SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

analog (audio) via usb?

chas045
10 years ago

I had been planning to use my laptop computer to clean up old audio tapes and LPs etc. However, the laptop died and we now have a new HP Envy Netbook running win 8.1. It was a gift and if it had been my choice, I might not have known differently anyway; but I have run into some surprises or concerns. The most critical one is that it doesn't seem to have an analog input. I have gotten slightly conflicting info on this from documentation and HP tech help, but it is probably true.

At first, I had assumed that it would be a simple issue of buying some inexpensive USB device and making sure that its driver was appropriate to work with the onboard suposedly nice 'Stereo Mix' audio card. However, after reading about some of these devices, I have become confused about USB (universal system bus) and ADC (analog to digital converters). I had casually thought that a system bus was a passive device that didn't include ADC. But reading about lower or higher quality in these audio devices or dongles suggested that they included ADC as their weak points; and therefore one might have to pay real money to get adequate CD audio conversion.

Does someone understand what is needed here? Admittedly, no one can hear to 48K Hz and old folks like me wouldn't hear 15K likely either, but an occasional listener might appreciate a better reproduction. If there are issues, might it be simpler (but ugly, and risking death by wife) to drag an old clunker PC near the stereo equipment to catch the data?

Comments (2)