SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chazparas

Way OT - Back from vacation into a mess

chazparas
15 years ago

Hey all,

Just venting a bit here. A long winded unspellchecked, unedited for grammer, vent.

I realize how trivial this is compared to our health and our loved ones, even the state of the world today. But...

I've been close to tears a few times and that takes quite a bit for this old "Brooklyn Boy"

Chase and I came home from our wonderful week in Provincetown yesterday. Even with me getting food poisoning for 2 days it was still a fantastic vacation.

When we walked into the house all the plants were sitting in saucers of water, kind of what I expected from the woman I HIRE to care for my plants when I'm gone. I've used her in the past and expect that most will be flooded.

I tag what needs watering and on what days to water, since the sun/plant room gets to way over 100 degrees daily this time of year the saucers usually evaporate by days end. No biggie, until...

I went to the back yard.

My beautiful gardens and containers had been watered once during the 10 days I was gone. There is no shade, everything faces the south. It didn't rain. I now live in a waste land.

Luckily all my hippis are indoors and survived.

Four brugmansias that were covered with buds are bare branches right now, not even leaves. I may see flowers when it freezes here. My night blooming oxypetalum dropped all it's buds so I probably won't see flowers on that again this year although there was one sad spent bud from the night before hanging there to tease me.

Black eyed susans/ phlox/ curly willows/ potted figs/ some gorgeous annuals all fried and I mean crisp fried.

I called the "woman" (any other word at this time will only get me trouble) and asked here when she was last here to water? "Yesterday" AHHHHHHHH she came by and continued to lie to my face. Some of these containers would take 2-3 days to dry out even on my stone patio in the sun. She said they didn't look like that yesterday, and that the hanging plants were crisp dry the day she first showed up to water them, (lies, I had watered them the morning she was to come the first day.) my hanging plants were/are epi cacti, they should do ok. Passiflora lady margaret and white wedding - dropped every freakin flower bud they had developing and many leaves crisped. My coffee tree, cane begonias, some potted grasses, gazanias!!! all toast.

There is so much more gone, Luckily we had some rain last night and I'll be out there supplementing with drip hoses and sprinklers all day.

Oddly a tropicana canna survived the heat and drought in the middle of the patio and was still blooming in it's bone dry container I'll have to plant more of them next year.

I am so disgusted right now.

My 80 something year old neighbor watered daily what she could from over the fence so a hydrangea was saved, I'm sure if this old neighbor could have made it over things would have been watered.

Sorry I dumped this here, Chase is kind of leaving me alone since we got home yesterday he hasn't seen me this distraught in years, as I looked around the gardens I would gasp when I would realize what dried heap I was looking at.

If she had any type of money I'd take her to court over this. It is her business, yep she makes a living taking care of things like this for other people.

Comments (17)

• chazparas
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Forgot to mention, She was being paid to come by at 1pm daily to water. Every day rain or shine. My exact words to her as they have been for the past 3 years I've used her.
    AAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Dear Chaz - You can vent any time you need to... I understand exactly how you feel! If it were me, I probably wouldn't have spared the words, and would have gotten myself into trouble! I would be so livid with anger, my blood pressure, which is usually on the low side of normal, would be through the roof! I would have a hard time restraining myself from choking the life out of that woman, and I use the term very loosely! How can people be so uncaring and callous in their treatment of others' property?! Especially when they're getting paid to look after it!!

If you gave her a check, I'd stop payment!

This is why we never take vacations, and why we can't even go for an entire weekend's visit up north... because I can't trust anyone to care for my animals and plants properly. I can water my indoor plants, and set it up so that they'll be ok for a few days, but I can't trust a soul to look after my dogs... no one understands that if they get loose for even a moment, the possibility that there will be bloodshed, or even death, is very real! Bulldogs aren't called "finish dogs" because they cross the finish line first!

Getting back to your unfortunate disaster... the only thing you can really do is salvage what you can, and not ever use this... person... to plant-sit for you again.

And I'm sure I'll catch heck for my next statement, but I just don't care... take comfort in the fact that what goes around, comes around... all we have to do in this life is treat others with the same kindness and respect that we want to be treated with, and when we don't, karma comes back at a future date to bite us in the backside.. hard!! It might not happen tomorrow, or the next day... but it WILL happen! Your neglectful, lying plant-sitter will feel the sting of karma, and the thing I've noticed, is that karma bites back a lot harder than the original infraction hurt.

In conclusion, I'm so very sorry to hear about your plant loss, Chaz... and if there's anything I can send you to alleviate some of the horror and sadness, I'm at your service! I have oodles of plants and perennials that would love to be a part of your gardens! Just say the word, and I would be more than pleased to help you feel better with a care package!

PS - I don't know if this has the power to bring a slight smile to your lips, or not... but that little rootless bulb you sent me is now fully rooted into its pot, and is growing leaves! You made me smile with the goodies you sent... the least I can do is help you smile by returning the favor!

• Related Discussions

OT: No Unplanned Vacation for me.

Q

Comments (11)
    OMG, Cindy, I'm glad we're just hearing the good news. That would have been obscene...dragging you back and away from your garden. Thank you for your service to your country and for Desert Storm. I just saw "Jarhead." It was quite interesting in that it was written by a vet...it gives some of us back in the states an idea of what it must be like in a war on that side of the world. Happy Birthday. You look great at your age!
    ...See More

Back from summer vacation with some hostas

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks everyone. Moc, I've learned how to use my Navi that is built into my vehicle to avoid expressways! We both have seen Niagara Falls before and it was so crowded. My DH was not being helpful and kept telling me to "turn here" onto the bridge to Canada. We didn't have papers to enter back into the USA, so I was getting stressed out, the hosta farms were much more relaxing. Phil, does your Summer Fragrance bloom? They are supposed to be super fragrant. I was up in Blairsville, Georgia for 5 days helping my son pack his house up for their move to Vermont. You sure do live in a beautiful part of the country Phil. I really wanted to stop by and see your gardens, but didn't have a minute free. I still have another child in the south and look forward to visiting your gardens next season. But oh my, the giant bees, lizards, and other creatures were way too much for me! Gesila
    ...See More

Back From Vacation Pics

Q

Comments (5)
    Hurrrrayyyyy! I have been stalking and if you can imagine instead of a tireless Energizer bunny beating his drum and substitute hand-wringing wailing and pacing, that's me! waiting for you to get back! and no! I wasn't patiently waiting AT ALL, haha! if you read back with how much I've been bragging about you and Boxofrox to Jim in my Eluane post, you'll know what I mean. tee-hee! Here is just one! of the several JeffAurora brags I was doing-- "As for JeffAurora, I am having major "withdrawal symptoms". He's still! on vacation in Mexico (supposed to be for a couple of weeks)... I first started stalking Jeff in May 21, 2009ÂI had great difficulty photographing the reds of my Lincolns and asked advice on the regular rose forum ThatÂs when he sent me this absolutely gorgeous photograph and told me that all his photos were in the Rose Gallery and that highlighted the day I "discovered the glories" of this separate forum... " When it comes to waiting for you to get back from Mexico, patience is the direct opposite of what I was doing... Again, absolutely gorgeous pics and your Gemini again so beautiful! I am so glad you've encouraged me with my Gemini... It's first flush was only 5 blossoms at the time of your encouragement(2 being snatched away by birds), and the 2nd flush was 29 plus 3 more extra buds getting ready to bloom, but unlike your Julia Child it spreads its blossoms steady and slow...It's actually just finishing its 2nd flush, but those 3 buds have yet to bloom...and I am hoping by then the 3rd flush will be starting... Hopefully if you have any bumblebees or honeybees amongst your roses you can get them for me with your closeups. Had a very sad situation with my Dad's honeybees and have been clipping like mad for them...They are my absolute favorite besides roses.... You are the red rose genius here! everything red is so luscious and beautiful...And Julia Child is amazing! I love her! My closeups with Fragrant Cloud are much blurrier, but for I too love my Fragrant Cloud tree rose, it is such a continual bloomer, it's always blooming, never a bloomless moment... Now that you're back those stupid beetles will hopefully be taught a lesson with soapy water drownings and tulle to get them to go away... Lilies are gorgeous too! Jeff I tried to grow them myself, but the light colored ones were destroyed by thrips and I had to transplant one to the non-thrips area...But get this!!!! the ones with the intense reds (the stargazer)was completely untouched in thrips territory...They sure don't like the deep reds do they or the hot colors of Fragrant Cloud and Lincoln, LOL! And now for Stalking JeffAurora Part 23....heeheeheehee!
    ...See More

OT.....Midst of a MESS...

Q

Comments (9)
    I cracked up, Punk, over the boyfriend thing....I totally spaced out and forgot that is what BF usually means. I should have typed in BFF (best friend forever). I had always mentioned my Dad by the full word cause DD meant dear daughter in my little nerd world. I easily get confused with the abbreviations myself. By the way, my 'other best friend' IS a guy...tho definitely not a boyfriend LOL. John has been my antiquing and dog show buddy for quite a few years, does the driving for me which is a huge help. Maybe I should refer to him as Dear John. LOL. He couldn't help us cause of his work schedule, but Mollie is a little dynamo! We had this placed all done by noon today and could enjoy lunch and relaxing a couple of hours after our work. More in another post with pix about today, and more pix. Janet, I'm so sorry you are in a Flare. Those things just can knock you flat on your butt and make it impossible to do much of anything. Take care of yourself, please. Oh, and you cracked me up too with your "dear dumb" sig. Too funny. That shoe can really fit me at times too. ;o) hugs, Karen
    ...See More
  • chazparas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey there Jodi,
    Thanks for your eyes/ears? LOL, words and offers. I strongly believe in Karma, I just hope this isn't repayment for my carefree NYC youth!!!!

That venting this morning really has helped me move on a bit, I've been composting what is gone, pruning to save what I can, and looking forward to next year. It's already too late in the season to plant here we've only got about 6 weeks of growing season left the nurseries here are getting their mums ready now.

I'm so thrilled that the little bulb I sent you is sprouting and has roots! Did I label it? It's a papillio, but it'll be years before you see a flower on it :(.

The only thing I'd like if you can is ONE of the yellow iris you wrote me about earlier. I have to think long and hard about what I put in the garden now so nothing else just yet.

Chase doesn't ask for much, but when he wants a holiday he asks that I go with him. Something I can't say no too he's a real gem and these holidays help keep him sane.

I'll have to find another way to get things watered, maybe that irrigation system will be cost effective in the long run. At least I could set the timer to run at peak heat/sun hours to keep things cool and moist.

Anyway thanks again my friend.

Chaz

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

My Pleasure, Chaz... I've got a yellow iris with your name on it! They really were beautiful in my garden this past spring, and I know they'll be just as lovely in yours!

I don't care so much that the little Papilio bulb won't bloom for a while... I'm just so thrilled that it took off and produced roots, and is now growing leaves! It was really something to watch!

I think, perhaps, an irrigation system would pay for itself... even just with the peace of mind you'd have... you could take your holiday trips, and be assured that your plants would still be alive and well upon your return! I've got lights on timers, and I know that you can set up watering systems the same way. It's a really good idea!

Well... give no more thought to the individual who made a mess of your gardens... it's not worth wasting your time on... I'm glad you're able to move forward and look to next year, already! You remind me of me! Quick to anger, but equally quick to forgive and forget! I'm still working on the forgive part, but I do forget pretty fast! Although, that could be due to my patchy memory and not so much my character! LOL!

I'll get a package together very soon, and I'll let you know before I drop it in the mail. I'm still trying to get other packages together for a few friends! I'm running so behind this year! But, I WILL get it all together!

I hope the rest of your day goes well... I'm off to sweat in the hot sun and thick humidity...

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh! THis is a tragedy! You have every right to mourn and be angry! Here, you can cry on my shoulder...I will probably join you!

IT sounds like you are going to need a lot of new plants. Some of yours may send up new shoots from the roots...I do hope so!

Well, clear up the debris, and see what recovers...then start planning some new plant adventures. Maybe install a drip system and definitely find a new garden assistant! I am sure we can help you with starts for a number of things.

This was truly an act of evil against you with those temperatures going on! It is hard to imagine the woman thinking that her lies would work!

I think Chase will have to buy you lots of lovely new plants (and that drip system on timers) to help you recover from this grief!

Big hug my friend, and I will try my hand at propagating those lilacs...bet Crystle was one that died? And oh yes, do you need new pussywillows? Do you have a window for fall planting in your climate?

• kitty747
    15 years ago

Chaz, allow me to cry with you. I get that way when somehow something happens to just one plant. Chances are your iris will survive. This is the time of year when many go into a sort of dormancy. That's why this is the time of year to move them if necessary. There may be other things that will come back with your TLC. All may not be lost. Just remember that many of us have an overstock on lots of things. Just ask. Take your time to calm down and get your nerves back on an even keel. Then assess what you need to do next - one step at a time. Don't take it all on at once. I wish you lived just a little closer to me, because I'd be there helping you out. If you have places to plant any new iris, let me know. Most of mine are named varieties. They may not be marked now, but when they bloom I can probably tell you who they are.

I also have lots of daylilies if you like those. Here again, most are named varieties -- I've just lost their tags. I plan to be moving lots of them in the spring, so I could send you roots. There are probably somewhere around a hundred or so of them. Also, come about October, I plan to be moving peonies. Here, again, a lot of named varieties, just no tags. If you were coming down to NJ, Ednie Bulb is practically giving away their Asiatics ($20/crate of 200-275, or 2 crates for $30), it's just that there is only one color/crate. We just bought five crates and divided up, plus bags and bags of 25 bulbs each. They won't exactly be spectacular this year, but next year should be gorgeous.

Once again, I'm so sorry for the agony you're going through and if there is anything we can do, let us know.
    Kitty

• chazparas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Liza, Kitty, Jodi,

As I was composting what was in the pots there were a few perennials that have definitely gone dormant, even some of the garden perennials are in a dormant state. Some green down at the base of the stems. All the Iris rhizomes are intact. The lupines are pretty much dormant this time of year anyway but the cover crop/ achiellia (sp) is pretty crisp but may come back from the base. The daylilies show green at their bottom; some of those babies get to be expensive!!!! I have monks hood that actually rose up to full height by early afternoon I guess from the rain last night. The plantings around the pond will be fine just a bit beat up, that soil held quite a bit of moisture compared to the surrounding areas.
    My paw paw and persimmon trees perked up as did the Stewartia. The hydrangeas that were out of reach of my neighbors hose took some beating; don't know if they will come back. They were beautiful lace caps.

We had some major rain storms pass through last night and some of the in ground stuff will come back but not put on a show this year for me. It seems that anything that was near the stone or pea gravel areas got hit the worst due to the reflected heat, and the hydrangeas and other plantings near a huge old maple just couldn't compete for moisture. The containers really took a horrible beating. And my pot ghetto is pretty much gone.

Liza, thanks for the shoulder yesterday it would have been soaked. I'm dealing better now. I think the lilac you sent will be okay it was within reach of my neighbor and there is some green in the few remaining leaves, the older ones are easily 50 years old and they will be fine I'm sure. 3 of the pussy willows are green at the bases maybe they'll be fine. Fall here is fine for planting shrubs and trees but I've found the perennials do better the earlier they are planted.

Jodi, sounds like we're very much alike, I blow up and then it blows over. I'll forgive but never forget (is that really forgiving then?) I just can't imagine what was going through her head, especially that she has done watering of the gardens for me over the past 3 years and knows how much has gone into them.

Kitty, I may take you up on the daylily offer in the future. I'm pretty much set for iris right now! And if I lived closer I'd have hired you!!!!! LOL, those deals on the Asiatic's are unbelievable!!! Once the red lily beetle here is under control I may consider a drive down for a deal like that!

Thanks for the generous offers and concern. I knew venting here would be a place where my trials would be completely understood! Right now I'm just going to continue clean up, take inventory and see how much damage has been done. I've given up on big displays for this year. It's time to let the garden rest and build it's strength now.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

It takes another gardener to know how one feels, not just about the joys, but about the tragedies, too! And you know what they say... what doesn't kill us only serves to make us stronger!

Your former plant-sitter obviously isn't a gardener... if she were, she'd understand how important all the work you've done to your yard is to you! She doesn't care about flora and fauna... she cares only about the money she can make pretending to look after it all while her clients are vacationing. Those kinds of people have empty souls... they're miserable people deep down inside, and we should really pity them... they never really see the beauty of nature around them, they'll never experience the emotion that a special flower in bloom can bring, and they'll never feel one with nature or experience the deep sense of accomplishment that working with nature brings. I've seen so many people like that, being in the dog breeding business as we are... people who look at plants and animals and only see the monetary value... it's sad, really.

When spring rolls around again, you're welcome to divisions, cuttings, young stock... whatever I have... of any of the multitude of perennials and shrubs in my gardens! I have Daylilies (both named and unnamed), iris (named and unnamed), columbine, rudbeckia, echinacea, hostas (named and unnamed), ferns (most named), heuchera (all named), monarda in 3 colors, roses (named and unnamed, large and miniature), and a plethora of other perennials and shrubs, the list too long to pull out of my memory at this moment in time! I'm not even through my first cup of coffee yet!

You have all winter to think about it, though... and you pretty much know what my gardens contain due to all the photos I've posted! There are some things that didn't make the photos, but I'll have a more detailed listing by then. I've always felt that the most beautiful and precious of plants come from the gardens of our friends. Gardening is for sharing! If not, then why grow all this beauty? Surely not to hoard for ones self! It can only be enjoyed fully if we share the beauty with others!

I sure wish your yard could have shared in all the rain we've gotten lately! Last year, this area of the country was low on precipitation, but we're surely making up for it this year! Not a week has gone by since spring that we haven't had at least one storm with an inch of rain! I've only had to run the soaker hoses once so far this season... last year, they ran constantly, it seems! In fact, we had more thunder storms last night!

Larry and I stood out in the garage and watched the lightening flash across the sky... the light show was incredible! The flashes were both orange and white-hot! Some were in the distance, but some were pretty close! Some flashes were like long bony fingers of orange reaching across the heavens and branching out, and others were thick blue-white spikes that tore from the clouds and shot straight to the ground! The thunder constantly rumbled, and it boomed loudly when a bolt hit close by! The accompanying rain was at times soft and light, and then it would downpour for a bit before tapering off to sprinkle again... it was an awesome storm! I'm always awed by nature!

Remember when you were a kid... and you were kind of scared of thunder storms? My Dad would kneel with us, backwards on the couch, facing the huge picture windows in our living room, and every time a lightening bolt would flash, we'd count... one-one thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand, like that... until the thunder sounded... and then my Dad would say, "See? That one was only 3 miles away!" And he would explain to us how heat lightening was generated, how rain formed in the clouds, the cycle of rain to ground water, and all those things you want to know about when you're a little kid... and before we knew it, the storm would pass... and we wouldn't be afraid anymore.

But I digress...

Sometimes, there are opportunities hidden in the guise of disaster... I agree with Lizalily... this is actually a good opportunity to think about getting those few plants that you've wanted, but just haven't had room for, or just haven't ordered yet. It's also a good time to think in terms of water conservation... planting things that can tolerate a bit of dry. If you plan on taking several trips during the summers, laying out a plan of irrigation, and drought tolerant plantings for the areas that won't be irrigated, might be something to think about. Things like ornamental grasses and sedums can really be eye catching, and once established, they don't require much in the way of watering!

I was all set to do some digging yesterday... to get some divisions ready to ship out... and the rains began! I suppose that's actually good, though... the divisions will be good and hydrated now, and should ship well with a lot less stress. The rain only set me back in seed collecting, saturating the pods. That will have to wait a few days, while the sun dries everything out. But, by this afternoon, the garden soil should be just about right for digging, and I can get some much needed dividing done! I did get lucky in that I got several perennials planted before the rains arrived yesterday! The rains gave the new plantings a good, deep drink!

Well... I think that between Lizalily, Kitty, myself, and others... you'll be swimming in pass-along plants and divisions and cuttings for your gardens next spring! Put together a list of the colors and heights you're looking for, perennials and shrubs, seeds, and anything else you think you might want to add to your beautiful beds, and we'll all keep our shovels and pruning clippers clean, sharpened and at the ready! And by next summer, you're gardens will be so gorgeous, you won't have to go anywhere else for a vacation... your back yard will be a paradise!

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

Chaz, this also calls for remedies for a color emergency! Now is the time to run to a nursery and see what annuals they have that are still in good condition. I would plant up 3 large mixed pots in strategic places to see me through the rest of the summer! Some fragrant herbs will help too!

I HAVE been working on an emergency of the opposite type...trying to get rid of the rampant overgrowth of my gardens after a very cool summer. I am finally back to being able to garden on a regular basis after my knee replacements, and oh my goodness, what a wilderness! Anything inclined to be a rampant weed has taken over and worked at crowding out the more tender things. Edges of gardens have been lost in grass pathways by a husband who is afraid to mow too close to my beds for fear of getting something I care about (Also just tired and taking short cuts!) A month ago everything was mixed with 4' tall yellow buttercup blossoms and 5 tall blooming grass that I Am allergic too! Now at last I Can begin to work these beds but it is mostly getting the grass out and just breaking off the buttercup so it looks better. I think all winter will be spent in digging out buttercup!

DH has been traveling a lot for work and yard work is not high on his agenda now that he is home for a spell! He tried to tell me "we" should give up the gardens because "we" can not keep up with them anymore! Heck, we are only 62 and 63 and I just got both knees redone so I COULD keep up with the gardening! Have I mentioned that business travel distorts his thinking, LOL? He seems calmer about the whole thing now that we have spent a couple of weekends taming the scenery, and he is recovering from jet lag. MY argument is is that our gardens are our fitness program and otherwise he would have to pay for membership in a gym and stop there for boring exercise sessions on his way home. THis way he gets to come home and work on something that shows improvements while he gets his healthful work out.

But yes, I would be delighted to send any plants that you want when the time is right. Just let us know what kind of things you want. No need to spend huge amounts of money on plants when we are dividing them and have extras!
    And by the way, Schreiners Iris Gardens are having a half price sale right now with many beautiful ones at only $5 each. They are the best iris's I have found. We visited their display gardens in early June this year and even that late they were spectaclar!

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Even though the rain held off today, and we got a bit of respite from the heat, I sat this day out... after coming in from taking care of the kennel, and walking the gardens to check everything, I just couldn't muster the energy to go back out and do any work. For some reason, my joints and bones just wouldn't cooperate. So, I napped.

The ground is too wet to dig anything or plant anything, and nothing needed watering... not after the drenching we got the night before! So, the only thing I could really do would be pulling weeds, and my heart just wasn't in it... not to mention my bones!

You are so right, Lizalily... gardening takes the place of boring workout routines, and it keeps me moving and a lot more fit than if I did anything else! I doubt I'd sweat so much in a gym! Oh, right... we ladies are supposed to perspire... well, I sweat like an overheated sumo wrestler when I work out in the gardens! Especially when it's hot, and the humidity is so thick you need a sword to slice through it!

Sweating is good for us, though... it helps remove the toxins from our bodies, and if you ever read ingredient labels on the stuff we call food products, you know we have to be slightly toxic, to say the least!

Digging in the beds, pulling weeds, planting, dividing, mulching, composting, and hauling all the waste in our trusty wheelbarrows has got to work most of the major muscle groups! I know I feel it the day after I begin garden clean-up in the spring! Imagine all the calories we're burning! Imagine how good the cardio is for our hearts!

Yep... gardening is a tough exercise program! But it's never boring, and the end result is twofold... beautiful flowers and plants, and a healthier heart! You can't get that by joining a health club!

Give it some time, Lizalily! You'll catch up! It took me a while to get a handle on the weeds in a few of the beds here, but I've almost got it all under control! As soon as I turn my back to work on another garden project, though, those sneaky weeds will grow right back! I just know it!

Hopefully, the ground will have dried out a bit by morning, and I'll actually be able to get something done. There's always so much to do, but I try to take it one project at a time. Now... if my bones will just cooperate tomorrow, I'll be in business!

• chazparas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just a quick update here, huge storm overhead now and I wanna sign off before the pc gets fried!
    Was complaining to a friend who works at a nursery here in my city, I'm pretty friendly with his boss too. When I got home tonight there were two harlequin honeysuckles and a 4foot red double rose of sharon standard in my back yard waiting for me.
    Dang, plant people are wonderful!!

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Yes they are! How awesome! I can just picture that double red rose of sharon! We have a nice sized little tree on the corner with purple flowers, and it performs rather well every year! I'm not familiar with the harlequin honeysuckle, but I do know what the more common varieties look like. Hummingbirds flock to ours when it blooms!

It sounds like you need to invest in a really good surge protector... and not one of those cheap strips, either! Every computer I've ever had has been attached to a Blackout Buster, and I've surfed through every storm we've ever had, power outage or not! The one I'm using right now is going on 10 years old, has been through a house fire, and is just now losing its battery backup power. It still takes every surge and brownout like a champ! They're not cheap, but it's a wonderful investment against the loss of equipment!

Did you know that turning off the power on your PC while you're not using it kills your power supply? Without electricity to keep the internal fans running to cool off the components, the heat builds beyond the normal running temperature before finally cooling down, and faster loss of your computer is imminent. It's better to hook up a high quality surge protector, and keep your electronic components running. Use a screen saver to keep your monitor healthy. The actual power cost of leaving your machine running is exceedingly low compared to the cost of replacing your computer!

In all the years I've been with Larry, we've never shut down our computers or televisions, except for hard boots on the computer, or if we were gone for more than a day. That's right... our computers and television sets run 24 hours a day, 365 days a year... give or take! We've never, ever, had a power supply burn out on any of our equipment!

I'm not certain what a Blackout Buster will set you back these days... when we purchased mine about 10 years ago, it cost right around a hundred dollars, which would have been pretty expensive for one, then. I highly recommend you check into them!

Those little $9.99 power strip surge protectors sold everywhere aren't worth the price tag attached! Every time a surge hits one of those, and it happens way more frequently than you'd think, not just with lightening from storms, the power bar burns out a little bit more... until finally, it can't take any more surges, and it allows your equipment to fry.

Google "blackout buster surge protector", and the first 2 links to come up are both consumer ratings on the product... both give it high marks. They claim that it gives you a backup time of about 10-20 minutes, but it's actually quite a bit more. I wouldn't use anything else at this point in time! And, no, I don't work for the company, or know anyone who does! I have owned one for the past 10 years, and have a new one ready to plug in when this one finally dies!

Getting back to gardening...

I wanted to post a picture of our Rose of Sharon tree, but it seems that PhotoBucket is currently down for maintenance. Oh well... perhaps at a later time...

Anyway... I'm glad to hear that you were gifted with plants! Gardeners are very special people!

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

PhotoBucket is cooperating at this particular moment, so here's the Rose of Sharon...

{{gwi:419203}}

And a closer look...

{{gwi:419206}}

I just know that your new red double will look way more exciting than this common purple variety!

• wildebloem
    15 years ago

Great big bummer, ouch. I am always so grateful to have a wonderful caretaker. Victor is a horticulturist who was my husband's student years ago. When we visited my family in Europe for a month, he and his wife Brenda took the best care of the greenhouse, the gardens, AND the pets. Not just that, they said we should not pay them for every day because it rained some of the time...

Don't despair, keep looking. There are some really good caretakers out there. And do spread the word about this woman so others do not suffer.

Thinking of that woman's karma puts a great big smirk on my face - probably not the best idea for MY karma.

• mariava7
    15 years ago

((((Chaz)))) I'm so sorry to hear/read about what happened to your garden. Now where does she live? Let's go get her and hang her upside down! Grrrrrrr!!!

If there's anything I could do to help you recover your garden/plants, please remember that I am just an email away. :-)

• salpal
    15 years ago

Ohhh- I adore vacationing and FEEL for you. What a pain! I went on a small one and had a sister and a friend come, both of them looked after my 4 kitties AND all my containers! My friend I always leave lots of gas $$$ for and she is wonderful! I've never hired a service but maybe you'd be better off hiring a gardening friend? My next vacations will be without my honey and he will be my caretaker- I worry and try to explain my watering methods and he sighs- I hope for the best. At least you can just ditch that woman, I'd never hire her again!! (but don't wish to ditch my BF)

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

It just occurs to me, Chaz, that I never even mentioned how sorry I was that you had to experience food poisoning on your vacation! I got it once... long ago... and I thought I was going to die! I was so very sick! I think I got it from some pork bbq at a 4th of July party... I'll never eat picnic food after arriving late to a party... never, ever again!

And... just for your information... the ground should be ready to dig up those yellow Iris, either today or Sunday... I was thinking of mailing your care package early next week, if that works for you!

I hope you're feeling better, on all counts! :-)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions