SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nita__az

Yeehaw, leaving ion a vacation...long with pictures

Nita__AZ
14 years ago

For many years Mike and I have talked and dreamed of owning a 5th wheel and hitting the road. Three years ago he retired and I asked him if he was bored sitting home and playing on the computer. He said he didn't want to go anywhere and that if I wanted to travel to go do my thing.

Well you don't have to tell me twice, so for the past 2 years I have been going on vacations alone.

Now I have to tell you that I really enjoy my alone time and I can visit anyone I want to and do anything I want to.

A few months ago we started talking about how it would be fun to travel around and live our dream. I paid our house off about a month ago and then we started looking for the right vehicles for us. It didn't take us long to decide on what we wanted for a 5th wheel. On the 17th of May we purchased the 5th wheel and only needed the truck to pick it up.

The truck was a little harder but I persisted and thanks to ebay found and bought the truck of Mike's dream. We got plane tickets to go to Dallas on May 19. The truck is a 2008 Ford F450 with duel wheels and 4x4 diesel. It has the Kings Ranch interior with the entertainment package. Lots of bells and whistles.

Two days before we were to go to Dallas I found the motor scooter that I wanted. It was located in

Henderson, TX which is only 153 miles east of Dallas. Talked to Mike and he said we could put it in the bed of the truck. So I called the guy and bought it over the phone sight unseen. 2008 Honda Silverwing scooter 600cc engine. This is an automatic gas and go and will top out over 100 mph.

We picked up the truck and spent the night in Fort Worth visiting friends. The next day we drove to Henderson and got the scooter and drove to Tyler where we were going to spend the night with KathyTX. We went out to dinner with Kathy and her husband and also with Vannie and her husband. Lots of fun and great company.

After a good nights sleep we headed back home which was more than 900 miles away. Lillypad lives near where we were going to spend the night so we met at a restaurant and got to visit for a couple of hours.

{{gwi:1733438}}

The last day of the trip was very long and we were glad to get home to our own bed. It was a great mini vacation and the first since we got Bobby 14 years ago.

We took the truck to Tucson to the RV dealership to have the hitch installed in the bed of the truck.

3 days later we went to do the walk through, which took 3 hours, and then drove the rig home. Man this thing looks like a semi going down the road. It sure is pretty though. lol The 5th wheel is a 2010 Heartland Cyclone toy hauler. It is actually 41 feet long and the last 12 feet is a garage to put your toys in. It also has central vacuuming, a bath and a half, sleeps 10 and has 2 queen size beds that come down from the ceiling of the garage. We also have 2 refrigerators.

This is the interior looking from the front to the back.

Interior from back to the front.

We have been filling our traveling home for over a week. I think everything we need is in there. If not there is a WalMart on every corner. lol We will be heading out on Tuesday morning going back to Texas. We will have dinner in our new home with Buzzard and RuthieG on Wednesday night. Then we will be off to Killeen to visit friends for about 4 days. From there we are going to Fort Worth and will hook up at TrinityTX's house and spend a few nights there. She has offered to take us around to see the sights. I am thrilled that she and I will have a couple of days to really get to know each other.

After we leave Fort Worth I think we will be headed home. We want to go to Yellowstone National Park. On the way there we will hopefully meet Lori Utah. We have to be home by the end of July so Bobby can get his school books and all the other things that are required on July 30.

I will have my laptop along so will be able to check in and hopefully share pictures with you all along the way. This is going to be quite the adventure for my family and I for one am looking forward to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: slide show of interior of RV

Comments (28)

• shellm
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good luck on your trip ,Nita.My parents live outside tuscon,in Green Valley.They have a motorhome and spend the summers in Thayne,Wy.

Shelley

• nodakgal
    14 years ago

Whoooohooooo! Go Nita Go!
    I am so looking forward to reading of your adventures!!!

To the peeps that will be meeting Nita and family....you are in for one fantastic visit with a real gem!!!

• Nita__AZ
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shelley, when you come visit your parents we could get together. I am only 1.5 hours away from Green Valley.

• Nita__AZ
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now Connie, you have me blushing here. lol You sure do know how to exagerate girl. Love you too.

• trinitytx
    14 years ago

Your so right this home on wheels is massive!! How cool!
    I really look forward to you coming here, and of course, our home is your home.
    See ya next week!

Trin

• maryanntx
    14 years ago

You will be traveling in style! It's beautiful!
    I finally figured out that I had met a KTer that you hadn't met, Lori, and now you are heading up to meet her too! LOL

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

You must have bought a good lottery ticket! lol Wow, it all looks so nice Nita!

Looking forward to reading about your adventures and KT get-togethers. Have fun!!

• Nita__AZ
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lydia, we are spending our children's inheritance. lol

• hayjud_mn
    14 years ago

Wow ! That thing is HUGE! You are really going to be roughing it! LOL !

I hope DH starts likeing traveling too. This is going to be great fun for you guys!

• wanda_va
    14 years ago

Nita, I couldn't be happier for you and Mike. Your rig is spectacular, and I know you will love it. Have a wonderful trip! Do you need directions for getting to Virginia??? You know you are always welcome here. Hugs!

• donna_oh
    14 years ago

Holey Moley!!!! What a fantastic set-up!

Don't think I need to tell ya to have fun! LOL

Donna (^_^)

• msmarion
    14 years ago

Man oh man, you are gonna have some good times in that baby!! Don't forget to set the GPS for the east coast of FL next winter. We could put my bike in the garage with yours and go to Daytona in March for bike week! LOL
    Happy travels!

• shellm
    14 years ago

Have a great time Nita,would love to meet you when I come visit.Maybe next spring.

Shelley

• Granlan_TX
    14 years ago

Wowee Zowee, Nita! Do you still have your trike, too? I think that would be so much fun to ride.

Y'all have tons of fun and stay safe on your travels.

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

Nita, Mike and Bobby have fun this summer!! You just gotta come to Iowa again. Enjoy your travels. I really envy you.

• itsmesuzq
    14 years ago

Nita your rig looks like it's carrying a ROCK STAR!! And you my dear are a rock star in my book! You love life and always want to share your spirit with others!! To me that's something special...

Have a fabulous time and I can't wait to read and watch as you travel this summer. God speed....

Susan

• grammahony
    14 years ago

Good for you Nita, and Mike. Your rig is beautiful. I hope sometime you'll come a little farther north, and spend some time with mom and I at our place on the river. We have room and hook ups.
    What are you going to do with your kitties? Take them along?
    I know you'll love traveling.
    Leslie

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

How much does the trailer weigh?

• JoanMN
    14 years ago

That's beautiful, Nita. I'm glad I'm not driving it, though!

They truly are like a home away from home!
    JoanMN

• alisande
    14 years ago

I'm practically speechless, Nita. My house doesn't sleep ten and have central vacuuming! And that truck is a truck!! When you two decide to get equipped, you get equipped!!

Oh, one thing: You are under orders to resist finding out if your scooter really does go 100 mph. :-)

That was a fun photo essay!

• Nita__AZ
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am taking a break from loading the last minute stuff. I can hardly fill up one fridge never mind two.

When we stop for lunch we will use the garage (not taking bikes this time) and lower the couch down and set up the table to make our sandwiches on and eat there too. The cats will be able to roam around and use the kitty box if they need it. Will also give them some water and food. I am putting all the bread and lunch stuff in the garage fridge. It also has a space in the door for cans of soda.

Mike said that the RV weighs 15,000 pounds dry. It weighs a lot more than that now with all the other stuff we put in there. I was careful not to put things in that we don't need. There is a WalMart wherever you go so we can get things if we need them.

We are taking the 3 cats with us. They have a huge kitty box that won't spill litter all over. We are also taking their big gym with the sisal rope poles and the cubby hole housing in it. We won't be able to take that along when we have the bikes. I have already packed their toys, brushes and food. Yesterday we put them in the RV so that they could get used to it.

I think we are going to have a wonderful time. Bobby is going to get to meet one of his half sisters. She lives in Fort Worth with her mother and step-father. We visited them a few weeks ago when we picked up the truck. The mother and I have written back and forth for years but that was the first time we ever met.

Alisande, I will never get up to 100 mph because I am too chicken. I will get up to 80 mph I am sure but that is enough for me.

Well break time is over so back to work.

• mariend
    14 years ago

Good luck on your traveling. Have you traveled with RV's before? If not, just a couple of tips. Please physically measure your height of the rig and watch your bridges. We had a Monaco 5th wheel, 31 ft, but almost 12 feet high, and just barely made it under the bridge once in Pierre SD, after that, took the truck route.
    Not all Walmarts are RV friendly for overnights. Don't join Coast to Coast-- too high and hard to park in many of their sites. Thousand Trails ok, but better with the very expensive full package. You can get used memberships thru Campground Sales, We sold ours there and were happy. Passport America is very good, not special campground, good magazine and up to 50% off on campgrounds. Good Sam only 10% off and some parks are better than others.
    Do you have special towing insurance with your car insurance? You will learn to park WAY out in parking lots and do alot of walking. Be sure and lock up everything, and when in a park, leave nothing out. If you travel with pets, find out rules and fees before you sign in. We also learned to park outside and walk in to see the sites before we pulled the rig in and tried to turn it around in a very tiny space. Do you belong to AAA? They have improved maps and books. At some truck stops, like the Flying J, they have a map/book showing mountain passes etc. Very valuable for areas like Yellowstone etc.
    Lots of things we learned the hard way, but oh do miss it.

• susanjf_gw
    14 years ago

i sure hope you have as much fun traveling as my fil did...he just recently gave up his rig (health probems) but sure enjoyed traveling for many years...use it in good health and keep us on the road with you, in photos!

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Yowza...you go girl!!!! Don't forget we have hookups in the lot behind the house and you would always be welcome!!
    Hugs to you,
    J

• Nita__AZ
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Back again, man that driveway is long when you go up and down it a hundred times. lol

Marie, it has been a lot of years since we hauled a trailer. We do belong to AAA and plan on joining Good Sam. We got a membership to Camping World (you can spend a fortune there) and will look into others as we go along. I also just got the membership in KOA since we will be using a lot of them. We are retired military so we can use their campgrounds also.

Our cats are going with us and I always check to see what the rules are at a campground before getting a site. I am also good at looking at a site before we pay for it.

Jackie, I was going to stop by on this trip but Mike wants to head back so we can get ready to go to Yellowstone. Besides we would be getting to Waco on a week day and you work. We will keep your place in mind. You never know when we will be headed back to Texas again. Maybe when we do get there we can go riding with Charlie. No bikes on this trip though. Hugs to you both.

• grinch_gut
    14 years ago

You will have sooo much fun!! We have looked at the toy haulers too they are cool...but we use ours more for a home so usually just have the hands pull the toys.....I want a homey feel when we are traveling and living in it on jobs...LOL.....Tell your DH that that is my DH's dream truck too and he is saying we are getting rid of his and fixing to get that so we shall see...he gets in looking mode for about 3 years then....he finally forgets or buys it wears me out....have a great great trip...Stacy

• lattefairy
    14 years ago

Congratulations on your new toy hauler. It's beautiful and I wish you lots of fun trips with it!

• zeetera
    14 years ago

That's the life Nita! You all are going to be mistaken for movie stars in that, lol.

I hope you have a good time on the road.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County