SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valleymagpie

Soundproofing bathroom door

13 years ago

Hi everyone,

We finished our home a year or so ago, and I am finding our powder room has a noise problem. It is in the entry hall in close proximity to the family/living room. I think I have isolated the problem to the door. We have solid wood doors but they are Shaker-panel, and have quite thin panels. We have a fire door to the garage just opposite the bathroom and it is very effective at sound insulation. Problem is, it costs $900! Here is my (weird?) question: Would it help to put acoustical tile in the recessed panels of the door on the bathroom side? I could cover them with wallpaper or fabric or something...anyone ever tried anything like this? DH thinks it's no big deal but to me it is super embarrassing when we have guests, hearing all the bathroom noise.

Anyway, it will probably be a cold day in you-know-where before he replaces the bathroom door with a fire door. I have a door sweep on the bottom and we have staggered studs and rock wool insulation which seems to control the noise through the walls.

Any other suggestions? I know I could get a more solid door but it would be the only one in the house that's different, and there are three doors in the entry hall...it would just look funny.

I've gotten lots of good advice on the forums, hope you can help me with this one!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH