SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melisande_gw

Is it possible I don't know how to take a bath??

melisande
16 years ago

Okay, all I really *need* to do is take out our old bathtub and put in a new one. We've already done the demo, we're in the process of removing old studs (amazing that there was no water damage near or around our 45 year old bathtub). We are adding an extra couple of feet to this tiny bathroom (5 x 9 with the two new feet we found in an adjacent closet).

The reason I want a new bathtub is that the one we have is shallow and I also want a whirlpool tub.

The plumber is going to move the drain and install the tub. However, I don't want to spend tons of money on plumbing if I don't have to - beyond moving the fixtures and the drain.

I rarely take a shower - but want a handheld shower available for guests.

What would be better and easier? A stand-alone tub? A drop-in tub? A tub with tile-flange? First, I thought we'd just tile the whole room and stick a standalone tub in. But there are so many posts here about mold and mildew, I began to wonder. Just getting in and out of a bathtub, I manage to splash a lot of water. I'm a bit claustrophobic and have never liked drying off inside a shower stall - so I drip water all over the place. So far, the floor isn't the area where we've had mildew - it's been the joint where the tub meets the tile and that's the only place I see (and around the soap dish that's mortared into the wall).

Since the reason that drop-ins are not recommended with showers is because there's no place for the water to run - if one is an enthusiastic and frequent bather, how is it way better, moldwise, if water just gets on the floor as opposed to on a tiled deck?

I realize that with the tile-flanged tubs the idea is that the water runs back into the tub - but of course, it doesn't once you're out of the tub! Are we supposed to dry off in our tubs?

Anyway - my DH wants an oval tub (has his heart set on it) and the easiest (to me) would be a drop-in or a standalone - but he thinks the deck (which would have room for a little seat if we do it right) would be safer.

Thoughts? Advice? We're almost done with the demo, I need some thoughts for sure. Plumber, so far, as been, "We'll install whatever you decide" but I'll pick his brain more thoroughly if you all give me questions to ask.

Comments (12)