SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Faux floating vanity with deeply recessed platform?

kaysd
10 years ago

We are planning a 76" long x 28" deep floating vanity in a 3-sided alcove. It is deeper than usual because there will be a 4" deep x 12" high tiled ledge behind each faucet. The vanity will float 7" off the floor. The side walls will have pockets for pocket doors, so the vanity cannot be supported on the studs of the side walls.

The designer for the cabinet company said we have to support the cabinet from the bottom, not just the back wall. He suggested using 7" x 1" boards along the back and side walls to rest the cabinet on to provide additional support. These boards would be tiled to match the floor tile, and he claims no one will be able to tell. I already purchased custom 3.5" high bullnose tiles (out of our floor tile) to use as baseboards in the bathroom. I am worried how it will look where the baseboard meets the 7" high tiled area, even if it is recessed a few inches back from the front of the vanity. I also want to make sure the vanity has plenty of support, since DH and I both lean on the vanity while doing certain grooming tasks.

I am wondering if using a deeply recessed platform with a tiled toe kick would be a good alternative for support. Since the vanity base is 28" deep, it could go on a 12-14" deep platform that would run the length of the back wall. There would still be an open area at least 14" deep from the front of the vanity, that hopefully no one would notice does not go all the way back. Does this sound like it would work? Have you seen this done before? Any other ideas?

Comments (13)