SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carnivore

Capital Culinarian vs GE Cafe? Yes I'm serious

carnivore
12 years ago

Capital Culinarian CGSR304 vs GE Cafe CGS985SETSS

I realize this probably seems like a Toyota-vs-BMW type of comparison but there are reasons I'm considering both 30-inch ranges. There's no doubt the Capital Culinarian is a serious cooking machine with open burners and all around great performance, fit and finish. But I think the GE Cafe seems more versatile.

I have no space for a separate wall oven so the Cafe's auxiliary oven / warming drawer could be especially useful for my situation. The 20k BTU tri-ring burner seems plenty powerful for a wok stir-fry (which I do often), and the Cafe's burner arrangement seems suitable for normal home cooking needs (for example I can't imagine needing all four of the Capital's 23k burners running at full blast at once just to cook ourselves dinner). The GE Cafe also includes temperature probe roasting and a number of other conveniences offered by the digital oven controls which I believe are actually useful in a home kitchen, not just marketing gimmicks.

On the other hand the Capital offers those wonderful 23k BTU open burners, all of which can do everything right down to a great simmer meaning less shuffling cookware around to various different burners for each job. Infrared broiler vs the Cafe's gas broiler. More even heat in the oven (by some accounts)? Rotisserie. Available wok ring which I would get. And all the panache of a high end pro style range for our new kitchen, but at 3x the price of the Cafe.

Like our last car purchase, it might come down to whether to get the BMW that could conceivably go 150-mph down the turnpike, or the Toyota SUV that can transport our pets and building supply purchases, and still get us comfortably enough from point A to point B. Different classes. Luxury vs practicality. Which to choose?

Comments (9)