SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grandms

Vista Updates will not install

grandms
14 years ago

I was helping a friend of mine this afternoon. She has an e-Machine with Vista OS. She called me several days ago saying that she could not get SP1 to install. I knew that SP1 was rather old and wondered if she was correct. I went to her house and helped do some clean-up maintenance on her computer. Ran cCleaner, Windows Security Essentials, Malwarebytes (which found 3 adware items), updated Spywareblaster, and installed Secunia PSI, which showed several programs out of date. Tried updating IE7 to IE8 using Secunia and it failed. Then went to Windows Updates in All Programs and received information that there were 18 important updates, but it did not identify those updates, just started downloading them when I clicked on download. They took a while but all downloaded and then the UI indicated "Preparing to install". That's as far as things ever went, and after over 5 hours it is still stalled there. What can she do to get these updates to install. I would have preferred to download only 2 or 3 at a time and install, and then continue in this fashion, but there seemed not to be the option to do this. At this point, her only choice is to click "stop installation".

Some advice, please. I do not have Vista on my computers, so it's a little different from what I'm used to.

Comments (6)