SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

Betty White’s Brentwood home

last year
last modified: last year

Gone. I remember we had a thread about it earlier this year, some of her decor was being auctioned off.

https://people.com/home/betty-white-brentwood-calif-home-torn-down-one-year-anniversary-of-death/

Comments (28)

• last year

It sold for $10.6 million and then they tore it down.

Jilly thanked Eileen
  • last year

Oh my! It looks so cozy but i guess someone else has other ideas.

Jilly thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Related Discussions

2007 Official Rose List Supplement, April 2007

Q

Comments (1)
    Please use latest list, Thank you, Ron
    ...See More

2007 Official Rose List Supplement, Oct. 2007

Q

Comments (1)
    Plase use new post,thank you. Ron S.
    ...See More

The White House has a new Decorator!

Q

Comments (36)
    "I'd love to see some real style come to the White House"....isn't that a rather tacky and totally false and unnecessary remark to make on this forum? The White House certainly DOES have stlye and beauty, both inside and out! Mrs. Bush did a wonderful job, plus the Oval Office was perfectly done. The gorgeous custom rug complimented everything from the walls to the stained floors and beautiful furniture.
    ...See More

Betty White’s Carmel house for sale

Q

Comments (31)
    Why the white carpet? I wonder how long it's been there, but it does give the house a sort of "Miami Vice" look. That's my main complaint, and the light fixture in the bathroom can easily be changed. I do like the furniture. I also like all the windows facing the ocean, but I'm done with living at the beach at this point in my life, unless it would be the Italian Riviera or maybe the Amalfi Coast, and that's not happening. I remember going to see the Doris Day movie, Move Over Darling, which was supposed to be set partially in Monterey, but at the time, the only "Monterey" I knew of was Monterrey, Mexico, as I used to listen to radio stations from there at night as a child. I was shocked to see an ocean associated with Monterrey, as I knew how far inland it was. The film crew did not go north of Point Magu, and so they never made it as far as Monterey Bay, however.
    ...See More
  • last year

Nothing sadder than seeing a nice house torn down.

Jilly thanked teeda
  • last year

I was hoping this post was saying that Jinx bought Betty’s house.

Jilly thanked maddielee
  • last year

Ahh, I wish, maddie.

I’m predicting this house will be replaced with some sleek, modern gray and glass box.

Like her, I would’ve preferred her beloved Carmel home … but this one would be nice, too. Very quaint. I love quaint.

• last year

It probably isn't such a nice home inside and it almost certainly doesn't fit what even middle class families are looking for.

This wasn't a fabulous home when it was built - it isn't a Spanish Colonial or one of the older homes that were built in the 1920's.

This was built as a middle class home - probably sometime after WW II. My friend lives in a home like that in a similarly very expensive area of Los Angeles. She knows that it will be torn down if she sells it because the interior space simply isn't configured in a way that most people would find desirable. It doesn't have any great architectural features - the kitchen is a relatively small galley kitchen with relatively small separate dining room; maids' room (tiny); small living room and two small rooms off the small living room.

What it has going for it is that it is in prime location - 5 minutes from Century City for context and on a large lot with an unbelievable unobstructed view.

ETA Anytime a real estate listing has no interior pictures you know that it is a mess inside and is essentially a gut. If you look at listings and there are no pictures of kitchens or bathrooms, you know those are in terrible shape and will require a gut renovation. I am a fan of vintage and in my experience if there is a vintage bathroom that is well maintained, there will be pictures.

Jilly thanked Helen
  • last year

I remember looking at pictures of it as well. It was a lovely home. Even though it isn't the size or have the amenities of the multi million dollar abodes that replace tears downs like this, it still makes me sad to see.

Jilly thanked teeda
  • last year

Stuff. A house is really just ’stuff’. Big stuff but still stuff. Change is ok.

Jilly thanked maddielee
  • last year

*GASP*

Jilly thanked Allison0704
  • last year

This wasn't her favorite home For whatever reason they moved her from her waterfront home to this one where she passed away.

I agree that this home was not special or unique enough to restore.

Jilly thanked eld6161
  • last year

I read she had to move back due to health issues.

She wanted to stay in Carmel. Who wouldn’t? That house (and location) was spectacular.

• last year

It’s always sad to me, to see a lone fireplace left standing.

But I’m an overly sentimental sap. I don’t think I could be a bulldozer operator.

I like the pool.

More exterior:

https://tasteofcountry.com/betty-white-los-angeles-house-for-sale-pictures/

• last year

It sold for $10.6 million and then they tore it down.

You pay for the land not the two by fours.

Time marches on. If someone can look at Allison's house and make changes, well, then ...

Jilly thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • last year

Yes, I know. I lived in California for over twenty years, from San Diego to the Central Coast to Northern California, and you couldn't pay me to move back there.

Jilly thanked Eileen
  • last year

The home in Carmel was gorgeous but realistically it wouid have been difficuit to have the same level of medical care there was available in Los Angeles.

My father died when he was 98 and like Betty was very active until the last few years of his life. Although he was still lucid and he didn’t have cancer or equivalent, the reality was that he was dying of old age and the amount of care he needed to keep the systems going required frequent medical visits and even occasional hospital stays even thiugh there were no surgical interventions. None of these were considered to be extraordinary as my father was very clear in terms of his health directive but this kind of precision medical fine tuning needed him to be close to high quality medical providers. Luckily, he lived in Los Angeles about five minutes from Cedars Sinai and all of the doctors clustered there 😊

Jilly thanked Helen
  • last year

^^^^I got it Jinx!

Jilly thanked maddielee
  • last year

I know Jinx, many positively shudder at the thought, lol. At least now there is a recognition that shutters can be appropriate on houses. I remember at the start of the anti-shutter movement posters with original, operational shutters were told to remove them.

Jilly thanked teeda
  • last year

How many threads I’ve seen calling to remove operational shutters for a cleaner look, then lots of encouragement for and mock-ups of all kinds of ornamental decor no matter the style of house …. cedar brackets in eaves, giant MCM house numbers and lights (any style house, including old Tudors), pergolas everywhere on the front of the house. Preferably with white painted brick and/or stone because someone spotted a tinge of warmth in them and that aggression will not stand, man.

• last year

This happens all the time where I live. I think what makes me most upset is when a home is built that doesnt ”play well with others” in the neighborhood. And its the largest cube they could fit on the land.

Jilly thanked Stephanie
  • last year

I agree, Stephanie. People can certainly do what they want, but it would be nice if they considered the surroundings.

We were in Dallas recently, driving through an historic district … I lost count of how many huge modern gray concrete boxes were being built on land where old mansions used to stand. Beautifully kept old mansions, not tear-downs, of a variety of significant architectural styles and built by prominent architects of the eras. Including many wonderful MCM homes.

Giant old trees are being bulldozed along with the houses and pools. Live Oaks several hundred years old, for instance. Now barren lots among these old neighborhoods.

I like modern. I like lots of styles of homes. But I think it would be nice if tear-downs-to-new-builds were being done in a more thoughtful, intentional way. And I don’t know … maybe step out of the box?

(Teehee.)

• last year

Yes, yes! Thankfully I live in a town that flourished in the early half of the 20th century, so we have many tree lined streets with the original homes and, shudder, almost every one of them have their original wood shutters. They are sought after. I live in a developed neighborhood with slightly older homes. We were all excited to see a brand new house being built on one of the few empty lots. Absolutely the largest cube they could fit, as Stephanie says. Or should I say series of cubes. Modern farmhouse. When my college daughter was home for Thanksgiving and saw it for the first time she said, "that looks like something would have built for my Sims family when I was 10". But to each their own and I'm sure it's lovely inside.

Jilly thanked teeda
  • last year

The last time I posted about an old house being drastically modernized (a significantly historic Maybeck in SF with all original details erased), I got blasted for it by some woman who insulted my hair color and said I should mind my own business.

Not everyone likes nosy blondes who love old houses, is the lesson I took from that.

• last year

@Jinx I live in Los Angeles and there are almost no neighborhoods in which the original homes aren't bought to tear down unless they are in a historically preserved neighborhood or they are in a style that is very much sought after so that collectors wish to restore them.

For awhile, really incongruous homes were being built but that phase seems to have ended and for the most part the homes resemble the ones being replaced except larger and much more functional on the interior of course. I call them Leave It To Beaver homes on steroids but I guess they fall into the broad category of modern farmhouse although they don't literally resemble that - just homes that look like most suburban homes that were built years ago.

Jilly thanked Helen
  • last year

Interesting, Helen, thanks!

• last year

Helen’s comments don’t apply to most of Venice.

The larger craftsman/bungalows are being (mostly) preserved, but new homes are predominantly modern. Then again, there are a number of architects that live/have lived in Venice, and modern is their style, and has decidely shaped the new aesthetic. At least in the pedestrian streets and surrounding areas.

Jilly thanked nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
  • last year

Jinx,

Say it was not Highland Park, please. My husband and two eldest are in Dallas right now and they made some noises about the houses in HP I didn't like, but thought they were not being serious.

Jilly thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • last year

Z, yes, the Park Cities are one area with this happening, but the worst was when we were going from the hospital district all the way over to 20. We took that route because the highways were so backed up that day. I’ll have to ask DD what street it was. It looked like a wasteland.

Apparently it’s prevalent in Houston, too, which shocks me. They used to be very protective of the historic mansions. In Fort Worth, more people are restoring old houses, rather than tearing them down.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville