SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mazsoladc

Can this bathroom be saved?

Mazsola
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My husband and I are locked in a mortal battle of wills over renovating our bathroom. When we bought the house last year, it was on our list of “must do” projects, but now that we’ve lived with it for a while, he’s ”fallen in love” and doesn’t want to rip anything out. I am not pleased. But I’m also willing to consider a compromise.

Most of the bathroom hasn’t been touched since it was built in 1964. The materials are extremely high quality, but dated. We do have money budgeted for a renovation, but there are tons of projects in the house, so anything we don’t spend here lets us do other things we’d like to tackle....

Here is how it looks now:

Yes, that is a giant tub made of marble slabs 🤦🏻‍♀️

I should have turned the shower light on — inside is more marble (the floor and 8” up the side are a pinker hue), and 6 vintage body spray jets that are actually awesome.

All the hardware is gold and crystal. It’s a lot. But it’s

My husband is just loathe to rip out such high quality materials, when everything is working well. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth trying to save it, or if I should just insist we start over from scratch.

Here’s my current list of ideas. I’d love to hear any comments or ideas!

-pick out a shade from the marble and paint everything so it actually works together; I could go with a shade of cream or gray, but I’m leaning toward something really rich a moody, like a Merlot. Maybe paint the vanity, sink, and ceiling dark, too?

-find a great vintage Persian carpet runner to warm up the floor.

-replace shower door with something frameless; not sure if a hinge or barn slider would be better?

-tile the wall behind the tub and next to the toilet with something like a zellige, in shade that‘s a tonal match to either the marble or the wall.

-maybe put in a big window behind the tub!

-definitely put some plants in the corners

-maybe hang a fun light fixture over the tub?

-do something with the medicine cabinets. They’re functional, but ugly....

What do you think? is this bathroom redeemable? Would you go in a totally different direction? im Really kind of floundering, so any comments Or ideas are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (41)