SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gingersnaps17

Freaking out 'Bout Grout!

Gingersnaps17
10 years ago

Hi, everyone
In the process of getting my bathroom redone. Total floor space (outside shower) is about 3' x 5'. I picked a16 x16 beige porcelain tile that looks like stone. Diamond set. Anyway, I went back to my house to check on the progress and the tiler asked me what width I wanted the grout be for the wall tile. (I told him 1/8", after consulting with my designer.) But then he told me that the floor (which was completed without my being there) was 1/4" grout. When I looked at it, it didn't look bad to me (the color of the grout is close to that of the beige tile, not white).

But NOW I'm reading on various sites that 1/4" is ridiculously HUGE! When I pointed it out to the contractor, I was told that 1/4" is "standard" for floor grout and now it's too late to do anything about it. Do you think I should just accept it as is (as I said, it didn't jump out at me as glaring when I first looked at it) OR do you think I should make them redo it? Admittedly, I should have given them the directions before they started, but I'm a novice, and it didn't dawn on me. And they never asked. Sigh. Live and learn�

P.S. Next time I'm back in my house, I will take a pic.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals