SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mousemen

Question - bathroom DIY project

mousemen
14 years ago

I just bought a single floor house which was built in 1975. I plan to remodel the half bathroom by myself. I had no DIY experience before. But since this bathroom is very tiny (5.5' X 6'), I think it might be a good starting point.

This bathroom just contains a vanity and a toilet. Here are the things I plan to do to the bathroom:

(1) Replace the saltillo tiles on the floors with new porcelain tiles.

(2) Remove square white ceramic tiles on two adjacent walls around the toilet.

(3) Install faux wainscoting on the walls.

(4) Paint the walls.

(5) Install a new toilet and a new pedestal.

Here are my questions:

(1)Yesterday I removed one saltillo tile from the floor by using hammer. Some old white thinset came out with the tile, some didn't. It looks to me the underneath is concrete. May I place thinset/tile directly on the concrete slab? Or should I install Ditra membrane first, then thinset and tile? The original tiles are in good condition right now. No cracks. They are just worn out.

(2)What exact power tool(s) should I use to speed up the tile/grout removal process? I tried to find the answer online. However, it seems different people favor different tools. I'm totally confused.

(3)What would be the correct/easiest way to remove the small tiles from the walls? Do I have to install new drywall afterwards?

(4)What aspects do you think are important for my first DIY project? I would greatly apprecite any suggestions!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor