SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dee_can1

BSOD after Windows Update on Vista

dee_can1
13 years ago

Make that a 'black' screen of death, but it was screen of death nonetheless. My Vista laptop installed Windows updates on Feb 9/11 on shut-down; and upon start up yesterday, all I got was a black screen. I shut it down/started up again and pressed F8, and decided to do the recommended attempt at repair since I got the msg that my computer will not start. The repair attempt didn't work, so I tried the 'reconfigure to last good date' (or a similar msg) and that didn't work. I think my computer had attempted to 'restore' (and I couldn't 'cancel' this action) prior to this when the first attempt at repair didn't work.

So then I went into safe mode, and decided to restore the computer to the last date before the updates. It says the restore was successful, but I notice my computer is quite a bit slower now. I did a disk cleanup this morning - is there anything else I should do?

Plus, I see my computer wants to reinstall the Windows updates on shut down again. I'm a little afraid of that - should I install the updates or wait? I've always kept my computer updated. This has happened before with updates a couple of times, by the way, but I've never had to do anything as drastic as restoring my computer. Was that overkill on my part maybe?

Comments (10)