SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lnhardin

Refrigerator only - where do I go from here?

lnhardin
16 years ago

I really want to get a refrigerator only. Attached freezers and ice makers seem to be a repair pit and we will have 2 freezers just steps away in the pantry. Size is not an issue as it is a new construction, but I'm thinking 36" at least. Built in or free standing is also open(we can always design the cupboards deeper), though I'm thinking built in or counter depth is less likely to lose food at the back.

There seem to be bad reviews on everything available! So far I've looked at Frigidaire (thermostat problems), Electrolux Icon (the same), Sub Zero (not what they used to be, but I can't find specifics), Traulsen or True (noisy and energy hogs), GE (short on space because of bins and lights), Liebherr (nobody out here has heard of it so it will be impossible to have serviced if anything goes wrong) - does anybody have anything they are happy with and purchased in the last year or two?

We tend to buy fresh food and meat in quantity as we are in the country and inconvenient to run out to the store. We also cook and entertain a LOT, so I store flour, granola, nuts, herbs, corn meal all in the fridge instead of cupboards. I need it to keep a lot and keep it fresh. Budget does not extend itself to the $12000 48" SZ. Not worrying about impressing people or resale (some of our design decisions have already ruined resale anyway), this is our dream house and needs to perform for us.

Any and all input is welcome and needed!

Comments (20)