SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hi2all_gw

Betty

hi2all
14 years ago

I've been worried about you, and started to post yesterday, but decided to wait one more day. Then, this morning I read you have had the swine flu. I am so sorry, and glad you are on the mend. I hope no one else gets it -- has A's Aunt had her shot?

I am to call today to see if they have more vaccine here. Both DH and I fall into that "underlying health issues" category. I am especially anxious for him to get his. I really limit my activities now, and stay away from crowds. I've even put church on hold for a while.

We all should have bought stock in hand sanitizer. We would be able to buy all the dishes we want!

Keep us posted, Betty.

Lee

Comments (14)

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Lee, I am glad you started this post for Betty. I too just read her post about having swine flu. Flu season is always scary, but with this new strain, now even more so.

Betty, how are you feeling? What does the doctor say? Please follow his directions, and really take it easy so your body can fight it off. One of my friends DH got it right after it came out--he went to the doctor right away and the medication seemed to take care of it quickly.

Lee, you are probably like me and tend to put things off. I need to get my flu shot too. Hadn't decided if I am going to get both shots or not--what are you planning to do?

Betty, please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Luvs

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Thanks for starting this post Lee... You and Luvs and your spouses need to get your shots!!!
    Betty I hope you and DGS both get to feeling better. I have added you to my special thoughts list.
    TEXAS hugs for you,
    J

• Related Discussions

Betty Corning and Westerplatte

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks, Laurie, I will check out my stats here. It’s been in the garden a long time, way before I thought it was interesting to know the id’s of the plants I had. Sherry
    ...See More

Betty White.

Q

Comments (39)
    She had a 15 minute show called Life with Elzabeth. in the 1950s. on it she was married and could get into trouble just that fast. and then bite her lip and look around and smile with her dimples showing. My mom and I watched it as i had my breakfast.
    ...See More

Betty White’s California beach house for sale

Q

Comments (1)
    100 percent staged.
    ...See More

Betty White’s Brentwood home

Q

Comments (28)
    I agree, Stephanie. People can certainly do what they want, but it would be nice if they considered the surroundings. We were in Dallas recently, driving through an historic district … I lost count of how many huge modern gray concrete boxes were being built on land where old mansions used to stand. Beautifully kept old mansions, not tear-downs, of a variety of significant architectural styles and built by prominent architects of the eras. Including many wonderful MCM homes. Giant old trees are being bulldozed along with the houses and pools. Live Oaks several hundred years old, for instance. Now barren lots among these old neighborhoods. I like modern. I like lots of styles of homes. But I think it would be nice if tear-downs-to-new-builds were being done in a more thoughtful, intentional way. And I don’t know … maybe step out of the box? (Teehee.)
    ...See More
  • kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Betty, hope you are feeling better.

NO swine flu shots available here yet...

• bettyd_z7_va
    14 years ago

Lee, Bless your heart for thinking of me. I'm some better today. DH prayed for me last night before going to sleep and asked that I would be feeling better today, and I am.

I'm still weak. It started Sunday morning at 3:30am when I woke up feeling like I had a bad case of pneumonia and someone was BEATING me HARD in the head and face with a baseball bat.

If anyone starts feeling this way grab a mask and RUN to the nearest Dr or ER.

I only waited 'till Monday because I have so many allergies to meds that I don't trust anyone but my family Dr to treat me. He knows my history.

The 1st flu test came back negative, so he gave me an antibiotic shot and a pain shot because I begged to be knocked out so I wouldn't feel the pain.

Yesterday I was supposed to go back for another round of shots.(I'm allergic to all antibiotics that can be taken by mouth so far). 6 year old DGS was sick, so I rode with them back to the DR. Once he tested positive for swine they tested me again. This second test was positive. My niece, who is a nurse, told me that there is something like a rate of 40% false negative flu test results.
    That is why I'm sharing how I felt. If you feel like this, YOU'VE GOT IT, no matter what the teat results say. I lost 2 days that I could have been on the Tamiflu.

Thank God for my DD. I pray that she stays well. She has been here everyday, all day, taking care of me and Aunt B. Her 6 year old has it too. The scary part is her 3 month old baby was exposed to us. Please keep them all in your prayers.

Aunt B got her shot, so she should be ok. I'm still using the mask if I have to go in the kitchen for ice and she is in there.

DH has a cough, so I'm pushing him to go get tested. He asked for the Dr's phone # this morning before he left for work. That's a good sign.

Luvs, I have to take it really easy. I don't have the strength to do any differently! lol
    But I've turned the corner and think I'll be up and shopping sometime in the near future!

DGS said to me this morning, "Nanny, I thought you were going to serve us a meal at the Halloween table". Bless his heart, I haven't even taken time to get a picture of it, much less planned a menu! But it is still there and we will enjoy it one day soon. We will just pretend it's Halloween!

Thanks for caring,
    Hugs,
    Betty

• hi2all
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DH and I both have had our seasonal flu shots, and it was time to get another pneumonia vaccination this year. We are just waiting for the H1N1 vaccine to become available here. We are older, and one week they say we can get it, and the next week the rules have changed. As I said, I try to be extra careful -- but I have to be anyway because of DH's health.

My SIL's granddaughter (age 9 or so) had it. They live in our small town. My great niece's son, 16 months, had it last week. Both of the kids are recovering, thank goodness. Both were given Tamiflu at the first signs, so no doubt that helped.

I hope everyone comes through this all right.

Take care,

Lee

• bettyd_z7_va
    14 years ago

Jay and Kathleen, You both posted while I was still trying to get something sensible typed!
    Thanks for the good wishes.
    Jay, I would feel much better if you would post more pics of that hutch! Remember, you're supposed to humor a sick person! LOL
    Betty

• oreos_mom
    14 years ago

Oh Betty, how awful for you ! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. We haven't been able to get very much of the vacine here in Alabama yet, so haven't gotten my shot. Hopefully, the little one will be just fine and so will your DH and daughter.

Susan

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Betty, it must have been horrid for you but sounds as if you have your sense of humor back a bit. Take it easy, that table will wait, as will shopping. Sending prayers for you and your family for good health.

Neither DH or I are in the high priority groups they are vaccinating first so we're just avoiding crowds as much as possible. Can't stay home all the time tho so hope our resistance is good. I've read that "Seniors, who have some immunity from H1N1 due to their exposure to a similar strain that circulated in the late 1950s, are considered at lower risk and a lower priority group" and I hope that's true. Can't remember that far back if I had the flu then. We take extra Vit D which is supposed to help immunity. I have a mild egg allergy and have become very ill from other vaccinations so am not in a hurry to get one now. DH almost never gets sick so doesn't want one either.

I use essential oils and have extra tea tree and ravensara (anti-viral oils) on hand so am depending on that to a certain extent.

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Oh wow Betty...I just saw this post and glad I read it.
    Please, even if you're feeling better, give yourself time to FULLY recover. You don't want any relapses. I will add you and your family to my prayers.
    It's a good thing you caught it in time and now everyone is on the alert for any symptoms.
    I know my DGdtr 7, falls in a high risk category because of her Diabetes. My DD has inquired for her..but no shots have arrived yet. Also my DH who also has health issues. He called about the shot, and they told him they don't know when they'll be receiving it.. So we're trying to be careful too.

Please take care of yourself..and please keep us updated, if your able, on how you and your family are.

jane

• mary_ruth
    14 years ago

Thank you so much Betty for describing the symptoms. I know it is supposed to hit the lungs harder than anything. I have not heard of the symptoms you described! How awful!

I had an ear & sinus infection last week and just finished my antibiotics, that was awful this time, for some reason the natibiotices made me sick. I am glad to be off them. I have sinus spray and musenex and I will take them if I feel I need them over the next few weeks as doctor said to do.

I sure hope you feel better soon, and what I was going through, is nothing compared to what you have! Take your time and just heal... sleep and TG you and your family are OK!

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

This is so scary. Betty I am really glad to hear you think you're on the mend. Will keep ALL your family in my prayers.
    The vaccine just got to Phx but only for certain groups so far, and this week some schools are giving the shots to the kids. Unfortunately not the school my grandkids go to yet. I had the reg. flu shot and my pneumonia shot, hope to get this one too since my immune system is 'compromised' due to Fibro being an auto-immune disease. I hadn't heard of symptoms like you mentioned, all I'd heard was it felt like the reg. flu does in adults. Which is bad enough.

Hope everyone here stays healthy, will keep you in thoughts and prayers.
    hugs, Karen

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

GET WELL, Betty. What a horrible thing that swine flu is. I too am so thankful tht you've given all of us a heads up on the symptoms. You don't deserve this. Always enjoy reading your posts.

Sending My Love and Prayers to You and Yours for a Speedy Recovery,
    Punk

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Maryruth, what a nice surprise to see your post. We haven't heard from you in a long time. Are you getting settled in to your new home? If you talk to Jim or Judith, tell them both they too are being missed on here! Hope we will be hearing more from you. Luvs

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Betty,

Are you feeling better now? Thanks for your post on my tablescape. I need to know if you and your family are ok? We all get a kick out of you and I don't know of anyone else who is so considerate of DH that they browse in the dark!!! I can't be on the computer in the dark it bothers my eyes.

Let us know more about this darn flu. We all like furthering our education.LOL

Punk

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio
More Discussions