SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vvesper

bathroom project cost savings

vvesper
9 years ago

OK. We've been planning on new floors, countertop and backsplash in the kitchen. Hoping that will happen in the fall, as the tile floor in there and the countertop have some issues.

However, we now have tile lifting on the floor of our master shower. We don't have the time or the skills to do this ourselves. Having had two tile showers in two different houses fail, I am adamant that I will hire a tile setter who knows what he's doing - not some hack. I realize that may cost me a bit more in labor.

But are there other places I might save some money on the unexpected bathroom remodel? The existing tile has (of course) been discontinued, so it appears we will have to re-tile the whole bathroom. I wasn't feeling too bad about this originally. But I got my first estimate last week, and the cost of re-tiling a bathroom has apparently doubled since the one we had done in Virginia. Yikes! That was only 12 years ago.

Any suggestions for cost savings without cutting corners on the skill of the tile guy? This is just tiling and a new countertop--no new toilet or tub or vanity.

Thanks!

Comments (6)