SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

A note about the 'toilet room'

lkplatow
16 years ago

For those of you still in the planning stages, I thought I'd pass this along as it's something I never would have thought of. Recently a friend of mine's husband passed out in the toilet room - he was only in his 30s but had been sick with a stomach bug and I guess passed out from dehydration, etc. Her toilet room is very small and has an inward swinging door. She heard him fall but could only get the door open a couple inches because his body was blocking it. She could not check to see if he had a pulse or anything and spent several terrified minutes waiting for 911 to arrive. The paramedics promptly busted down the door and revived him. They said that it is pretty common for folks to pass out while on the toilet and that these little toilet rooms are becoming more and more of a problem for them when they're trying to access a sick person.

So I guess the lesson is that if you have a toilet room, either make it big enough so that the door can open even if someone passes out while on the toilet or make the door swing outward, not in. (Or just don't use the toilet room if you're not feeling so well, LOL!)

Just an fyi....

Comments (19)