SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

Vent hood noise measurements

kksmama
9 years ago

Sometimes my husband is brilliant. I was musing about my (replaced) kobe insert and the noise levels thereof and he said "there's gotta be an app for that". And of course there are many apps for measuring noise levels. After some brief research I chose Noisee because it cost .99 and was highly rated for accuracy as reported here http://www.safetyawakenings.com/safety-app-of-the-week-7/
I measured using my iphone 5, in a lifeproof nud case, and had the following results for my Kobe IN2642SQB-1200 (42")

Db at each fan speed follow:
Resting on the rangetop: quietmode 57.2, l 64.9, m 78.8, h 82.4
At the kitchen table 15 feet away: quietmode 50.4, l 57.7, m 70.6, h 73.5

I measured the lowest level, waiting for noise from an outdoor lawnmower, ice maker, water slurping dog, and a child munching his sandwich to subside.

Kobe's specifications are in sones and I don't quite understand how that translates to db:
QuietMode⢠350 cfm (1.6 sones)
Low Speed 475 cfm (2.8 sones)
Medium Speed 900 cfm (7.0 sones)
High Speed 1200 cfm (8.0 sones)

I'm not sure this is useful, but playing with the app was 99 cents worth of entertainment - who knew that the sound of a slurping dog 10 feet away would be over 2 Db?

In general, my house is loud (2 dogs and twice as many children). My subjective experience is that I never mind having the fan on quietmode, and I usually use low, reserving high only for the vigorous boiling of shellfish and medium for the occasional stir fry. The performance is great, and now that the lights and noise are fixed I think I'm going to be entirely happy with the venting.

Here is a link that might be useful: reports on noise app accuracy

Comments (8)