SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
constantinople_gw

Going on vacation now?!?!

constantinople
12 years ago

What would you do if,...

We are in the homestretch of our build. We had the wood flooring delivered and racked out and discovered some pretty high moisture readings in the subfloor, probably due to the very wet / snowy winter. We are running a bunch of dehumidifiers to bring the moisture level down.

When I went to the site today, the flooring sub told me that, by the way, he was scheduled to go on vacation for THREE WEEKS! I had never been told of any planned vacation. Now, because of the moisture issues, and the extra acclimation time, it looks as though the floor will not be nailed before he leaves, which means that all progress will stop during his 21 days away.

I don't begrudge him a vacation, but what should I do? I am in a rental and my landlord will not extend my lease even one day...so, we need to keep moving. I would feel awkward about hiring someone else to finish the job, but I don't know if I have a choice. Leaving the house in limbo at the finishing stage for three weeks seems completely crazy under the circumstances. Even if he can lay the floor before he leaves, I will be in a bind since he won't be back until the 26th of June and I have to be out of the house I'm in by the end of June.

Nothing like a little excitement....!

Any thoughts?

Comments (2)