SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toxdocar

Take sub to small claims court over horrific mess he made?

ToxDocAR
15 years ago

Ok. It has been a long time since I have been on this board. My building experience has been a nightmare and coming to this board would just keep fueling my anger over it so I stayed away, lol!!! My house is almost done. My builder has been HORRIBLE. The funny thing was he was a family friend. We went with him because we thought he wouldn't screw us, well, we were wrong! $150K more than he said it would cost, 8 months longer, I had to do everything, he was the most unprofessional a$$hole I had ever encountered, tried to harrass me to pay his general liability & workers comp (not in contract). I could go on and on.

Anyways, to the question. The sub who built our staircase made a horrible mess. He built it inside the home (all the ,sanding etc.). He did some of the building upstairs and some of it downstairs. There is saw dust EVERYWHERE in the house. The staircase is made out of Lyptus wood. It has a pink tone to it. Our walls are coated with a pink dust from top to bottom. Some areas are so thick, you can write your name in it and see it from across the house! I expressed my concern while he was building it to both him and the builder. I was blown off. Basically he said "well, I guess that is part of woodworking" and "your cleaning service will be able to take care of it". I have had a cleaner come out to the house. She was astonished by the mess. Couldn't believe the walls and the thick layer of dust in the home and cabinets etc.

I am wondering if I can take him to small claims court to cover the portion of the cost of cleaning due to the excessive mess he made??? He has already been paid in full.

Comments (14)