SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sidpost

Kitchen hood - baffles or not and effect on air movement and noise

sidpost
8 years ago

I have been looking at the Vent-a-Hood and Elica models. I need something for a 36" wide stove or cooktop (likely Bluestar) so, I am pretty much fixed on a 42" model but, would consider a 48" as well.

Reading the various websites, issues of noise and air flow are a topic of much debate. Vent-a-Hood claims their 600CFM blower flows like a 900CFM because of their efficient baffle-less "Magic Lung" blower. It is hyped as easy clean and quiet too. The Elica Calabria is 1200CFM with baffles and great lighting. I really like the design and cheaper price but, with the higher CFM's I'm worried about noise with baffles, cleaning issues, and Make-Up-Air.

What words of wisdom and recommendations do you have? Is a Vent-a-Hood really easier to clean? Is it really quieter and more efficient with air flow? How is the light quality? How does it compare to the Elica? If I run it at 600CFM will it be less efficient and louder? Do the baffles really make it that much louder, inefficient, and harder to clean?

TIA,

Sid

Comments (10)