SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurensmom21_gw

round 2: please help with elevations & stairs!

laurensmom21
9 years ago

Well, we got the revisions back from the designer. And we took 1 step forward and 10 steps back - anyone else ever feel like this?! It's almost laughable at this point.... my #1 desire throughout this whole (4 year) process has been wanting my sink under a kitchen window. So what happens... he sends me back a plan with my sink in the island!!! WHAT!?

anyway, here's the latest plan - please critique. Obviously, I'm moving the sink back to the window wall. I understand why he did it - for exterior reasons - but I will be changing that and putting a bank of 3 windows on that wall. Then mimicking that look in the study. Will that look ok? Not the original look of the inspiration, pic - but I'm too over all of this to really care.

My main issue now is the stairs - can anyone figure out a better stair design? that walkway through to the family room is too tight and I don't like how I'll have a nice 6ft cased opening to the family, but then a janky 3ft opening by the stairs - shouldn't they match up? (sorry, can you tell I'm a little cranky this morning?)

Upstairs - got a whole lot bigger, ugh. Bath - we will shorten the vanity to fit a pocket door in there to close off the toilet/bath.

Elevations - what do you think? I like the overall look, however we need to beef up the trim on the windows and put some more details in there (belly band? beefier frieze & rake?) I feel like the back is a little too flat & boring as well. We're also not sure about the little dormers on the front? Dh thinks the one on the left should definitely be nixed. Should the right one stay or get bigger or what? Would it look bad without the little dormers?

Thanks for your help! I'm thankful I can come here and vent as I feel like most of my friends and family don't share my love of architecture & need for details...

inspiration pic:

Comments (6)