SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chilloway

Powere Point Question

chilloway
16 years ago

Hi - you have all helped me many times before so I hope you can do it again. I received a file in an email to download that I had to open with MS Power Point. (which took me DAYS to figure that out !!) I don't even have the slightest idea what MS Power Point actually is. The file is of the most beautiful photos. Is there any way to save them as wallpaper for my desktop? If I right click on them - I only get a menu pertaining to the power point slide show. The most I have accomplished is to stop the slide show on a certain photo.

Thanks so much in advance. Debbie

Comments (25)

• owbist
    16 years ago

As the slide show comes to a photo you want simply tap the 'Print Screen' or maybe 'PRN SCRN' button which is just right of the F12 button. Now open your photo editing program. Here the instruction varies depending on the program you use. Try right clicking in the open area of the editing program and look for 'Paste from clipboard' or try tapping Edit at the top and finding the link to click in the drop down menu. In Irfanview or MSPaint you use Edit/Paste to bring up the saved photo.

Which ever you find works, give you first selection a name and save it, then repeat the process for any other photos or pictures you like.

• TxKen
    16 years ago

lidebbie,
    Find the location where the file is located.
    Look at the name of the file...If it is a PowerPoint
    show file, the extension will be .pps

If that is the case, you can change the .pps
    to .ppt

After changing the extension to .ppt, click on the file
    and it will open in a view that will let you
    view each slide by iteself, and right click
    to save the picture, instead of playing
    automatically as a 'show'.

Hope this helps..
    txKen

• Related Discussions

want to watch MS PowerPoint slide on tv

Q

Comments (42)
    of course, there are many ways to burn PowerPoint to DVD for viewing it on TV: http://www.acoolsoft.com/knowledges/methods-to-burn-powerpoint-to-dvd.html You can compare the cons and pros of these ways and then choose the best way for you. For my part, the direct way to burn PowerPoint to dvd with Acoolsoft PPT to DVD Pro will be the most proper way if you want to make a professional DVD with DVD menu. Here is a link that might be useful: Acoolsoft PPT to DVD
    ...See More

PowerPoint slide show

Q

Comments (3)
    Judy, This information is exactly what I needed. I appreciate the link. Been out of town for a couple days, that's why the slow response. Perfect...Thank you much...
    ...See More

PowerPoint slide show for selling house

Q

Comments (6)
    Nice idea which I might steal when selling my farm next year. Part of the joy of living in the country is being close to nature's ever-changing beauty. What better way to capture that flora and fauna than through a photo essay? But, Paul, since you seem so computer savvy, why not create a personal website specifically for selling your property? I intend on doing so, listing on the local MLS via a flatfee service. There have been many discussions about this technique, so I won't elaborate. If you've got the time, it may worth considering.
    ...See More

Power point cover replacement

Q

Comments (10)
    All my switchplates are snap on/off (I live in Aus too). When we moved into our new house, the electrician had forgotten to put the plate on one outlet: I found it in a drawer and put it on in about 5 seconds. I suspect the plate will come off pretty easily if you slide a screwdriver underneath it (after flipping the breaker).
    ...See More
  • chilloway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys - I managed to print screen one picture and save it by changing the name but I cannot manage to change the whole files name.

Ken when I right click to change whole the file's name - it doesn't work. And when I hit properties - it doesn't give me the option to change the name of the whole file. I did a search but it says it can't find the file. I have it on my desktop and also in "my pictures" folder. I have WXP media center. There are about 50 shots in there so I would hate to have to change each one.

Thanks again. Debbie PS. It's good to hear from you again, TxKen.

• TxKen
    16 years ago

lidebbie,
    You will need to find the actual file..not the shortcut.
    I use Windows Explorer to find things. Makes more sense
    to me. (I'm stuck back in the W-98 mentality)
    You should be able to find Windows Explorer by going to
    Start>Programs>Accesories>Windows Explorer.

Click Windows Explorer and open up to your hard drive,
    (c:) and then find your file. Right click on the file,
    and you should be given the option to rename it.
    Just change the .pps to .ppt

Let us know if you can't do this, and we'll see
    what is next.

Hope this helps..
    txKen

• chilloway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK - I did everything you said and it opened up my doc folder. The item was in there but when I right click I only get rename (not the save as that we are trying for), send, etc. Then I searched in My Computer through "everything" and found no listing for it. Could it be that it isn't a file? I had to download it from the email and then open it with power point.

If you guys are busy helping others with REAL problems - don't worry about this. I'll just try to do it one picture at a time. Thanks again, Debbie.

• owbist
    16 years ago

Ken was suggesting you do exactly as you saw in your latest post. Right click and in the drop down menu click to rename then change the suffix as he suggests to ppt and hit the Enter button - you already have the file saved.

Then you double click on the file and it hopefully will open in the eexpanded view as Ken was suggesting

• urlee
    16 years ago

This is hard for me to follow. "Too URLEE"?

This is what I get when I click rename.

{{gwi:1447477}}

This is what I get for Properties:

{{gwi:1447479}}

Urlee

• chilloway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Urlee hit the nail on the head - when I click rename - I get "fantastic photos" - not a file name with an extension. I can't seem to bring up the name I can change the extension on anywhere. Maybe because it wasn't sent that way?? If I hit properties - I get just what Urlee showed except I don't get the unblock option on the bottom.

• mikie_gw
    16 years ago

Probably you need to go to folder options and allow showing extensions of popular type files.

• urlee
    16 years ago

I found the answer, I found the answer!!!!!!!!!!

Follow these instructions and you will get the pps's!!!!

To make sure your system is set up to allow file extension changes, go to your Start menu, choose Run and type in "explorer" (without the quotes). Once the new window opens, go to the Tools menu and click on Folder Options. Next, choose the View tab and find the option that says "Hide extensions for known file types." Make sure this is unchecked. Now, you're all set.
    Once you receive an item that you want to change, just right click on it and choose Rename. You can then rename the file with the new extension that you prefer. Once you're done, just hit Enter on your keyboard and it will be saved. Then you can just open the file again, but this time, it will be the way you want it.

{{gwi:1447481}}

Now they all show up with the pps's.

{{gwi:1447483}}

Urlee

• owbist
    16 years ago

Good work Urlee. I hate Microsoft for making the extensions invisible by default. I can think of no reason for it. As soon as I set a computer up I go there and set it to view the suffix.

So once either of you have renamed to .ppt are you able to open the photos and save them individually?

• urlee
    16 years ago

Thanks owbist,
    I haven't tried it yet for an experiment.
    I do know the time, ugh I went through by stopping the show to save each slide "piecemeal" and haven't recuperated yet from my ordeal. (smiles)

How would you have liked to have to save all these one by one like I did?

{{gwi:1447485}}

Urlee

• chilloway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My Gosh, Urlee - I would have given up on that list!! Well, I followed your instructions and finally got the full file name. I changed the extension to .ppt but the stupid thing still opens in a slide show. The icon on my file is a picture of the power point emblem. I wonder if that is why. Well, luckily, There are only about 20 shots in there so I guess I'll have to do the each one at a time.

Thank you all so much, though, and I'm glad it worked for you Urlee. Thanks again, everyone. Debbie

• urlee
    16 years ago

WARNING!!!!!!!

I had to put the checkmark BACK because it raised havoc with my name change of each file in my PSP program.
    Don't know if that applies to ALL programs you are in when you want to change a name of a file.
    I just wanted to change the name and NOT the extention when a pop up warned me that it may not be usable which WAS true when I checked the ok and went ahead.
    Then I went and put that check back and all things were back to normal.

Urlee

• owbist
    16 years ago

Putting the check mark back or removing it in the first place has little bearing on anything Urlee. All it does is allow interested users the opportunity to see what type of file they are dealing with.

Yes you are warned when changing a name that the underlying file may not work. However if you know why you are changing the name you also know this is not an exe - dll or other file that should not be changed.

Supposing you create 3 photos of yourself naming them urlee.jpg - urlee.bmp and urlee.tif then you create a text file urlee.txt - how will you know which is which without the 3 digit extension? LOL perhaps I am easily confused but I need to know these things.

• susanjn
    16 years ago

There a MUCH easier way to change a file name.

When you see it in Windows Explorer, click on it. Then click on it again. Don't double-click; allow a second between clicks. A little box will form around the file name and it will be selected. Then edit the name just as you would any text. You may get that warning, but you can always change it back if it causes you trouble. Changing the name doesn't alter the contents of the file. It is not the same as "Save as".

• urlee
    16 years ago

Now it's making a liar out of me cause I WAS able to open THIS one-------

{{gwi:1447487}}

When it looked like THIS after I clicked OK up there:
    {{gwi:1447490}}

My dog is driving me $#%@ so I will have to experiment later again.

Urlee

• TxKen
    16 years ago

Find the actual file in Windows Explorer.
    Right click on the file and select "Rename"
    Type in the new name, and don't forget to
    add the extension. (.ppt or .pps)
    Then click outisde the selected area and the
    file name will be changed.
    Ignore any warning-windows. They are just part
    of Microsoft's 'thing' to insure you don't do
    something you didn't mean to do.

lidebbie, I don't know why it isn't working for you.
    Can't think of any reason why it would not work.
    txKen

• chilloway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ken - I have tried it about 20 times and I still keep getting the power point slide show regardless of the .ppt extension.

But it's OK cause I did each shot alone. Thanks for all yours & everyone elses help, though. Debbie

• owbist
    16 years ago

Debbie do you use the free PowerPoint Viewer or do you have MS Office installed? It occurred to me that if you only have the viewer that may be the problem, it is only a viewer.

• chilloway
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Owbist - I'm not too good at this stuff and can't give a picture like Urlee but when I go to all programs - it says Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003. If I click on it, I get a box with a browser space on top that says My Documents in it. On the bottom are 2 lines - one is file name (blank) and the other is Files of type. In that box it says Powerpoint Presentations (*.ppt;*.pps; *.pot).

That's all I get. But if .ppt is listed - wouldn't that mean that the extension .ppt would be opened by PowerPoint? If that's what it means, then my pc is doing what it should - right? Could I try .jpg instead?

• owbist
    16 years ago

As you only have the viewer and not the complete PowerPoint program you are restricted to just viewing the shows as they are presented. Urlee obviously has the full MS Office suite making it possible to modify or create PowerPoint presentations as needed.

Changing it the file to anything other than ppt pps or pot will disable it entirely. However using the print screen method to extract individual shots you can save those as jpg or any other image extension supported by the program you use.

• mikie_gw
    16 years ago

I've never used it...

Extract JPEG, PNG images from PPS files. View or save images.

Here is a link that might be useful: download.com/Smile-Pps2Jpg/

• urlee
    16 years ago

Urlee obviously has the full MS Office suite making it possible to modify or create PowerPoint presentations as needed.

I just have the viewer, stopped and clicked on each slide photo to save each one separately.(136)

I haven't tried doing anything by changing the pps to ppt so don't know if I could get it to work like mentioned to do.
    I only found out how to get the pps to show but didn't go any further.

Urlee

• urlee
    16 years ago

Now it's making a liar out of me cause I WAS able to open THIS one-------

I take that back!!!!! I had to CHECK it AGAIN cause it caused trouble.
    Best to leave well enough alone. There had to be a reason for it.

Urlee

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!