SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwillie_gw

anyone freaking out/cutting back mid build ?

sweetwillie
15 years ago

We started our build in July before the economic "sky fell". Before all of this we were either upgrading everything or everything was just costing more than we thought. Not what we wanted to spend but we can afford it and you only do this once right ? We are now at the drywall stage and its time to make some decisions such as countertops and flooring. There are obviously some big swings (carpet vs hardwood, granite vs laminate,etc).

While we can currently "still afford" to get the house we want I have this weird freaked out feeling in my stomach saying cut back and downgrade. Can we change carpet to hardwood later or laminate to granite ? Yes. Will it be a pain in the butt ? Yes. Hard to explain the feeling but strangely I even feel a little guilty spending this kind if money will thousands are losing their jobs.

It should probably say Im not one of these guys going deep into debt building a house I cant afford. We saved and planned for years to build this house right. In fact someone asked recently if things were like are now back in July would we still build I would probably still do it. Albeit with a few do overs.

My question is does anyone else feel the way I do ? Anyone feel guilty,scared or trashing their original plans in mid stream because of this environment?

Comments (10)