SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilia_m

Quiet hood for induction cooktop (and makeup air)

Em J
7 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm planning a kitchen remodel, and I'm trying to figure out the ventilation requirements. I'm planning to buy 36 inch Wolf induction cooktop, and I'd like to install a wall hood above it. I sear occasionally, and sometimes stir-fry. The cooktop will be placed on the exterior back wall of the house, so would vent directly through that wall and not through the roof. I have few issues:

- noise. I'm very sensitive to noise, and I would like to find a hood that is quiet (it's hard, I know :( ). I read about baffles vs. mesh (baffles better), vent a hood (seems that opinion varies on these). Any recommendations?

- motor placement - exterior are supposed to be quiet, but I'm wondering if it would make a difference in my case as the motor would be just on the other side of the brick wall, with not much ducting in between?

- sized the motor. Initially I was planning 600 Cfm, but this may require makeup air. So I'm wondering if it's worth the expense, and if I should get a lower Cfm motor instead. I'm also concerned about insulation - wouldn't makeup air just add non-treated air to the house (it's an old row house, so not very tight, and not easy to keep cool or heated as is).

Any my help would be most appreciated!

Comments (11)