SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
willinak

Capital Range Customer Service

willinak
9 years ago

Mostly people write on the internet forums, such as this one, when they're frustrated and need a place to vent and they have nowhere else to go. Well, count me in here as well.

I won't go into detail at this time, however if you are considering a Capital range, I'll give you my experience privately. Suffice to say that they have shown me that they are not a customer service oriented company. It's a shame because the range has a lot of potential, but when something doesn't go right, then that's where the wheels fall off.

Comments (49)

• gtadross_gw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's the nature of the beast that people who have problems voice their complaints louder than people who love the product.

I appreciate your discretion in not bashing a company, but I think the forum members here would appreciate hearing what the problem is and what, if anything, the company did to rectify it.

• willinak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your advice. If anyone would like to know the details of my current experience, then they could send me an email. I only meant to appeal to those genuinely interested in buying a Capital product and let them know what one customer's experience is/was.
    And no there is currently no resolution to the problem and literally no communication from Capital. The situation could change, which is why I prefer to keep it low profile, and if it does change for the positive, then I will certainly post that up as well.
    Thanks again

• Related Discussions

The Capital no-service saga continues

Q

Comments (19)
    Can you use Facebook or Twitter to spread your message? Find a cooking site, or a foodie site and let'em have it. Capital can't afford any more bad publicity - it gets enough here. I am not sure why people still buy them but if you choose to you should get way-above-average service. I got better service than that on my 13 year old Whirlpool range. And I won't soon be replacing it with anything from Capital. Good luck to you. But you shouldn't need it :-)
    ...See More

Capital Hood for a Capital Range?

Q

Comments (3)
    Try to look at a Capital hood before you buy one. The interior geometry is shallow and the styling of the lamps is high key. It's the first thing people will see in your kitchen. I believe that steeply angled baffles exhaust the smoke with less airflow than a flat underside. If you get a 54" hood with 1200cfm airflow the velocity will be low and drafts may blow the plume away from the hood. The dealer that sold me a 24" BS stove had a Capital 24" hood with built in blower for sale for $285. A customer had canceled an order and the dealer couldn't return it. I decided to buy a 30" BS hood for $1400 plus a BS roof blower for $750. I never heard the Capital blower but the looks alone dissuaded me. Early in the renovation I visited a local Ferguson's which has several installed high end hoods with built in blowers. I remember Miele, Wolf, maybe Viking and DCS. They all sounded wretched. Tinny, buzzy and shrill. That taught me that I would be getting a roof blower to get it out of the house. Unless you installation is simpler than mine your total cost will be several times the price of the hood so I'd choose carefully.
    ...See More

Capital Stove - Poor Service

Q

Comments (11)
    By Contrast - I also purchased a 54" VAH exhaust. When the contractor went to install it, it was missing the exhaust transition that was supposed to be shipped with it. I called today and they are overnighting the part as soon as possible so that we are minimally impacted. That is the difference between knowing the value of customer support and doing whatever it takes to solve the problem. Oh and by the way this was the regional distributor dealing with this issue not even the coroporate office. I guess they have the entire supply chain on board to make sure they support their products. Very disappointed in Capital. I will try to reach out to them again.
    ...See More

48' AG American Range vs. Capital Range

Q

Comments (6)
    (Sorry, OP, this is off-topic, but feel I should respond to that last post...) Sorry to disagree, deeageaux. I've been cooking on my NXR for 16 months and am VERY happy with it. I shopped around and looked at all the ranges with high BTU burners between $1800-$3000. For the money, I love my NXR. Now, don't get me started on the fancy Bosch dishwasher: ugh!!!
    ...See More
  • rococogurl
    9 years ago

This is nothing new -- there are many threads with chronic complaints. There's a dealer who has posted here who helped them develop that range and seems to be one of the few people who can get results. Perhaps he will give you a hand. Good luck to you.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    9 years ago

If you want your range fixing let me know who you are by phone or email.

• applnut
    9 years ago

I, too, would encourage you to share your experience here, as I think that best allows both feedback and potential help for you, and a reference point for potential purchasers. You're not the only Capital owner I've seen here with service complaints and it's always good, I think, to compare experiences to see how and if they're similar. For instance, if there's a inherent problem problem, like the Bluestar sticking door issue and Wolf porcelain flaking.

I don't own a Capital, by the way, but have always been impressed by the specs and have often thought I might turn to them when I eventually replace the range I have now. Having already been wooed by a niche range that turned out to have issues galore, worsened by poor manufacturer service, I'm not so sure I would want to go that route again if Capital has many of the same quality and service problems.

This post was edited by applnut on Sat, May 24, 14 at 13:32

• deeageaux
    9 years ago

No need to be coy.

Post the problem and whatever resolution is offered.

BTW Very happy with my Culinarian 2 years into ownership.

• willinak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, it's not about being coy, I just don't like to read manufacturer bashing per se, and my issues probably would be perceived as such.
    However given the interest, here is a synopsis of my saga thus far:
    I ordered the range from an appliance dealer on the east coast. The model was a GSCR305LP, which is a 30" LP (propane) all gas 5 burner range. The specs are, as someone said very good.
    It arrived very well packaged and undamaged. I checked the Mfg plate and registered the s/n with Capital. After it was installed, we turned on a burner and whoosh...a very large yellow flame emerged. I discovered that ALL burners, including the oven (flames were coming out the vent holes in the bottom) were obviously not the right fuel/air mix. Called Capital, they had a "repairman" show up a few days later (good so far). "Repairman" deduced that the regulator was either bad or a natural gas unit, so he asked Capital to send a correct LP regulator. Capital sent a regulator via UPS ground. 7 days later it arrived and and a day later the "repairman" arrived to with his 2 pipe wrenches and pliers to perform the regulatorectomy. I don't know if any of you have looked under the front cover of the range, but is complex and tight....not to be attacked with a couple of pipe wrenches. Well, the surgery was not successful. The flame characteristic was not changed, the regulator did not end up in it's original position, and there is an occasional gas odor detected. Another call to Capital by the repairman ended with them agreeing that the range was never set up for LP, so all the burners would need different orifices.
    I heard nothing for about 4 days, and finally called Capital for an update, and to request a different repairman. The short answer is they would send out the orifices that day, but only by ground (7 days), and they would not employ a different repairman.
    The saga has been going on about 6 weeks now, and we have been without a range during that time, and they show little concern or effort to rectify their mistake in an expeditious manner. Again, this was no fault of the seller, or me, but we are the victims in this case. The range was never set up for LP to begin with.
    At this point, I have little confidence that the designated "repairman" will be successful at setting this up correctly, with good low heat control, and proper flame characteristics on all burners, at least that's the experience so far.

My frustration with Capital is intense and I'm not sure what to do at this point. If they wouldn't spring for 2 day air, to get the parts to me semi-quick, then if I had a major issue, ie expensive, what do you think their reaction would be? Right now they have a "no confidence" vote from me.

• mpatel1080
    9 years ago

This is exactly why sub zero and wolf are the de facto standard for high end appliances. They may not be the highest performing in every aspect but they know how to make sure that their customers are completely satisfied.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Will inka,
    Can you return the unit? Did you pay with a credit card? If so, I would start the dispute process to get a refund. The smell of gas is dangerous and I would turn off the gas supply to the unit. Being without a cooking appliance for 6weeks is excessive.
    I hope you find a good resolution.
    Homepro01

• Heidi1961
    9 years ago

Good luck if you try to return the unit.
    I had 2 Culinarians, both with problems. It took Capital 7 months to pick them both up. I had to provide the labor for removing the units from my house, packing them, and loading them onto the truck.
    I am still waiting for a refund.

• PRO
    9 years ago

You should involve the retailer. They might be able to assist in faster service or changing the unit out for another one.

Sounds to me like the retailer may have mistakenly ordered the wrong gas type or the distributor shipped the wrong gas type. Most if not all capital ranges are made set for Nat gas or LP Gas.

What really annoys me is that Capital will not expedite parts via Fedex or UPS they always use ground shipping, which only serves to extend service times. In my mind this is penny wise pound foolish. Especially when the first fix failed.

I think in this case capital service responded to the problem ...OK, but lost over two weeks in shipping small parts by ground

• willinak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Trevor, you're right on target, they did respond at first, they just dropped the ball with shipping, and also by sticking with the "low bid" repairman. I say "low bid" because 1) that's his moniker and 2) he showed up without the proper tools to do the job (I had to let him use mine). It's really a shame because it's such a nice unit.
    The retailer ordered an LP range, we both thought that's what we were getting. That's why I said "we're both suffering from the mistake from Capital".

Heidi, THAT is a scary story.

Thanks for the advice from everyone.

• willinak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Trevor, you're right on target, they did respond at first, they just dropped the ball with shipping, and also by sticking with the "low bid" repairman. I say "low bid" because 1) that's his moniker and 2) he showed up without the proper tools to do the job (I had to let him use mine). It's really a shame because it's such a nice unit.
    The retailer ordered an LP range, we both thought that's what we were getting. That's why I said "we're both suffering from the mistake from Capital".

Heidi, THAT is a scary story.

Thanks for the advice from everyone.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Just so blame is laid at the right door. Your retailer did not order the range from Capital, the range would have been ordered from The East Coast Distributor, Capital does not take orders direct from retailers.

The above statement is not to defend Capital but to apportion blame correctly.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Seems to me the poster would like to focus on service and proper repair, not appliance world blame.

And perhaps some examination of a serial number -- or some factual indicator -- would settle the issue of whether it is or is not the range ordered.

Then the issue is the most expeditious way to get it fixed or replaced.

Many here regularly speak up for, and defend, Capital and recommended it highly. Shame that the company is letting its owners down in this way and undermining its general good will and reputation.

If this keeps up there will be fewer independently made products. There will be Wolf and the imports.

Amazing how we don't have this type of post/complaint with Lacanche but we see them too often with Capital, Bluestar and others.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Tue, May 27, 14 at 20:08

• dodge59
    9 years ago

"Amazing how we don't have this type of post/complaint with Lacanche but we see them too often with Capital, Bluestar and others."

I agree with you, rococogirl, it is "Amazing" that we only See "Positive Reviews" of Lacanche, here in Garden Web.
    (Are we a "Blessed Group")~~~~~Ya thinks?

I would invite you to google Lacanche Reviews.
    There were more 1 star reviews, (17) than any other number (out of 35 reviews or so).

Another site had 3 reviews, 2 of the reviews were 1 star, the other was a 2 star.

As with Consumer Reports, Garden Web is just once source of info, and "May Not Always" reflect the true scenario of what is currently being experienced by buyers of appliances.

A perfect example being the Miele Speed Oven, tons of positive reviews here in Garden Web,
    (in fact I can't recall a negative review here in GW),~but~~~
    read elsewhere, (Google Miele Speed Oven reviews), and like the Lacanche, there's plenty of negative ones to go around!

I had found the same to be true for SZ/Wolf, Miele Ovens, Gaggenau~~~~~You name it!
    (More "Optimistic Reviews), here in GW, compared to elsewhere.

So unfortunately there is "Not just once Source of info" that you need in making wise appliance decisions, and like the appliances, You havta "Shop Around" for the "Total Picture" and then make your "Best Guess" based on the inputs/reviews that you read.

Gary

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Well said Gary.

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

As an epidemiologist, one thing that drives me nuts about forums and reviews is that there is no denominator. I saw some article that there were 15k or 17k (can't remember) Lacanche ranges in the UK - no wonder there are bad reviews! How many Blue Star ranges have been sold in the USA and how many have bad reviews over what time period, please? I would love an incidence or even a prevalence of problems with a given range. It would really give consumers a more balanced perspective. Alas, we just have our biased sample....;)

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Thanks, Rococogurl.

Good point, ChristyMcK.

I have always wished we could find sales numbers for the appliances, but (so far), I have not.

With sales numbers, we could get an idea or a rough percentage of the failures of X or Y appliance.

Right now we just have to make our best guess as to X or Y appliance sales, (taking into account how many stores sell them, the price, etc, and then look at reviews and make our "Best Guess" as to whether the number of negative reviews are really that meaningful, (taking into account or best guess as to how many are sold, as well ar remembering, folks, (except in Garden Web), are more likely to post a negative review than a positive one~~~if all is well, most folks probably just keep quiet and use the appliance~~~~~Ya thinks?

Gary

• Heidi1961
    9 years ago

Customer service starts with the retailer, Trevor.
    You were the one from whom I bought my Culinarian.
    You were the one who said my problems were "non issues."
    You are the one who cashed my check and as such, you are the one to whom I am looking for my refund.

Or is this another "non issue"?

• tinyhomebuilder
    9 years ago

rococogurl writes:

"Amazing how we don't have this type of post/complaint with Lacanche but we see them too often with Capital, Bluestar and others."

That's impossible to know for sure when the sizes of the sampled pools are unknown. Even with that limitation, we accessed the helpful anecdotal information posted by the good folks here in this forum to help us to decide what to get.

We had a problem out of the box with our propane BlueStar purchased from an East Coast seller (Curto's).

The oven failed during the initial burn in. I'd never let any "repair technician" touch our stove. So I identified the failed component (dual thermovalve), diagnosed the cause of the failure (grounded wire), and repaired the wire. When I let the BlueStar service person know of our situation, they promptly shipped the replacement part, I installed it, and the stove now works ~perfectly~. : )

The customer service we got from BlueStar (as well as Curto's) was absolutely top notch. They were attentive, communicative, responsive, and friendly... so the situation was quickly and easily resolved.

Nothing in this world is perfect, including high end appliances, and there is always a potential for error. In situations like this, instead of regarding the manufacturer or the seller as adversaries, I treat them as friends so we can work together as a team to resolve any problems...

...and we're now living happily ever after with our BlueStar. : )

• Heidi1961
    9 years ago

Well, Tinyhomebuilder, we, too, tried that approach.
    Capital had no service technicians near Indianapolis.
    We are do-it-ourselfers and initially did not mind doing the work.
    They sent me orifices, a new fan cover, a new griddle, manifolds. We rebuilt the stove ourselves. It did not fix the problems. I insisted on a replacement stove. Kept insisting until they finally sent one.
    It, too, was defective. We were no longer willing to save them hundreds of dollars in labor and no longer willing to monkey around with crap appliances.
    We tried. They didn't.

• wekick
    9 years ago

"Posted by tinyhomebuilder
    The oven failed during the initial burn in. I'd never let any "repair technician" touch our stove. So I identified the failed component (dual thermovalve), diagnosed the cause of the failure (grounded wire), and repaired the wire. When I let the BlueStar service person know of our situation, they promptly shipped the replacement part, I installed it, and the stove now works ~perfectly~
    The customer service we got from BlueStar (as well as Curto's) was absolutely top notch. They were attentive, communicative, responsive, and friendly... so the situation was quickly and easily resolved."

Most people can't do this. You really didn't use their service as most people would.

"instead of regarding the manufacturer or the seller as adversaries, I treat them as friends so we can work together as a team to resolve any problems..."

Friendship is a reciprocal relationship. It becomes adversarial when they don't live up to their side of the bargain.. : )

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

tinyhomebuilder - GW isn't what it was in 2003 when I first went through the google rabbit hole and landed here. It's changed hands and demographics. And they delete threads so it's impossible to research many things.

But a few things have remained very constant, though certainly unscientific, over that time: Bluestar complaints (doors, igniters), Viking complaints, the Culinarian birth & subsequent complaint saga, the Wolf oven enamel chipping off.

Those are in clear contrast over time to Lacanche, Electrolux, SZ and Gaggenau love or lack of complaints. The disdain for La Cornue and dismissal of Aga, and the adoration for Molteni even though no one has ever posted long term experience with the range.

Since there is no one place online (at least not one I know) that can provide a definitive measure or scientific sampling -- not even CR -- GW provides a creditable snapshot. Over time it's conventional wisdom, of course, yet IME it's been reliable. The only other site I've found with similar info (though nowhere near as much) is Chowhound. Perhaps there are others which have escaped notice.

Before I purchased appliances for my first reno, which brought me to GW, I read about the Viking issues. I purchased them anyway figuring that the negative posts were a small sampling that wouldn't apply to me. I'm still paying for it a decade later.

Some of us are not DIY genuises who can take a range apart and put it back together. No issue -- we do other things. But there's a point at which life is too short, or the dog just won't hunt.

I feel for Heidi1961 & others. Been there. But when a change was made the problems went away.

• User
    9 years ago

Tinyhomebuilder - I gotta ask, how on earth did you "identify the failed component (dual thermovalve)"? I do not even know what a dual thermovalve is, much less be able to diagnose its failure. I too would be self-congratulatory if I could do that. But it is unrealistic to use your technical abilities as the yardstick to judge other consumers' interaction with appliance manufacturers.

I have a 10-year-old white range, not powerful, not pretty, but has not given me one bit of trouble in 10 years (the oven's ignitor was replaced once which I look upon as similar to replacing tires on a car; they are expected to wear out with use, and once in 10 years is pretty good). The oven's temps are spot-on, the burners ignite instantly without clicking, the interior has never chipped or warped, the oven door does not get hot, and, after having been open and closed thousands of times over 10 years, the door still operates like the day it was installed. I am afraid to replace this dated range with a new range for my new kitchen, as ranges today seem to be problematic, and the more expensive ones, even moreso. The OP's story and Heidi's story illustrate this, and there have been so many other similar stories on the GW. I see these ranges as very expensive, superficially impressive, but underneath junkily made, with poor customer service. I will probably end up with a moderate GE or similar. Even if it ends up with problems, I won't have spent such huge sums on it, and have the resentful feeling that the manufacturer is laughing all the way to the bank.

This post was edited by Sahmmy on Wed, May 28, 14 at 8:28

• tinyhomebuilder
    9 years ago

Sahmmy writes:

"Tinyhomebuilder - I gotta ask, how on earth did you "identify the failed component (dual thermovalve)"? I do not even know what a dual thermovalve is, much less be able to diagnose its failure. I too would be self-congratulatory if I could do that. But it is unrealistic to use your technical abilities as the yardstick to judge other consumers' interaction with appliance manufacturers."

I'm a self-taught electrician with no schooling, and my job is mostly troubleshooting, fault diagnosis, and failed component forensics, because not only do I want to know what happened, I also want to know why it happened so that it doesn't happen again.

And to be honest, I didn't know what to call that part either. I just knew that it didn't work because the gas in the oven didn't turn on.

High end stoves aren't rocket science, especially a simple, robust, blissfully computer free BlueStar. They're just really pretty metal boxes with parts inside of them. And the parts are all connected to each other with gas tubing and wires.

The symptoms were when the oven knob was turned on, I could hear a click, and the glowplug would get hot to ignite the gas, but there was no gas flowing to the oven burner, yet when the knob was turned all the way to the broiler position, the broiler would light up normally. (wow...what a sound... like activating an unlicensed nuclear particle accelerator in the movie Ghostbusters ; )

So I simply followed the tubing from the oven burner that didn't get gas backwards to the next part which was the valve. The valve had two pairs of wires going to it and three gas tubes, one of which went to the oven burner and one which went to the broiler, which, by default, made the third "gas in".

So I described the non operating part to BlueStar, they told me what to call it, promptly sent me one, and I popped it in with a screwdriver and a couple of crescent wrenches.

The cause of the component failure was obvious. Upon assembly, a bundle of four of wires had become pinned between two pieces of sheet metal, and one of them was impinged upon enough just to ~barely~ pierce the insulation enough to ground the wire to the metal.

This is what caused the half of the dual valve which supplies gas to the oven burner to fail.

So it was a simple matter of unpinning the wires and applying a dab of liquid insulation. Little things like this can happen even in the most expensive of appliances.

I can fully understand how helplessness can breed frustration and resentment directed towards product manufacturers as if they're the enemy, when in reality they're people just like us who can make mistakes just like we do. So troubleshooting the situation I just described, the cause is obvious:

~Helplessness.~

When stoves are assembled, they're designed to assemble easily to conserve labor costs. This means that they also UNassemble easily. Our BlueStar basically comes apart just with a simple #2 Phillips screwdriver. So all that was needed to find out exactly what went wrong was a screwdriver and a pair of eyes... or even just one eye for that matter! (lol)

So my suggestion for fixing the problem of frustration and resentment at appliance manufacturers is to teach yourself how not to be helpless. : )

• applnut
    9 years ago

There are lots of things I can do myself better than anyone can for me. I would venture these things are different than the things "tiny homebuilder," or anyone else, might do better than others. That's good, because no one can do everything well and I am paid for expertise in my field, while others are paid for their differing knowledge as well. Likewise, I'm good at the hobbies I, personally, find interesting and valuable, while others have a whole different idea of what's fun and important for them. That doesn't make me, or anyone else, "helpless," just because we can't disassemble and repair our own appliances. Likewise, it doesn't make anyone "helpless" if you can't/don't write your own computer software, make your own clothing, grow your own food, build your own house, repair your own car, draw up your own legal documents, produce your own television, diagnose and treat your own illnesses, etc., etc.

Basically, great for "tiny homebuilder" that you were able to do that. (No sarcasm intended.) But, to not acknowledge that most don't buy a $5,000 range expecting, and enjoying, a do-it-yourself project is pretty narrow minded. We majority, foolishly perhaps, expect the product to work as advertised and promised and, if it does not, for the people whom we bought it from to take care of it promptly, professionally and, ideally, as permanently as possible: manufacturer, distributor, retailer, whomever ... I've yet to meet a customer who gives a tinker's darn about who, specifically, is to "blame," we just want what we bought to work, correctly, sooner rather than later, please.

Getting what you paid for should never be too much to ask for.

• applnut
    9 years ago

And to the OP ...

It does sound as if you have the wrong stove, as in a natural gas vs an LP unit. I don't know if you'll have any luck, but if I was you I'd do my darndest to hold out and get the range I ordered in the correct configuration, rather than going down an endless path of repair and fingers crossed. Messing with gas is no minor issue and a factory conversation vs an in-home mod that is apparently being done in fits and starts can't seem to compare.

If you, hopefully, have documentation that you ordered an LP range and that was not what Capital delivered, shame on them for not immediately replacing it once the error was discovered. No matter where the miscommunication occurred in the retail chain.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Gary, re: your point about trying to get failure rate from sales numbers, there is an appliance store near me (Yale Appliance in Boston) that is trying to do just that. Since they also have a service department, they'll be the ones doing warranty work on everything purchased through them, and their software reports failure rate by brand. I don't remember all their findings, but they found the industry average to be around 20%. Some more repair-prone brands were up around 50-60%. I do remember that the least repaired brands were Gaggenau and Miele at around 3% each. At one point they themselves admitted these statistics were limited because the software was not yet capable of breaking down by type of appliance (and we all know that different brands are better at different appliances). Still, the stats were interesting. If you're curious you can look up their website and see for yourself.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Wed, May 28, 14 at 17:35

• tinyhomebuilder
    9 years ago

applnut writes:

"But, to not acknowledge that most don't buy a $5,000 range expecting, and enjoying, a do-it-yourself project is pretty narrow minded."

My remarks were not actually addressing the situations where we get what we expect, because nothing needs to be done about those except to enjoy them for the (relatively rare)experience that they are.

I was instead suggesting just one alternative approach for when we ~don't~ get what we expect... because life is usually more like that. ; )

• tinyhomebuilder
    9 years ago

rococogurl writes:

"tinyhomebuilder - GW isn't what it was in 2003 when I first went through the google rabbit hole and landed here. It's changed hands and demographics. And they delete threads so it's impossible to research many things.
    But a few things have remained very constant, though certainly unscientific, over that time: Bluestar complaints (doors, igniters), Viking complaints, the Culinarian birth & subsequent complaint saga, the Wolf oven enamel chipping off.

Thanks for your long term perspective.
    I do appreciate that. : )

Even in just a few months here, I got enough "stove education" to make an informed buying decision.
    I took to heart every BlueStar issue, and noted that they tended to be on older stoves which had been corrected in newer models. I really like that kind of learning curve because it is that evolutionary process which drives product improvements.

Our stove came with two spare ignitors included, and I purposefully ~torched~ the oven and experienced no abnormal door heat issues whatsoever. Sometimes large corporations can be like cruise ships that take a long time to change course.... whereas the smaller boats can turn quicker.

This post was edited by tinyhomebuilder on Wed, May 28, 14 at 19:16

• tinyhomebuilder
    9 years ago

wekick writes:
    Most people can't do this. You really didn't use their service as most people would.

Well, I believe that most people can at least take some actions on their own to mitigate the need for the company's service personnel. The example I described only involved rudimentary skill with a screwdriver, a couple of small wrenches, and some basic logical observation, which can be invaluable for so many other of life's situations.

And I have ~zero~ confidence in "service technicians". That's why I do whatever I can to navigate around that rock instead of ramming into it at full speed.

"Friendship is a reciprocal relationship. It becomes adversarial when they don't live up to their side of the bargain.. : )

It can go that way...

My approach is to do whatever I can on my part to defuse that potential emotional bomb by taking the situation into my own hands. That way allows the opportunity to relate to the stove company people as a peer instead of a victim.

• willinak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, this thread ha taken a life of it's own...like a mutant virus! ;-) That said, it has opened my eyes to possibilities and directions that things can go.

Trevor, you are again correct...the range can be configured by the distributor, and the folks at Capital alluded to that being the issue. I suspect the "East Coast Distributor" whoever that is, will have no part in this problem resolution though. :-(

Applnut -
    "And to the OP ...
    It does sound as if you have the wrong stove, as in a natural gas vs an LP unit. I don't know if you'll have any luck, but if I was you I'd do my darndest to hold out and get the range I ordered in the correct configuration, rather than going down an endless path of repair and fingers crossed."

The "repairman" will be coming out today with a fist full of orifices and his pipe wrench to break the beast down and tame the flame. And yes I have all appendages crossed.

Thanks again to ALL responders to the triage tent. At least I have more provisions to extend the battle another day.

• willinak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The good news...all 7 jets were replaced and all burner flames look good, with just a tinge of yellow. That's a lot of BTU's in a 30" range. Took roughly 3 hours. So at this point, and it's quite early in it's life, I'm pleased with the features of this range and at least now I can use it and see how it performs in real life.

• willinak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The bad news is that there are some deep scratches in the wood floor from pulling the unit out. :-( I don't know who to respond to with this, although I'm sure it's Capital because they hired the "repairman". I'm also not sure if the gas leak is fixed, but I can't detect anything so far. When I asked him about potential leaks he said "I used plenty of pipe dope", and he did, even on the compression fittings! :-)

Thanks again for all the comments.

• PRO
    9 years ago

I would report the scratch to Capital today and demand they or the repair guy make this good financially or visibly.

All repair companies are or should be insured of in home damage which this is in my mind.

• mpatel1080
    9 years ago

It seems as if most of your problems stem from a less than stellar service company. Hopefully your range functions as it should for a long time, and they do the right thing in regards to your floor.

• JACKSTER19
    9 years ago

may I ask what model you bought? Capital GSCR305N - Precision Series - Gas 30 " - is there a specific model that everyone is having issue with - is it only the propane or all models? thanks.

• willinak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

JACKSTER, It's a GSCR305LP, which is a 30" LP (propane) all gas 5 burner range/
    My impression at this point is that it's a very good quality range.
    My problems stemmed from the fact that it was never converted to LP, most likely from the distributor, not Capital or the seller. The problem was exacerbated because Capital didn't have a good repairman on contract.
    Would I buy another Capital? Yes, provided I knew there was good product support on contract.

• PRO
    9 years ago

JACKSTER19.... The GSCR is generally a stable line, I think its fair to say the problems the OP had was an exception to the rule.

All range should be ordered by the retailer for the correct gas type, The distributor should not have too do a conversion. The only time I have ranges converted by the distributor is if the customer is in a hurry and no ranges of the correct gas type are avaialble.

• tinyhomebuilder
    9 years ago

willinak writes:
    "The bad news is that there are some deep scratches in the wood floor from pulling the unit out."

Yikes... check the bottoms of the legs on your stove to see if there are any missing parts.

My BlueStar has teflon pads on the bottoms of the legs. So even at 300 pounds it glides around pretty easy without scratching.

• tyguy
    9 years ago

My 48 inch (very heavy!) blue star left very small scratches when I moved it in. I don't think my circa 2008 unit had Teflon pads, they were rubber pads, but I did install the Teflon pads myself. Luckily they are not very deep scratches on mine plus there will always be a rug in front of the range anyway. But of course I found out AFTER the fact that bs sells castors. If/when I move the range out for what ever reason I will likely buy and install castors before moving the unit back in.

• willinak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The one leg pad looks like it was damaged at some point. I have since placed a plastic bottle lid over it, and that should prevent future gouging. None of this could be pinned on Capital directly, but indirectly yes, because they contracted with a negligent firm.

The irony of this is I just had a GE dishwasher installed an hour earlier by a GE contract firm. They went to great lengths to make sure there was no scratching on anything.... very professional. They do all of Home Depot local installations....go figure.

• Cooker123
    9 years ago

I too have had numerous issues with my range, with no help from costumer service. I just emailed them again, they never responded to my July email, and it bounced back. And their whole site is gone. http://www.capital-cooking.com/

I googled them further in news, etc, and don't see anything. Does anyone know what may be going on?

• PRO
    9 years ago

Maybe you could call them. (866) 402-4600

I called them this morning with no problems.....

• willinak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a follow-up....Capital told me to take a flying leap. They disavowed any responsibility with regard to the floor damage caused by the repairman they hired. I'm not the litigious type, so they win.
    I like the range now that it's been converted to LP, but really disappointed with their customer service.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

That stinks, but I'm not really surprised. It sounds like the repairman was not directly employed by Capital. If I were Capital I would not have compensated you either, but I would have at least helped you get compensation from the repairman. I would definitely contact the repairman's employer directly, though I think you would have had more leverage had you done that in June instead of just contacting Capital.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 18:19

• Ash Patel
    9 years ago

I had sent Capital a half dozen emails regarding a gas leak. They NEVER responded. This was over 12 months while still under warranty. Finally Trevor got wind of this and lost it. He called on a service company to take one for the team and help me out. All this time capital NEVER responded. They have also promised things and later rescinded. all documented.