SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keepitunder20

Who puts in Shower Pan

keepitunder20
15 years ago

Can anyone help with this? My tiler said that the plumber will put in the new shower pan and do the rough in for the fixtures. Then the tiler comes back and puts in the new tile.

Do I want the plumber to put in the pan? I asked if the pan was sloped and he said no, it's rubber, but the mud and tile are sloped. He said he uses a premix called something like Bonzelle. Probably spelling that wrong.

Does this sound right? Only asking because I thought I saw something about the pan needing to be sloped and he had never heard of that. My shower is 30 X 68 approx.

Comments (18)

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You're right. the pan DOES need to be sloped. Some areas require the plumber to install it by code. That still doesn't excuse the pan from being sloped. This is covered in SEVERAL places, including the IRC (International Residential Code), The Universal Plumbers Code, as well as ANSI Specs governing the construction of a tile shower pan. I'll post the IRC and UPC Codes:

IRC Preslope code:
    2000 IRC:
    P2709. 3 Installation. Lining materials shall be pitched one-fourth unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (2-percent slope) to weep holes in the subdrain by means of a smooth, solidly formed subbase, shall be properly recessed and fastened to ap-proved backing so as not to occupy the space required for the wall covering, and shall not be nailed or perforated at any point less than 1 inch (25. 4 mm) above the finished threshold.

Uniform Plumbing Code related to shower pan construction.

"412.8 When the construction of on-site built-up shower receptors is
    permitted by the Administrative Authority, one of the following means shall
    be employed:
    (1) Shower receptors built directly on the ground:
    Shower receptors built directly on the ground shall be watertight and shall
    be constructed from approved type dense, non-absorbent and non-corrosive
    materials. Each such receptor shall be adequately reinforced, shall be
    provided with an approved flanged floor drain designed to make a watertight
    joint in the floor, and shall have smooth, impervious, and durable surfaces.
    (2) Shower receptors built above ground:
    When shower receptors are built above ground the sub-floor and rough side of
    walls to a height of not less than three (3) inches (76 mm) above the top of
    the finished dam or threshold shall be first lined with sheet plastic*,
    lead* or copper* or shall be lined with other durable and watertight
    materials.
    All lining materials shall be pitched one-quarter (1/4) inch per foot
    (20.9 mm/m) to weep holes in the subdrain of a smooth and solidly formed
    sub-base. All such lining materials shall extend upward on the rough jambs
    of the shower opening to a point no less
    than three (3) inches (76 mm) above the top of the finished dam or threshold
    and shall extend outward over the top of the rough threshold and be turned
    over and fastened on the outside face of both the rough threshold and the
    jambs.
    Non-metallic shower sub-pans or linings may be built-up on the job site
    of not less than three (3) layers of standard grade fifteen (15) pound (6.8
    kg) asphalt impregnated roofing felt. The bottom layer shall be fitted to
    the formed sub-base and each succeeding layer thoroughly hot mopped to that
    below. All corners shall be carefully fitted and shall be made strong and
    watertight by folding or lapping, and each corner shall be reinforced with
    suitable webbing hot-mopped in place. All folds, laps, and reinforcing
    webbing shall extend at least four (4) inches (102 mm) in all directions
    from the corner and all webbing shall be of approved type and mesh,
    producing a tensile strength of not less than fifty (50) psi (344.5 kPa) in
    either direction. Non-metallic shower sub-pans or linings may also consist
    of multi-layers of other approved equivalent materials suitably reinforced
    and carefully fitted in place on the job site as elsewhere required in this
    section.
    Linings shall be properly recessed and fastened to approved backing so
    as not to occupy the space required for the wall covering and shall not be
    nailed or perforated at any point which may be less than one (1) inch (25.4
    mm) above the finished dam or threshold. An approved type sub-drain shall be
    installed with every shower sub-pan or lining. Each such sub-drain shall be
    of the type that sets flush with the sub-base and shall be equipped with a
    clamping ring or other device to make a tight connection between the lining
    and the drain. The sub-drain shall have weep holes into the waste line. The
    weep holes located in the subdrain clamping ring shall be protected from
    clogging.

*Lead and copper sub-pans or linings shall be insulated from all conducting
    substances other than their connecting drain by fifteen (15) pound (6.8 kg)
    asphalt felt or its equivalent and no lead pan or liner shall be constructed
    of material weighing less than four (4) pounds per square foot (19.5 kg/m2).
    Copper pans or liners shall be at least No. 24 B & S Gauge (0.02 inches)
    (0.5 mm). Joints in lead pans or liners shall be burned. Joints in copper
    pans or liners shall be soldered or brazed. Plastic pans shall not be coated
    with asphalt based materials."

• Related Discussions

Frameless Shower Door & Shower Pan Size

Q

Comments (5)
    @Lazygardens - I mentioned above we want to enlarge it to 36" W x 48"D or Deeper, but anything above a 36" Wide shower will make the closet in the bedroom we are taking the space away from not work. We are taking the large closet away from this room, and need to replace it with a smaller 48" W x 24" D Closet. As mentioned above does anyone know where I can find quality shower pans with the 36" side that has the entrance? I looked into having the pan be custom tiled, but I am worried about having long term maintenance issues regarding leaking and mold.
    ...See More

Who Installs Shower Pans

Q

Comments (1)
    Look in the yellow pages under shower pans. There are companies that specialize in them.
    ...See More

Can a shower curtain be used w/ a Kohler shower pan?

Q

Comments (44)
    I keep revisiting this thread, hoping for a Sign. :) Is it ever acceptable to use a shower pan and create a tile threshold over it, thereby making it higher? As for cleaning the nonskid elements of a shower or tub. I have some wonderful nonskid strips in my otherwise very slippery acrylic tub where I take my showers. Yes, they pick up and hold grime a little too well and you can't just go gangbusters cleaning acrylic. The other day I used some Softscrub and a curved nail brush that fits around a couple of fingers. With very little elbow grease ALL the grime was removed and the shape of the nail brush is very ergonomic.
    ...See More

Install a prefab shower pan over concrete shower pan?

Q

Comments (3)
    What Verbo said. Go down to the subfloor--you already know there are issues with the waterproofing of the existing shower, so putting a new pan in top will just magnify that.
    ...See More
  • keepitunder20
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Mongo! What is the membrane? Is that the pan that you put the mud into? Can I ask what state you are in. I'm in North Carolina. I wonder if it is code here that it has it be sloped. I hope so.

Do you mean that the subfloor has to be sloped before the pan is put in? Because if the pan is rubber how can that be sloped? That's why you call it a preslope I guess. Does that mean that they have to redo the subfloor? Believe it or not I don't need an inspection because I'm not moving walls. So I really need to know myself what has to be done. I just hope I can find someone who does this the correct way.

Cathy

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

Well the law of gravity even applies everywhere, even North Carolina. So regardless of whether or not it is code, water which reaches the membrane will not drain properly unless it is sloped.

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

Cathy,

It looks like I messed up the link to Harry's article. Try this instead. Step-by-step photos.

The subfloor is flat.

On top of the subfloor goes a slip sheet, usually tar paper, that is stapled to the subfloor. On top of the tar paper goes metal lathe, expanded diamond mesh, that is nailed to the subfloor.

On top of the diamond mesh you make your preslope from deck mud. It slopes from the walls to the drain at a pitch of between 1/4" per foot and 1/2" per foot. Those are the minimum and maximum allowed by code. That is your "preslope". Deck mud has two dry ingredients, sand and portland cement. You then add just enough water so the mix is just wet, sort of like sand castle sand. You dump it on the mesh and then "pack" it into place with a wood trowel or some other tool. It's also referred to as "dry pack".

On top of your preslope goes your "rubber membrane". It is usually 40-mils thick and actually is not rubber, it is usually CPVC or CPE. It is secured at the drain by being clamped to the drain, at the walls it runs up the lower portion of the wall about 10" and is fastened to the wall framing at the 10" height.

You can't tile directly on the membrane, so you add another layer of deck mud on top of the membrane.

Now you tile on the second layer of deck mud.

Clear as deck mud?

Mongo

• allexc
    15 years ago

Cathy,

I ran into similiar situation like yours. I was just about to gave you the link Mongo provided. He beats me. :)... Anyway, the basic idea here is to water proof the shower stall, unfortunately a lot of the tilers do not know what they are doing. I ended up using Shluter system instead. There are quite a few advantages if you read the link below. Mongo have an excellent photo step by steps if you'd like go with this route, check the thread "Kerdi Shower" in this forum.

Allex

Here is a link that might be useful: My reasons to switch to Kerdi

• keepitunder20
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again Mondo! That's a great link to the step by step photos! I even got my husband to look at them. It was pretty interesting to see the way it's supposed to be done. Now I know the questions to ask. I have a feeling a lot of tilers skip that first preslope step, so I hope I can find someone who knows how to do it right. The Kerdi system is interesting Alex but I don't know that I can deal with trying to find someone to do it that way so I think I'm just going to have to find a really good tiler.

Cathy

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

The Kerdi system is interesting Alex but I don't know that I can deal with trying to find someone to do it that way

Cathy-- I know top notch installers all over the country. Where abouts are you?

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

If you don't feel comfortable posting your location, email it to me.

• keepitunder20
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry Bill. I wasn't ignoring you just haven't been on until now. I am in the Cary/Raleigh triangle area of North Carolina and I would love to know of a good tiler and plumber if you have that!

I spoke with my tiler (haven't hired him yet) and he puts a rubber pan (from a plumbing supply store) down over the floorboards and then puts the mud down on a slope towards the drain. That's it. He said moisture can't get through because of the pan unless there is a lead in the pan and he checks that first. There is only 1 time he puts down mud. He said he uses Bonsal products because they are the best. He knew nothing about the other steps. And he wasn't cheap. He came hightly recommended.

Cathy

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

The Bonsal pans are preformed pans, and they are sloped for drainage.

Though I've never used one, I think they are probably tile ready, which means that you tile directly to the pan itself.

If tile ready there's no need to pack the pan with a thickness of mud.

But again, since I'm not familiar, I'll defer to your installer. I'd at least try to peruse the installation instructions beforehand.

Mongo

• keepitunder20
    Original Author
    15 years ago

From what I understand, the Bonsol rubber pan is not presloped. It goes directly on top of the floor and then he puts mud on top of it and slopes it. Then the tile does on top of that with a slope.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

You understand correctly. What Mongo's talking about is a hard solid pan that's ready made for tiling over, no mud required.

Your installer's correct in that moisture can't get thru. however, without help from gravity (which is where the preslope comes in) it won't reach the weep holes, either, which means it'll just sit in the mud bed of your shower, "fermenting", with all the skin oils, dead skin, sweat, etc. that you wash off when you take a shower. now you'll have what will resemble a pharmaceutical experiment gone terribly wrong inside your mud bed, all because he doesn't want to take the time and install your shower pan the way it should be.

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

Then I'm thinking of a different product.

Just to confirm I did a quick google and found this:

"Bonsal Co. offers the ProForm Shower Pan, a tile-ready waterproof pan. The shower pan will not retain moisture. Installation requires a glue connection to a standard PVC drainpipe. The pans are pre-sloped to drain and tile can be applied directly to the sloped pan."

So it sounds like we have two different products in mind.

If he's not using Bonsal's ProForm pan, which is a preformed pan, then the only other thing I can think of off the top of my noggin is he's using B-6000, which is a liquid topical roll- or trowel-on membrane.

If he's applying the B-6000 to the flat subfloor, then packing in a sloped base of mortar on top of the membrane, then tiling on that, that does not meet code. And if code doesn't not apply in your area, then I'll just say it doesn't meet the basic standards for constructing a shower.

In this case the B-6000 would be considered the "membrane" or the "liner". Go back to Bill's first post and read what he highlighted in bold about the liner needing to be sloped.

If he's not using the Bonsal ProForm pan or the Bonsal B-6000, then I have no idea what he's using. I'm not sure if Bonsal markets a traditional 40-mil pan membrane. But if they do, that should be sloped as well.

Mongo

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

I'd be willing to bet the liner is either CPE or PVC. Either way, it needs to be presloped. End of story.

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

End of the "same ole story", eh?

• keepitunder20
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think you're both right. He does use Bonsal products but it couldn't be the liner because when I looked in Lowes, the liner was just a roll out liner and I know he doesn't do it the way you guys explain. Do you know of anyone in my area that does the right job?

Cathy

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

I'm waiting to hear back right now. I know he's in NC-- just not sure WHERE in NC.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus