SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Adobe Reader?

jane__ny
11 years ago

Got a warning from AVAST regarding Adobe Reader. Is anyone doing anything about this? I got rid of Java, is it time to get rid of Reader?

Thanks,
Jane

Comments (22)

• corrine_mvp
    11 years ago

Thanks for linking to my blog post, Joe.

Jane, just as I got rid of Java several years ago, I also replaced Adobe Reader. I selected Sumatra PDF because I didn't care for it when Foxit added the Ask Toolbar.

I selected Sumatra because it has a small footprint and is not a target like Adobe Reader. I have not had any problems opening PDF files at sites that have "Adobe Reader Required".

With Sumatra, you can select text or an image and copy it. It also has a Restricted Mode available. If you don't like the yellow background, it can easily be changed. (Sounds like it is time for me to create a blog post about Sumatra.)

Supported OS: Windows 7, Vista, XP.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sumatra PDF

• Related Discussions

Adobe Reader 8.1.4 - should I update?

Q

Comments (6)
    it is a very new update and yes it is a security update so I would do the update, you should be able to just open your adobe and hit update. You can definitely get foxit if you prefer it is a good program, it has had some security updates lately also because the same holes were found in both applications. However it has recently gone in the hall of shame for trying to get you to install un needed and un wanted toolbars and other things so be careful, if you search here I posted a thread about what to watch for, I think it had foxit in the title so search for that.
    ...See More

adobe reader 9.X

Q

Comments (4)
    Maybe ... if it was servered up with an expired trust certificate from somewhere other than adobe you don't know if its been hacked or not. It becomes a file from another computer and is always suspect ... you might be able to go into its properties and personally approve it. I don't know how securina thinks & also haven't used Adobe Reader in quite a long time. Use PDF-XChange here.
    ...See More

Adobe Reader

Q

Comments (2)
    If they are in .pdf form, See link for additional measures you can take, or uninstall adobe and install Foxit reader. Here is a link that might be useful: adobe-problems
    ...See More

my adobe reader isn't working

Q

Comments (4)
    Open Firefox, Click on Tools, Add-ons, Get Add-ons Search for "PDF", then pick one of listed search results to add and activate. Then when you click on a PDF download on a webpage, it will open in Firefox.
    ...See More
  • zep516
    11 years ago

You're welcome Corrine :).

Thanks for additional infomation too, I was not sure what to recommend so my post was short. Mozilla disabled Foxit reader plug-in for security reasons, however I can still view PDF'S need to research that plugin thing...

Joe

• emma
    11 years ago

Sorry Jane, I hope I am not hijacking your thread.

Corrine, thank you for that information. I am going to check into Sumatra.

I have 3 adobes in my programs add and remove. Adobe Air, Adobe Flash Player 11 Active X and Adobe Flash Player 11 Plug in. Are they readers and if I decide to use Sumatra do I need to remove them all.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 14:43

• emma
    11 years ago

I found my answer.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I like Sumatra also and I do use pdf xchange free version
    too. I never had adobe on my new PC and removed it long ago on the others.

• emma
    11 years ago

Raven when I googled the uninstalling adobe and a couple of links I read said there is a printing problem using Samatra. Do you know if that is true.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    11 years ago

I am not currently using sumatra I am using pdf xchange but I know Corrine does use sumatra. I have had no problems with pdf xchange and printing.

• Elmer J Fudd
    11 years ago

Threat messages and software vulnerabilities come out every week. EVERY week. If you want to learn about and heed all possible warnings, it'll keep you busy most days, up most nights, and worried most moments in between. That's one approach, here's another:

#1. Never open emails from unknown senders. I'll hope you follow this advice but if you don't, NEVER click on a link in an unknown email and NEVER open an attached file.

#2. Get (probably need to buy) an integrated security package that includes anti-virus, firewall, anti-malware and internet protection. Using separate programs is less effective. It's cheap insurance.

#3. Don't visit non-mainstream websites and DON'T download anything unless it's from a major website as a source.

#4 If your email account is flooded with spam, get a new one. Send a message to your contacts telling them of your new address, you won't miss a beat (or a message). Gmail (Google) seems to have a particularly good spam filter.

Don't worry, be happy.

• emma
    11 years ago

Thanks Raven

• corrine_mvp
    11 years ago

Hi, EmmaR. I have an old Kodak EasyShare 5300 AiO printer and just tested printing a PDF from Sumatra. No problem whatsoever.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the great responses.

EmmaR, I'd appreciate what you found out regarding Flash and Adobe Air. I have those on my machines also. Could you please post the answer as others would appreciate the information

Corrine, thanks for the info and recommendation. I'll give Sumatra a try. Always good to see you here.

Snidely, thanks for the reply. I do keep a close watch on my machines and run tools which have come through this forum. The pop-up I got was from Avast regarding security issues with Adobe Reader and recommended changing the settings to high-security or removing it entirely.
    I always check here first before doing anything.

Jane

• emma
    11 years ago

Jane, I did not find an answer about uninstalling. I didn't want to make waves so I left it at that. What I found out were comments about the printing problem. I didn't look past that.
    I am the type "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". What I have is fine.

• DA_Mccoy
    11 years ago

Historically AR can be difficult to remove. I have had the most success with REVO in the advanced mode. During the process I allow REVO to remove all located orphaned files and registry entries. It is surprising how many leftovers there is from AR's built-in uninstaller (stage one of the process).

I did have an episode which required me to sign on as the system administrator to fully complete the process.

I then follow up with CCleaner's registry tool. It seems to always find an entry or two missed by REVO.

DA

• grandms
    11 years ago

@Emma and Jane: Not necessary to uninstall Air and Flash. Just make sure you keep the latest versions.

By the way, I have been using Foxit Reader for some time. I think there is an "add-on" tool bar that you'll want to opt out of, but I find it very easy to use, print from, and no wild colors in the default version. Also a very light weight reader.

• corrine_mvp
    11 years ago

Adobe Reader is in no way related to Adobe Flash Player, Adobe AIR or Adobe Shockwave Player. If you are replacing Adobe Reader with another program, leave Adobe Flash Player.

I still have Adobe Flash Player installed but uninstalled Adobe AIR after I removed the program that needed it. As I recall it was a Twitter program that needed Adobe AIR. It did not require any special tools to remove it. (Note: I do not recommend using Revo in advanced mode unless you are very knowledgeable about what you are doing.)

I've never had a need for Adobe Shockwave Player on this Windows 7 computer.

For those interested in changing the background color in SumatraPDF, see my blog post linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Replacing Adobe Reader with SumatraPDF

• DA_Mccoy
    11 years ago

Not to get into a dispute and knowing I do not walk on water, I have never had any concern with REVO in advanced mode on my system or any systems that I have used it on. Nor in my little sphere of life have I been told by fellow users of concerns. In fact, I do not recall anyone here at the forum reporting any adverse results.

Just another side of the street.

DA

• azinoh
    11 years ago

Snidely's comments about mainstream web sites are right on target. Such sites are usually run by knowledgeable webmasters who know how to keep their site secure and are prompt to take action if the site is attacked. Infected ads can happen, though and here is where a little common sense can pay a huge dividend.

When you think you might want to click on an ad, make a decision about how important the product/service being offered is to you. If it is important, make an effort to locate the provider's web site yourself rather than depending on the ad to take you there. If you think that's too much work, then think about the potential downsides of an infected computer which could include fraud and/or identity theft.

Persons who try to practice safe computing generally don't stumble into trouble. Persons who refuse to practice safe computing don't have to go looking for trouble...it will find them soon enough.

This post was edited by azinoh on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 9:36

• DA_Mccoy
    11 years ago

Az,

"Persons who refuse to practice safe computing don't have to go looking for trouble...it will find them soon enough."

Oh, how right you are. The core members of the forum have continually promoted safe surfing,. Most members have heeded the education and alerts, but for whatever reason some members unfortunately continue to have to find out the hard way.

The number one anti-virus, and malware prevention tool is a disciplined and informed user.

Though not speaking for them, I am certain the core members will continue to encourage members to use the Internet judiciously with a hope of the message reaching all.

DA

• owbist
    11 years ago

Azinoh wrote: make an effort to locate the provider's web site yourself rather than depending on the ad to take you there.

When I see something of interest I usually Google the item then select a WOT approved site rather than click the offered link. Works wonders ;~)

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since I don't get many ads, I usually type in the address of a site, eg. Amazon. Com. If I Google something I an so careful to read the addresses before clicking. Google can be the worse, it's where my husband runs into problems, he just clicks on anything. I've had some close calls using Google, but my AV stopped the link as does Wot.
    Everyone thinks I'm overly cautious but I feel 'better safe than sorry.'

• DA_Mccoy
    11 years ago

O and Jane,

I pretty much follow the same protocols. If I am leery I go as far as conducting three security checks via Google. Using Jane's example:

Amazon.com complaints
    Amazon.com virus
    Amazon.com malware

If all are clear it is only then a go.

I think of the State Farm Insurance television commercial, "If it is on the Internet it has to be true", and "Bonjour".

DA

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!