SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dining_delight

What I've Been Up To...

dining_delight
14 years ago

Since the accident, I haven't had much time for checking in here. There have been so many forms to fill out for insurance, so many thank-you's to write to all those who helped us and I went back to work way too soon! At first, I didn't know I had four fractured ribs so I kind of pushed myself to do more than I probably should have been. Plus, it was my DSiL's 40th bday and since she and my brother were with us when we had our accident and were so supportive, we wanted to give her a bit of a party. I am sharing those pics with you but if you've already seen them on my blog, I apologize for the repetition. Thanks to all of you who have already commented over there. It is great to hear from you and thanks also for your expressions of concern and get-well wishes!

DD

This past weekend, DH and I hosted a 40th birthday party for my dear sister-in-law. The weather was perfect so we decided to have a backyard BBQ for family and friends. In keeping with these fleeting days of summer, I made sure the tablescape reflected a bright colourful setting.

I used Gerbera daisies in yellow, orange and cream along with some green grasses (shhhh....all faux!) in vases I got at a local florists on clearance for $5. Alongside, I used some jars (minus the lids) as candleholders which I scored for$1 each. I put acrylic ice and a glass votive holder inside.My favourite Partylite sunflower tealight holders added some more colour.

I edited this pic to "protect the innocent" but inside two different frames, I placed small pictures of the birthday girl around the "Happy 40th!" These were placed at opposite sides of the table. Beside the frame, I placed a tall glass vase/candle holder with an orange taper dinner candle and sand to anchor it inside.

There were 13 of us in total and I didn't have quite enough of the items in the colours I wanted to use so had to mix/match everything from dishes to placemats to chargers to chairs but since it was a casual affair, I think it was okay. I see in these pics, I had 3 yellow plates together at this end of the table but I did mix those up a bit more before guests arrived!

DH put up the extra canopy over the table but the "cabana" in the background is always there. We had pre-dinner drinks in the cabana and then moved over to the table once the hamburgers and salads were ready.
The food was set up on our small sundeck. We had BBQ'ed hamburgers with fixings as well as some BBQ'ed salmon filets and bratwurst sausages.

Salads were brought "potluck" and were potato, pasta, bean salsa, toasted pecan/balsamic vin., and carrot. There was also some yummy Pesto Pear/Chicken Pizza that a friend brought...must get that recipe!

Having a BBQ is such a "summer-y" thing to do and I'm so glad we were able to celebrate our SIL's birthday with one shared by friends and family. Thanks for stopping by...wish you could have been at the party!

DD

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions