SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zfrankle

Terrible customer service from Capital

zfrankle
12 years ago

I really didn't expect this after the rave reviews I read here. I bought a Capital Precision range, and was delighted when it was installed two weeks ago. My joy didn't last too long, because the range started making an unholy racket when the oven reached a temperature of 300 degrees. I unplugged it and called Capital the day it happened and left a message. No one got back to me. Finally I reached a live person a couple of days later, and they diagnosed it as a malfunctioning cooling fan, and promised that a replacement would arrive within a week. The week went by, and no fan. I wrote them an email, and got no answer. I tried calling a couple of times and no one picked up the phone again. Today I finally got through to a live person, who very obnoxiously told e that the part had been sent out and it would "get there soon" and that they shipped it via UPS ground, and if I hadn't received it within a couple of days they's track it. (that would make it two weeks since I left the message) When I told him this wasn't the level of service appropriate for such an expensive item he said "thank you for calling Capital" and hung up on me. The attitude of this company is unbelievable. Ignoring repeated calls and emails, then treating the customer rudely when I finally do get through is no way for anyone to behave, regardless of the cost of the item you're selling, but it's especially galling when I'm trying to get the most expensive appliance I ever bought to function properly. I hope this isn't an omen of future problems, and it's a far cry from the rosy picture painted by most Capital fans here.

Comments (43)

• kitchenkat
    12 years ago

Just curious....Were they sending the fan to you or to a local service company? If they were sending it directly to you, were you supposed to install it?

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They're supposed to be sending it to me directly - I asked them if it was something I could install myself and they said "most likely". If it's simple, I prefer to do it myself than take time off from work to wait for a technician. Anyway, it's still not here, and I still have no responses to my emails or phone message. I'm so disappointed in their lack of professionalism.

• Related Discussions

Capital Range Customer Service

Q

Comments (49)
    The one leg pad looks like it was damaged at some point. I have since placed a plastic bottle lid over it, and that should prevent future gouging. None of this could be pinned on Capital directly, but indirectly yes, because they contracted with a negligent firm. The irony of this is I just had a GE dishwasher installed an hour earlier by a GE contract firm. They went to great lengths to make sure there was no scratching on anything.... very professional. They do all of Home Depot local installations....go figure.
    ...See More

Capital Culinarian repair service - Is this typical??

Q

Comments (32)
    David, I posted another message re calibrating your CC ovens, not sure where it went... Ask Capital to give you instructions on calibrating your oven, you should not have to mentally calibrate your temperature setting each time you use an oven. My repair tech calibrated my oven. He removed the oven knob and used a flat heat screwdriver to turn a set screw in the shaft. Put your thermometer in the oven, a remote temperature probe like you would use to keep track of temp on a roast would be good. Turn your oven on, and track the cycling of the temp. You will need to turn the screw in the shaft to adjust the temp up or down. I don't remember which direction the tech turned it, but you could start with what the eHow article says, if you can't get specific info from Capital. You are aiming to have the set temp exactly in the middle of the temp range that the oven thermostat cycles to. If the temperature range is very large when the oven cycles on and off, you should talk to Capital about getting a new thermostat. After I go the new one, it cycled very tightly, about 10 degrees above and 10 below. I would think anything with 20 to 25 above and below to be acceptable. I certainly wouldn't be happy with 50 or 80 above or below (and some brands of ranges have thermostats that are that bad). But you will need a technician to install the new thermostat. It's not a simple install because it requires removing lots of stuff to get to where it goes. Good luck, Mary Ann
    ...See More

Anyone else have a terrible time with Viking customer service?

Q

Comments (4)
    jgopp, I have a Viking hood. Would it be helpful to you if I took pictures so you could figure out what's missing? When I take out the filters for cleaning, there are side pieces and a center piece that would definitely qualify as "spacers". I also probably have the instructions somewhere which might provide part numbers. Just let me know if this would help. Sorry about the hassle you're facing. If there is any option for returning the hood, you might want to think about it. Not to add insult to injury, but I'm not crazy about the performance of my hood. It's noisier than I'd like, and I don't think the draw is all that good. I wish I'd done a little more research before selecting the Viking.
    ...See More

Terrible customer service ? Or is it me?

Q

Comments (31)
    This got me so fired up that I’m using my data to answer this! I would definitely ask him to remove the photo and withhold payment until he does so. A friend of mine had a very expensive patio installed in her back yard with a fireplace. She is an avid gardener and handled all the landscaping herself. The hardscaping company installed none of it. After a year or two, they came by and noted how good it looked and asked if they could take a picture to show on their website gallery. She told them no because the impression would be that the company had installed the landscaping, which they did not. They’re reply “But it looks so good!” Yes, because the homeowner handled it, not the installers. As for the pool company, wash your hands of them and find a new one. ETA: I am sick of poor customer service so when I experience GREAT service I tell everyone I can about the company. And I make sure the crappy company knows they have lost my business.
    ...See More
  • kitchenkat
    12 years ago

It seems to me that the lack of professionalism is borne out as much by Capital not automatically arranging for a service professional to handle the problem as by not sending the part to you in a timely manner. To say that you could "most likely" handle the repair yourself shows an attitude that one would not expect from a company that builds high end products. I think most manufacturers would insist on a professiional servicer handling a warranty repair of this nature.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    12 years ago

I agree half and half with kitchenkat regards having the parts sent directly to a service company, having said that some fixes are easy and can be done by willing customer, where as some should not be handled by a customer, in the case where its an easy fix I don't see the problem sending the part to a customer directly to get the job done and fixed fast.

Of course the above statement requires the manufacturer to send the parts out FAST, in this case that clearly was not the case. From the description of by the OP's problem above this sounds like a service company would be needed.

Can I think of an excuses for Capital that will cover not returning calls or replying to emails or such a delay on sending parts to wherever .....NO.... I am sure even the Capital management would agree with me on that one.

If you have not heard from anyone yet or you don't have the parts in hand you can give me a call and I will do all I can to highlight your problem with Capital.

• elisamama
    12 years ago

I am seriously considering buying a Culinarian soon and this does give me pause.

I hope this gets resolved quickly. I look forward to reading about a speedy resolution!

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Trevor, I appreciate the offer. I sent them another email today, so let's give them a little time to respond, and hopefully they'll step up and do the right thing.

• JKCapital13211
    12 years ago

As a factory representative of Capital Cooking, I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences and trepidations you have all recently experienced.
    Capital is continuously striving to provide quality in both the products manufactured and the service provided to these products, both pre and post sale.
    I am working with our service manager to determine what has happened and to resolve your specific issues as soon as possible and also to determine how our communication chain broke down so future incidents such as your, do not occur.

• JKCapital13211
    12 years ago

To zfrankle

I�ve been investigating your service experience and have found some of our stumbles.

After your call, our service manager input the order for your part... but forgot to process it. He�s an extremely competent individual and this is not the norm. Your parts have now been shipped and should arrive tomorrow. If you require help, please call for instructions on installation.

After reading that you e-mailed customer service I went to check and found that your message had not been received. This uncovered a problem with our e-mail server which was receiving e-mails but didn�t make them visible to service. This has now been resolved and we�re reviewing all e-mails from the time this occurred (including yours).

Phone responses have also been discussed internally and we will work to continuously improve our response time and etiquette.

I will continue to follow-up on all these matters and intend to fully convey Capitals commitment to quality.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much for the follow up, JKCapital1321! I did get both an email and a phone message last night clarifying what happened, and notified that Capital overnighted the part to me.
    I'm very happy to learn that this was just an isolated mistake, I was getting a bit worried there. It's great to see that you listen to your customers - everybody makes mistakes, what differentiates a great company is how they respond to them. I greatly appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be cooking by the weekend!

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Ah, the power of the internet and GW in particular! LOL.

I take it since the intro of the Culinarian the volume of work has increased for everybody at Capital.

I am sure they are debating if this is just a temporary rush of orders or a new permanent higher level of sales. In which case they need to hire new people.

This is a problem all small companies experiencing rapid growth encounter.

As long as problems get resolved in a "reasonable" amount of time it is all good as far as I am concerned.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well it is Friday the 13th, I should've expected this. As promised, Capital did send me the new fan. However, it is faulty - the fan is assembled so that the front part hits the electric transformer when it tries to turn.
    The old fan was making a racket because three of its 4 securing tabs had broken off, and ALL the screws and bolts were gone, I assume somewhere within the bowels of the range.
    How this can happen to a range that had never been used is beyond me. I can only guess that quality control from the fan supplier is very poor. Now I'm really worried - is my range safe to use at all? I called Capital again, but I guess they clear out at 5 sharp, because there was no answer. Doesn't look like II'll be cooking this weekend either.
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2188/5716978207_51c57eabf9_s.jpg
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2216/5717543708_341f88ace9_s.jpg

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, I messed up the photo upload. Will try to figure it out later.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The old fan, with only one of its 4 tabs:

the new one, where the fan hits:

• cassity
    12 years ago

That's a blower and it moves a lot of air (maybe 240 cfm). Not the fan next to the motor shown on the left of zfrankle's top pic--but the outlet of the part, facing down. That's a blower most often used on a stove or fireplace for heating a room.

It's probably cooling electronics. If that blower fails to cool the range (electronics, door, sides, back) under normal operation they probably have a hi-limit switch to shut everything down.

Where was the blower mounted?

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's correct Cassity, the blower itself is a cage type that runs the full length of the body, the part in the close up is the small fan outside the body. I believe its function is to cool the fan's own electric motor, but you can see that if it turned the blade would hit the black frame. As I understand it, this fan kicks in at temperatures above 300 degrees to cool the oven door latch. It's mounted in the back of the range above the oven cavity, blowing towards the front.

• cassity
    12 years ago

Probably not to cool the latch but the electronics and the door, knobs, knob control panel and steel panel under the door. I couldn't find any numbers on the Precision, but I'd guess that's the same fan used in the Culinarian to get an 89 degree door (oven at 350).

The bad thing about having a blower is that it's another part to fail and if it does the unit (at least the oven) will probably shut down as the unit relies on that blower to keep it cool.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Capital CS rep told me the fan's purpose was to cool the latch; not sure if he was accurate or not. Had I known this cooling fan existed it would've made me think twice, because one of my goals was to buy a range with a minimum of things that could fail - I thought the convection fan was the only thing I had to worry about. There's no mention of this fan in Capital literature, and the salesman where I bought it didn't mention it. (not that you can expect salespeople to know every detail of every product) I just hope this gets resolved soon, I already had to throw out the roast I intended to make for the inaugural meal from this range.

• cassity
    12 years ago

zfrankle,

Whatever way they're locking the door, that mechanism has a motor and electronics and that's what the blower is cooling-that's what the rep meant-it's not cooling a metal latch per se.

That blower moves a lot of air so I would bet its job is to cool more than a door latch mechanism.

I agree 100% with you though, all things (roughly) equal I would have went with a range that has a minimum of things that could fail.

I would have also avoided self-clean. In my opinion that's the best way to kill your range. Very high temps (900 F) that make blowers necessary to make the unit safe.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't want and would never use the self-clean feature, but that's the only model that comes with a rotisserie. That I'll definitely use. (once the thing gets fixed)

• cassity
    12 years ago

I think that's a wise move (not using self-clean).

Anyway, the best of luck to you.

• Jon T
    12 years ago

I've had my Culinarian about 6 months now, and have needed service from Capital a few times, so I thought I should post my experiences.

So far I have been extremely pleased with the service and support I have received from the factory. As one of the first adopters of the Culinarian, I was not expecting perfection so the need for service was not surprising nor disappointing to me. One wheel bearing on one gliding rack was deffective, the factory quickly shipped two replacements. My ignitors needed to be adjusted, which was easy to do with guidance from Trevor. I still had a problem with one igniter that would click on simmer. The factory sent a technician to my house (I'm about 1-1/2 hr drive away fromt the factory with moderate traffic, much longer during rush hour) who replaced all four burner assemblies. More recently, after finally using my rotisserie, it stopped rotating after about 10 minutes. The factory sent a technician to my house to fix the problem. (zfrankel...he discovered a bad spot weld that failed on the doo-hickey that sits atop the motor shaft that is used to engage the down rod of the rotisserie assembly - the motor was rotating, but it could not translate that into rotisserie rotation. Because they designed it as an assembly, the entire motor needed to be replaced, which he did on the spot. Yes, I checked the appearance of the spot welds on the replacement, they looked fine!)

My dealings with Bob at the factory have been very pleasant. He has been prompt and informative. There was a mix up on one service call, the technician was sick and I was not notified. So I sat at home for nothing. Not good, but stuff happens. I must also say the support I have received from Trevor has been nothing short of outstanding.

That's just my experience, hope it helps. I remain very satisfied with my Culinarian.

Jon

• JKCapital13211
    12 years ago

The assumptions that the fan keeps the door latch cool is correct. It's the only electronic part within the range within the hot area above the oven. Unfortunately it appears that the cooling fans secondary blades were damaged during shipping. I will talk to service and notify them of this issue immediately and you're right, we should have scheduled for shipment prior to Friday the 13th!
    FYI, The fan turns on when the area around the door latch reaches 140 degrees and is required by the safety standards to protect the electronic door lock.
    We will work to resolve this right away. Sorry for the troubles this is causing.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great to hear about Jon's exemplary service; it's good to live near the factory. I agree, Bob's been very responsive and helpful. Unfortunately (in terms of servicing a Capital at least), I live on the east coast, so everything is much slower, since the local service company has to wait for parts from CA. I'm still waiting, but hopefully it won't be much longer.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm disappointed to report that despite constant promises of swift action, nothing has been fixed yet. In the last email from Capital they apologized for the delay and promised that the local service rep would call me today to arrange a service time, but that hasn't happened. I'm now going on my fifth week without a working oven. Not sure what to do or who to turn to anymore.

• JKCapital13211
    12 years ago

@zfrankle. I understand your disappointment and apologize again. To update you on what has happened, a new fan, screws, and nuts were shipped to your servicer who should have contacted you upon receipt. Those parts were received by the servicer today (5/23/11) so our Service Manager will call in the morning to follow-up and find out what has happened. You should expect a call tomorrow. Once again, sorry for the inconvenience. We hope to have you up and running shortly!

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

JKCapital13211 is there a way I can contact you directly? I don't mean for every detail of this to be played out in a public forum, but I don't know how to reach you and I'm getting no results from the factory.
    Your service manager did not call yesterday. Moreover, I called your servicer and they had no knowledge of having received any parts for me. So far everyone is very nice and expresses concern, but there has been no action taken, and it's unlikely that i will have a functioning oven in time for the holiday weekend, since we'd need to schedule the repairs around my work schedule, and there are only two days left.
    Funny thing is that yours was the only appliance for which I did not get an extended warranty, because I thought your coverage was very good. Looks like I made an expensive mistake.

• PRO
    12 years ago

zfrankle..... This is ridicules, please give me a call today

• oregpsnow
    12 years ago

I think I will keep my 11 year old stove. If I had to go through this with a new, expensive product I would deposit it on their doorstep and demand a refund. You can get better service from Lowe's.

• kist1
    12 years ago

trevorlawson,

Capital should put you on retainer for putting out fires for them on the gardenweb--you give it heck.

They're lucky they have you monitoring this forum.

• PRO
    12 years ago

If this unfortunate customer calls me I will fix the problem, if not there is not much can do.

Really I shouldn't not have to do anything, but sadly all manufacturers screw every now and again.

Hopefully me emails and calls have moved things along today.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

Trevor,

I know you are also an American Range dealer.

Are you going to give the new open burner range from AR the full battery of test and let the chips fall where they may?

Thanks,

Sorry to do a one post Highjack but just this one.

Promise.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

I think I will keep my 11 year old stove. If I had to go through this with a new, expensive product I would deposit it on their doorstep and demand a refund. You can get better service from Lowe's.

You can also get much worse service from Lowe's.

Try getting a replacement part for a Jenn-Air BBQ with a lifetime warranty that at the time was a Lowe's exclusive.

Try getting that part for under 5 phones calls and some nasty threats and strongly worded letters.

Nancy Pelosi has a better chance of being elected Gov of Texas.

But this Capital thing IS rediculous.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Trevor, many thanks for your help. (I wish I had bought my Capital from you!) The local service agency did finally call and schedule the repair for today, so hopefully this will be behind us soon. And I greatly appreciate the support of the community here.
    I don't think the Capital is a bad product by any means, (though I question their choice of fan suppliers) I think this whole thing is an unfortunate series of miscommunications, followed by a rather lax attitude towards arranging a repair. i.e. if someone has already waited weeks, don't ship small parts by ground across the country. That adds a minimum of another week. It's a good thing they have people like Trevor in their court.

• docduc
    12 years ago

I bought mine from Trevor and I had a small problem with the metal range knob. Bob from Capital called me after I spoke to Trevor. I will have new knob fittings sent to me.

• JKCapital13211
    12 years ago

@zfrankle. I hope today's service call finally resolved the issues you've experienced with your range. I'll make no excuses since we do understand that we dropped the ball here, but will promise that we've been working on taking steps to assist us in preventing this type of incident in the future. You will receive a follow-up call Friday to see how everything went.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A happy end: At long last, It's fixed! Thanks JKCapital13211, Trevor, and everyone who helped, I really do appreciate it. I understand that these things happen now and again; i'm very glad it's finally resolved and I can get down to cooking for the holiday weekend. Looking forward to many years of great meals from this range.

• TominLA
    12 years ago

My issue is not directly related to the matter outlined above, but I sent an email to Capital on October 25 after two unanswered phone calls, making a simple inquiry regarding product specific information and to date have yet to receive a reply.

I'm about to purchase a Precision range, but now this thread has me thinking. Sure would have been nice to have received a timely response and removed any lingering doubt I had.

Not sure what to do now...

• tyguy
    12 years ago

TominLA: Buy the Precision range and then fire Surjit Kalsi's bottom. Cause as a customer of Capital you are his boss.

• TominLA
    12 years ago

Thanks, but that seems a bit extreme. Just an appropriate reply would suffice.

All in all, I think I'm going to move ahead with the Precision. I can get a GCR304 for $2999, and it seems a price that is too good for me to pass up.

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

Seriously tyguy, fire the president of a company because someone in customer service isn't being responsive enough. Maybe someone in customer service is lazy, or maybe they are just overwhelmed as their business is growing at a rate that they can no longer keep up. Surgit has even addressed some issues on this forum personally. I can't recall that happening with any other manufacturer. I got my CC in less than 2 weeks as they had it in stock at the the factory and it's LP. I hear there is a much longer lead time now. TominLA, the reputation of the Capital Precision is very good, and the only difference from the Culinarian is the burners. Watch some older episodes of chopped and look at how huge those sealed burner caps are, most of the flame goes up around the outside of the pan. That caused problems for many competitors. I think I would be very unhappy with those burners. If you could stretch the budget another thousand, I think you would be much happier with the CC or a BlueStar. I heard that American Range came out with an open burner residential range targeted for a lower price point. ARROB430N $2999 at AJMadison. The higest powered burners on the American Range are 25,000 btu and the oven will hold a full sized baking sheet just like a BlueStar. Yes, the open burners are so much better. Capital has all their owners manuals online on their website, so you may be able to find the information you were looking for there.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Lol....sorry...My sarcastic humour doesn't sit well.

At any rate, the American range is really fascinating me. The specs seem great, and I love the looks of it.

Trevor: have you investigated these units yet? It may be the new "best range in the US". (i am not being sarcastic here)

• PRO
    12 years ago

tyguy..... I have not seen the anyone report back here about the new AR open burner, in my experience with AR they make a good products, they are deeply entrenched in the Restaurant market so residential is a filler / second line.

The only problem I had with AR was delivery of products, off the top of my head I think I gave more money back to customers who's ranges and wall ovens never arrived than I made selling them.

As for the "Best in the US" comment (not taken sarcastically) if I test the AR open burner range and it is the best in the US overall, I will declare is as such and promote its as such, unlike many others on this site have no problem so called flip flopping to another range, I have no problem selling the best to my customers, When I do flip flop I do it so I can maintain my companies end goal "SELL THE BEST"

If I had my way / money I would get 15-20 of the most prolific posters on this site together in one room and design, build and test the ULTIMATE COOKING MACHINE, That way just maybe everyone would agree ....lol

Right now I will be sticking with what I know to be the best in the US ;).

• tyguy
    12 years ago

> The only problem I had with AR was delivery of products, off the top of my head I think I gave more money back to customers who's ranges and wall ovens never arrived than I made selling them.

Definitely not good from your perspective. Maybe there has been changes?

> If I had my way / money I would get 15-20 of the most prolific posters on this site together in one room and design, build and test the ULTIMATE COOKING MACHINE, That way just maybe everyone would agree ....lol

If you do this, make sure the site is in MA. I could really use a nice visit to beautiful New England. Oh, and summer months please.

> Right now I will be sticking with what I know to be the best in the US ;).

I'm assuming we are talking BS here :)

Joking aside, I would love to see you investigate this range more.