SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsyuen

In the hunt for value... narrowing down the choices

jsyuen
12 years ago

Hi everyone... let me first thank everyone for all the awesome information available here. It's been a great resource. I hope members can also help me out here as well.

I'm doing a brand new kitchen and will need the full set of kitchen appliances. As everyone who has done this knows money is soo easily spent and sacrifices now need to be made to get it done. So any help and advice would be greatly appreciated...

1. Fridge

Since where the fridge is going is on a wall with the wall oven stack and no counters we will be able to build the cabinets around the fridge. I've seen multiple threads of how people built a full depth fridge into their cabinets and i think if i can get away with a good looking result this is the way we'll go to save $$$. Money that will be allocated elsewhere where needed. So instead of a built in we have come to really like the four door french fridge we've seen in the stores. The one with the flexible counter height drawer. I know kitchenaid, samsung and LG make one of these and we've been leaning toward the samsung for the interior and the size. The only hold up is that it has the icemaker water dispenser through the door which i know is a problem area for almost all fridges and we would have liked to avoid this completely but most don't do a four door without the ice/water thing. Any thoughts or just go with it?

2. CookTop

We're going induction. 36". This is an appliance that will be used almost daily. We cook quite a bit and the stove top seems to be the most used cooking appliance. There are multiple recent threads about this. We're thinking about allocating a bit more money for this as we'd want high quality and reliability here. Seems to be miele is the consensus pick here. Right?. Tho it seems most people are happy with their choices for induction cooktop and at least from my searches there are good reports for Electrolux, Bosch,KA... most brands. Should i spend the extra $$$ here to go MIELE? or drop to midrange and spend it on the next category....

3. DISHWASHER

Seems to be the consensus here is that MIELE makes the best dishwashers... if i'm to splurge i should do so here with the new FUTURA washers right?... my other choices would be the KA KUDE60 or the 800 series BOSCH made in germany... in that order. Do members think the splurge to MIELE is VALUE?

4. Wall oven

We tend to roast meats more than we bake... and even that i wouldn't think i'd use the oven more than once a week. So in this department i do not think to spend too much $$$. so in that case (correct me if i'm wrong), but the ELUX wall oven seems to be where the VALUE is at.

5. Microwave/combo unit/other

For this i'm unsure how to go about this... Originally our dream was to have a speed oven or a steam oven combo. But again as you can see we don't really use the oven all too much and i doubt at this point i would really have a use for 2 ovens. The steam oven really intrigues me because we do steam items regularly, but have been making due with pots, ricecookers, etc. Not sure if i should stretch here for the luxury of having a speedoven or steamoven. OR should i just go with a standard microwave and save the extra thousand or so.

6. HOOD

i'm a bit clueless here as well. We'll have an 8 inch duct right out to an exterior wall, and i'm thinking most 600cfm hoods should be ok with what i normally cook and not sure if i need to really spend too much here... again please correct me if i'm wrong. Probably go with which ever i can get packaged in with a good price.

Any suggestions for me above?

THANKS again!

Comments (5)