SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

Thermador vs. Wolf Rangetop

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

I had been set on a Wolf rangetop until I read a recent thread in the Kitchen forum which said Wolf went to sealed burners for cost reasons, not for product improvement. The Consumer Reports for their latest range model wasn't very good. We currently have a sealed burner GE Profile which I like and thought was fairly easy to clean vs. things dripping below into a drip pan, but the poster was adamant that the latter was easier to clean. She also wondered if this was the start of the demise of Wolf, a la Viking (no offense to current Viking owners).

I was also considering Thermador but heard it was a slightly lesser brand than Wolf. Why is that if Thermador has all 18K BTU whereas the Wolf burners vary and only go up to 15K? Also, both tout their simmer capability. Can anyone explain which simmer is better? Lastly, Thermador has a good deal; buy the cooktop and double ovens and get the DW for free. We were thinking of keeping the 1999 Thermador ovens in the new house to save costs while doing a complete kitchen reno. The inspector said they worked but couldn't tell us more about performance beyond that. Some KDs have suggested that we just replace it, whereas others said that they could make the cabinet 30" to allow for a larger replacement down the road. So unless we give up on the old ovens, we won't be able to take advantage of the promo. Also, is Thermador only sealed?

Wolf's promo involves buying a refrigerator which we don't need. We're keeping the 1999 SubZero and hoping that doesn't break yet. The KDs all seemed to think we could keep the SubZero with minimal risk. Even though an appliance rep said in general that large appliances have a 10 year life. i thought it was 15 (granted he said some break sooner and some last longer)

Please advise. Thank you

Comments (3)