SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannonplus2_gw

Induction Cooktop ''Too Much'' for 84 y.o. Mom?

shannonplus2
14 years ago

First, some background: my 84 y.o. mom moved to Florida a few years ago, from the house she'd lived in for 50 years. That house had a gas cooktop. Where she lives now in Florida has no gas, so she has a Thermador 36" electric cooktop. She has not yet gotten used to cooking on electric, and says she "hates it". Mostly because she gets frustrated that response time of the electric burners is too slow, both in getting hot, and in turning down the heat. She finds herself moving pans from burner to burner to cook things properly. I had thought she'd get used to electric, but she hasn't. Every time I visit her, she mentions how she cooked on gas for 50 years, and how much she now dislikes cooking on electric.

So I was thinking of replacing her electric cooktop with an induction cooktop. Just let's set aside the cost issue for this discussion. What I am concerned about is that I understand that induction is so fast that we'll have the opposite problem of the electric. My mom, though sharp as a tack, and no health problems, moves slowly. For example, when she boils water for tea, the whistle is going for a while before she actually gets over there to get the kettle. I think I would also need to make sure to get the induction cooktop that comes with timers for each burner. And finally, will the cutout for the Thermador 36" electric cooktop fit an induction--will they be the same size, or do I need to have the counter altered in some way?

So, let's discuss. Is induction appropriate and easy for senior citizens? Or is induction not a good idea in this situation?

Comments (18)