SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
not2bright

Alternate to Adobe Flash for YouTube Vids ?

not2bright
12 years ago

Hi, and Happy New Year !

I've been playing a lot of You Tube videos lately (mostly soothing sounds/relaxation stuff) and have also been playing around with different browsers in general. At present I use FF6, Opera 11.60 and Comodo Dragon [Chrome] on a Windows 7 64-bit desktop.

Well, in FF and Comodo the videos start right up with little hesitation. But on Opera (which has been known to have occasional issues with YT) the videos delay for about 10 seconds (buffering ?) before starting.

I did a small amount of research and found that many people don't like the Adobe Flash player and like to avoid it where possible. So, I checked Opera's extension gallery and downloaded an extension called "You Tube WebM Plus," which is apparently a flash player alternative to the Adobe which FF and Comodo still use by default. With WebM the videos on Opera are loading much more quickly ! :-)

But all this got me to thinking: 1) Are there any good alternative Flash players (or programs which do the same things as Flash players) which would work for viewing YT vids on othere browsers and 2) do you more experienced users think it would be worth it to try to use these alternate programs for frequent YT viewing ? (I know I can peruse the various extension/add-on galleries of the other browsers, but I thought I would ask for your experienced opinions first.) :-)

Btw, I did notice that on YT's homepage, down at the bottom, if you click on "Try something new" you'll be taken to a page which includes their new, 'experimental' HTML5 player. Have any of you used that to know how well it works ? Would that be sufficient for someone in my situation or should I look for a program for installing in my respective browsers ?

Thanks for any comments ! :-)

Comments (3)