SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjb999

win2k woes - bsod, need reinstall but missing nt disk

pjb999
17 years ago

Hi, hope the heading wasn't too cryptic.

I moved from overseas, and thought it'd be best to bring just the hard drive, internal boards and motherboard of my old pc....unfortunately when I put it in a new case, all sorts of problems happened, it would just boot endlessly then reboot.

When the rest of our belongings arrived, I had my windows 2000 disk, and thought I could do a repair - no dice. So I reinstalled windows and at least got it kind of sort of working, with quite a few flashes of BSOD and all sorts of issues.....it was also running very very slowly, and now it's worse.

I'd added a few new things, including a Logitech wireless kb and mouse. I ran the original installer disk which seemed to put a lot of crud and adware on it, so, after experiencing some issues, I used GoBack (I have Nortons Systemworks premier 2006 on it, and had an older version before....I know a lot of people don't like it, but for me it seems ok, I don't know how much it slows it down, but the recovery feature's good anyway)

So I decided I'd try to clone the drive as it is, with Norton Ghost, and then reformat one drive and start again. Not only can I not get Ghost to run - the puter just goes straight to BSOD after a few minutes of just sitting - and it takes AGES to get full up to speed, I keep getting messages Zonealarm is starting ten minutes later or so!

So there's a lot of old stuff on it, much of which I don't really need, which is another reason to start over, and I'll hopefully be able to transfer my documents etc over, assuming I can get into the drive.

Tried running repair installation from the w2k disk, no dice, not even sure if I can reinstall the os from scratch - when I did the first time, it was so flaky....

Anyway, having decided to start again on another hard drive, I suddenly realised I need my old NT disk, to do the install, since my copy of win 2k is an upgrade, and I don't think I still have the NT disk, when I was packing to move, everyone was on at me to throw stuff out, and I suspect that was one thing....I'm kicking myself, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

It's not like I don't have licensed copies or anything, I just don't have the N disk anymore. I'd love to upgrade to Vista but the stuff I need to get to wouldn't run on it, and it's an older motherboard. 1.1 or 1.8 gig.

Am I toasted, or is there another way? I remember an old trick with upgrading Word, you didn't strictly need an old version on the machine, I had it but installing it made it crash, I don't know if there's such a workaround.

I've struggled with this thing for weeks, to no avail. Can't afford to pay anyone else to fix it, need to retrieve my files, looking for work so need a computer for applications, wife's doing her Masters so my ancient Powerbook's in high demand....any help appreciated!

Comments (4)

• pjb999
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention, I do have an OEM Windows 95 disk - never even opened - and put it in as the "qualifying disk" since the W2k asked for an Nt/98/95 disk, but it didn't accept it. I was just reading something about upgrades to XP and how some "restore" disks you get with some brand-name computers don't always have an i386 folder, but if they do, they usually work...just looked and the 95 cd didn't.

Is that the trick? I suppose the disk has to be named correctly, too.

• owbist
    17 years ago

Wow, some read. I am bewildered that you would be trying to clone this install. Your post suggests there are more problems there than enough.

Can you insert the W2K CD and run SFC? (System file checker)

Click Start/run and type sfc /scannow, this will go through checking for corrupt files and correct those. Then if things go well you should update to SP4 which is the latest and last available for W2K

As you have done so much here you might download and run Crap Cleaner which will search for and remove all the odds and ends left behind over time. Then a defrag if things are going well.

Failing all that I do believe even Windows 3.1 would suffice for proof of ownership to upgrade to W2K - you only need the first floppy. Then you could start fresh.

Any of that sound reasonable?

• pjb999
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes it does, thanks. The only reason why I want to clone it is, firstly, so I can be assured I can access my documents and the programs and downloads I want to keep, I'm fairly fastidious about keeping copies so I should be able to reinstall all the stuff I want to keep, the other reason being I thought I might be able to get around the need for the NT disk, if the installer sees a Win 2k installation on the disk, but I really want to format the new drive and start from scratch, ideally.

I would suspect my DVD+-r drive wasn't reading correctly, but the w2k disk seems ok, seeing as my win 95 cd's not being accepted as a valid qualifying disk. It's oem and as far as I can tell, capable of doing a full install, however, I couldn't even swap out the existing hard drive and install w95 on the new hard drive, it wasn't seeing it as a valid disk or some such.

When you're suggesting I run SFC, do you mean boot from the w2k disk? If I do, there doesn't seem to be a lot of options apart from the installer, can I get to a dos prompt on the w2k disk?

• owbist
    17 years ago

No, do not boot from the CD. In fact I realised after posting that it is not even necessary to have the CD in the drawer. But it should be available becasue if it finds corrupt files it will need access to your CD to re-install the needed files.