SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hi2all_gw

Thanksgiving - What do you do special?

hi2all
14 years ago

Thanksgiving Survey -- family traditions? special foods?

Following Lynn's lead. Since Thanksgiving is over for the Canadians, and hasn't yet occurred in the U.S. I thought this might be a good time for questions.

1. Do you have any special traditions you always do on Thanksgiving?

2, What special foods do you serve? Does Auntie bring the Jello salad everone hates, but pretends to eat, not to hurt her feelings?

And, along that line:

3, Do you still serve the dish people inwardly groan when they see, whether it is green bean casserole,candied yams, or something else, because "it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it"?

4. Do your family and guests dress up, or wear jeans?

5. Visit, watch tv, go hunting (critters or retail goodies), what do you do in the afternoon?

6. Host or guest?

Please add any questions I've left out.

I'll start.

1. Do you have any special traditions you always do on Thanksgiving?

I designated my "Friendly Village" by Pfalzgraff as the *special Thanksgiving dishes*. The kids loved that.

2. What special foods do you serve? Does Auntie bring the Jello salad everone hates, but pretends to eat, not to hurt her feelings?

Mostly just the usual. One of the desserts is always pumpkin cake roll, and I always make Mother's fresh fruit salad. (Ambrosia to the Southern folks.) My late MIL always made a congealed salad. She was a lovely person, and I thought the world of her, but in 30+ years, I didn't ever see anyone actually *eatting* the salad on their plate.

3. Do you still serve the dish people inwardly groan when they see, whether it is green bean casserole,candied yams, or something else, because "it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it"?

Never did, but when I was hosting, if someone wanted to bring something, that was okay.

4. Do your family and guests dress up, or wear jeans?

My family always wore our "Sunday best" for holidays. I can remember when the men on both sides of my family wore suits and ties or dress pants and ties. The women and older girls all wore heels with their dresses. DH's family has always been casual, and wear jeans. Where we go now is also casual -- jeans, capris, whatever you want. Most places are more casual now; work, church, or hanging out.

5. Visit, watch tv, go hunting (critters or retail goodies), what do you do in the afternoon?

There is always someone doing one of the above.

6. Host or guest?

Guest now, host in the past. Each has it's advantages.

Your turn!

Lee

Comments (10)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions