SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcassel_gw

help with an open riser 'floating' stairs

mcassel
17 years ago

I am trying to do an open riser stair case a "floating stairs." Essentially during framing we would put blocking in the walls then use a 2"x2" steel angle attached the tread to the blocking after the drywall work is finished My space between the walls is 42" and once I take out the area for the angle bracket I am left with an unsupported span of 38".

I am using Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) for my flooring and wanted to use an ipe tread as well, I have contacted a few lumbar yards and the thickest kiln dried tread I can find is 1 1/8"Â We did some test on the tread to see if there was any deflection when spanned 38" unsupported and although there was not a lot of deflection, there was enough for my GC to have concerns.

What are some options to do a floating stair with no or little deflection? I would like to keep using Ipe but IÂm open to other suggestions to get the same look.

For example here are a few options:

1. put an 37" 1"x1" steel angle bracket along the back span of the tread  downside: is it would lose some of the clean look I am going for.

2. use a different material for the tread such as 2"x10" oak or a structural LVL Â downside: even with a stain would not look the same as the Ipe flooring

3. use a 1"x10" LVL and put ipe flooring on top of it. Â downside: if not done right it could look sloppy.

Comments (7)