SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_d_r

underlayment for tile floor-stupid question but I'm freaking out!

amy_d-r
16 years ago

Sorry to ask a dumb question--I've researched and think I know what to do but I just want to double-check. I've been freaking out a little about this and it's been hard to get a straightforward answer from a reliable source. I've been hanging out in this forum for a year now and trust you so here it goes...

So, our bathroom is gutted down to the joists and my husband just put in the first layer of plywood subfloor. It is only 1/2 inch thick.

This seems too thin for a first layer, but as far as I can figure out, it'll be ok if we add another layer that is 5/8 in thick, screwed into the first layer only (not the joists) and not glued down.

Then, we need to add a layer of cement board using thinset, and this screws into the 2nd layer of wood about 8 inches apart. Then this dries and we can tile.

I had really wanted to use Ditra (our shower is Kerdi everything) but we are so overbudget and my other half vetoed it. He's also never heard of thinsetting under the cement board (he's tiled before and it had just been screwed down.) Am I wrong about this?

Am I missing anything else? If my "research" screws us up more than his diving in without knowing anything, I'll never hear the end of it :).

Also, just out of curiousity, would we have been able to just do one layer of 3/4 in plywood on the joists, then Ditra, then tile? If we had gone with this I think our floor would've ended up flush with the hall, but it's too late now (sigh)...

Comments (3)