SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

can we please discuss kerdi vs. alternatives ...AGAIN?

kateskouros
14 years ago

is there an alternative to kerdi that is comparable in perfomance (e.g. longevity, mold, etc.)? i am under the impression that a kerdi install will basically inhibit the growth of any mold; is this true?

and if so, what are the relative total costs (labor & materials)?

this info may be redundant to any of you that have read my previous posts, so sorry about that. ...this is a new build. when i originally spoke to our GC about recessing nooks in our showers he told me he won't do that due to leaks. i then proceeded to tell him it wouldn't happen because i want him to kerdi the showers. he said he didn't know what that was, he'd never heard of it and his way is the BEST way. he's talking about doing a shower pan and fiber glass. i don't know whether he plans to fiber glass the entire shower (do they DO that?) but he swore up and down there was no better way.

i pressed the kerdi issue with him and now he has revised his story to say he CAN do the recessed nooks without having them leak... that was never the problem. he just didn't want to do them because they "look '70s". this guy makes up a story for every day of the week!

my dh is confused and doesn't know who to believe. i also spoke with the local supplier of kerdi and she told me to have the GC call her, that it is basically "idiot proof". some here have suggested if the installer is not familiar with the product then to just let them do it the way they know ...but this goes against the whole argument for the kerdi: that it is "idiot proof" and the perfect project for a DIYer since anyone can successfully do an install.

please help! ...and thank you, again!

Comments (13)