SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie_que12

Welcome to Far-Mart

susie_que
12 years ago

Its a play on my last name LOL!

I haven't been here much lately due to my new job and the graduations and most of my free time is now in the pool.

However I feel its time I can finally come clean about my job situation.

After my job of 22 yrs let me go over a minor infraction, I was told the union would be right there with me to assist in finding me work. HAHA! What a joke! In the back of my mind I said to myself I would be better off if I struck out on my own and so that is what I did.

The very next day, I began the new job search and said to myself that I would take whatever job called first...no matter what and just a few days later I was going for my drug test and orientation!!! At Walmart (yup you heard me right, I said Walmart)

When the phone rang and the caller ID said walmart I almost gagged..walmart, really???

I was offered a position as a floater in apparel, apparel...really?? What do I know about apparel??

I was thinking it must be some sort of cruel joke...but I said I was going to take the first job offer and so I took the job. A few days later I found that Wegmans called me for an interview, well wegmans trumped walmart but after a long interview process, wegmans never called back.

It was Christmas time and I needed a job.

But something really odd happened. I really enjoyed my job!!

I know its walmart but I was actually loving everything about it!! The salary was good, the benefits were good, the people were awsome!! I was also loving my new 10 minute commute, my fewer visits to the gas station, my lack of union dues, city wage tax and bridge tolls.

I was placed in the mens department where my supervisor showed me the ropes. He was a delight to work for.

I learned so much that I was asked to join the team that went to another poorly run location back in Pa and get their department back on track. I worked very closly with some of the best in the company, I learned so much all the while!!

My store manager took notice and on my 3 month review was given all "exceeds expectations" and a merit raise.

I was also asked to transfer to the ladies department.

After my transfer I was promoted to key associate in Ladies!

Being the key associate means I am right under the supervisor. It also means that I am able to supervise in any area of apparel. I will be promoted to supervisor as soon as a position becomes available within my store, or I can go to any other location.

Yesterday I was awarded employee of the month!! WOOT!!

Now....seeing how good walmart is to work at, Frankie was growing concerned that the company he worked his part time job with was not doing too good...stores were closing right and left so he filled out an application at walmart (not my location) and go hired to work in lawn and garden. He is loving it and he quit Pathmark.

At PM he would work 2 days a week. At WM he works 5-6 nights. He is busy and he loves it!

Now the plan is he only has a few more yrs with the post office so when he retires he'll keep walmart and maybe even transfer to my store.

SO...seeing as Amy has graduated from college and moved back home with us, she thought well what the heck. While waiting for her big girl job she would much rather work closer to home so she too applied at Walmart and got hired at MY LOCATION!!! And get this....she is in apparel!!

She is in infants and I am in ladies.

WE have a blast together, seriously we laugh almost all night!!

She is doing so well that her and I just went to another location this week to assist with their inventory

Her chosen career is in business and marketing but while she puts out dozens of apps a day, she is enjoying workin at walmart and even said "who knows....maybe its meant to be that I just move up within wally world."

Bet you're all wondering about Drew. You know after I got the job at WM, it became very difficult to get him to work back at acme in the city. So in April he gave his notice and started filling out apps over here. WM here does not hire students so that was out. I just told him to concentrate on his grades and being a senior.

A few days before he graduated I was talkin to another supervisor about Amy and Drew and he told Drew to fill out an app at WM. So he did and now he is working at the Walmart Deli/hot foods/bakery dept!!

So thats me, Amy and Drew at Deptford West and Frankie at Cinniminson (but he plans to transfer to west sooner than later LOL).

I know some here may be shocked. I mean come on, Walmart??

But after being there for the better part of a year I have to say I am proud to work there.

Now as for my old job, well I decided not to tell my former co workers where I work, therefore you will never see me post my employer on FaceBook.

There was a rumor goin around that I did work at WM and I started to get harrassed via FB so I blocked those involved LOL!! Really are we in 4th grade with the name calling??

(oh I forgot to mention that I also did a cooking demo a few weeks ago LOL....I had a blast!!)

So thats what I've been up to!!

Cheers!

Susie

Comments (37)

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I know lots of people that work at coporate Walmart and love it. Maybe you daughter will just move to NW Arkansas for a really good job since she has the education for it.

I live in Oklahoma, but a lady in my neighborhood has been driving to Arkansas for work at WM for years.

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

Susie, congratulations for working in a place you love! I don't go to Walmart for personal reasons, but love reading about people who find a place that treats them well and love what they are doing!

• Related Discussions

Fukien Tea from Wal-Mart

Q

Comments (2)
    it is about a foot tall right now, i have thought of doing a Literati style with it, but i kind of want to do an informal upright, and in order to do that i would need to take off a lot of the length that it has right now, the most interesting part of the trunk which is below the red line in the last picture i will be incorporating into the future design, what i want eventually to happen is to bring the apex back to the center and have kind of a hang over effect with the trunk so it hangs over the side but then comes back in, giving off the feeling of being risky or close to danger. right now its not doing so well, last week i left it outside all day and i think the leaves got too much sun and they all fell off, so i am just waiting and hoping they grow back, all the bark is still green so my hopes are pretty good. and i learned my lesson to not leave it outside more than 1 hour in direct sunlight!!
    ...See More

Wal-Mart

Q

Comments (12)
    Funny how different the walmarts can be. In south OC, they have some fancy ones. No Mc. Donald's in thoes. It feels just like a Target store. They have some things you won't find in the lower rent area walmarts. Another Walmart in a higher priced area in North OC has a beautiful garden department and the store always looks perfectly clean and well stocked. In a lower income area just 15 minutes away by freeway, the kids run wild, aisles are a mess. Shoppers crash you with their carts and the sales people look as though they're on their last nerve. It just depends on which walmart you go to.
    ...See More

K-Mart in Peoria,IL has Moonlight Magic

Q

Comments (41)
    Dana - I have swollen buds also on MM. I was worried cuz the roots were so short. The other Peaces have some some big swollen buds also. I have about 40 roses arriving next month plus some other perennials. I'm planting a hillside so DH doesn't have to mow there. I'm lucky; have 2.5 acres...lots of room. I am getting Country Dancer also along with some other great Bucks. Yesterday was great outside - 69 degrees!; cut down all my clematis and cleaned out some hydrangea beds. Now talking snow again tonight and tomorrow. What a tease! Also forgot ...have lots of clematis to offer also. They can be white or purple..they spring up all over the place. -t
    ...See More

super tech synthetic oil at WalMart

Q

Comments (5)
    This is my opinion others may disagree?!. Wally get alot or rap, but it's been american way for quit sometime. all started back in the 60's an maybe earlier to prop up the bottom line and CEO's get there outrageous bonus. AT What cost? american jobs, this really came to light in the middle 60's when you started seeing metric hardware showing up on american made cars. Spread like wild fire AMerican companies taught them, trained them, just for cheap or slave labor, and even the government encoured or paid big manufacturing companies to go overseas. Kmart was no different. They all ran mom and pop out around the corner in small towns or large with these hugh stores they had to compete with. and will be the down fall to this country. Just like when I read about the rifle that goes off when you bump it. Designer has 4 cent fix back in 1959, but that ran into the profit margain and the company didn't go with it. and just think how many people died for 4 cent fix.
    ...See More
  • John Liu
    12 years ago

What's wrong with working at Wal-Mart? I must have missed that memo. Glad you are doing well.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Yay, Susie. Nothing wrong with Walmart at all. Any good, honest job is worth feeling good about. Congrats to the EOTM. Do you get the best parking space for a month??

• User
    12 years ago

Good for you and your family Susie.

Personally, I've never understood why people take a stand about shopping at Walmart. It is a store for god sakes. If they have what you want shop there, if they don't go elsewhere.

Obviously, Walmart has been great for your family. I'm glad you are happy in your new job.

Ann

• cynic
    12 years ago

What I've found about Walmart is that if you have a good work ethic, you'll do fine.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your job. Don't be embarrassed about it! Be proud that you have honest work. You're not harassing people while they have their meals or take their naps. You're not taking advantage of elderly and naive or any number of other things.

I know several people who either work at Walmart or have worked there in the past and basically, all have good things to say about the experience.

I don't shop Walmart often but it's not some prissy attitude thing. It's because there aren't any that are convenient for me! Believe it or not. Plus I avoid huge stores when possible since it's hard to get around although I will say Walmart has a number of the electric carts and they're always fully charged when I've been there. Can't say that for some other stores! The other reason is that I seem to go in with a list of 20 things to get and come out with maybe half of them. Shopping Walmart is like shopping a garage sale. You never know what you'll find! That's not a criticism, it's a fact. I understand how valuable the shelf space is in there so I understand that if it doesn't turn, it's tossed. That's just good business sense.

I still laugh thinking back to when Walmart opened on the iron range in Minnesota. Heavy union area and so the union worked to keep Walmart and Target out of the area. Finally Walmart made the city an offer they couldn't refuse and built a store. Well the old union folk thought they could boycott, picket and close the place down. They huffed and they puffed and... well, it's thriving. Wanna know the funniest part? They news showed people coming there. Husband and wife teams. The one spouse would grab a picket sign and start walking in front of the store. What do you suppose the other spouse did? They went in, grabbed a cart and went shopping! Said it all for me! All those union dollars became Walbucks!

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

I for one am not a fan of the Unions! OK so they had their reasons for existing but I believe that now they are doing more harm than good!

I think people assume retail doesn't pay much but I just found out that a relative makes $120,000 as a grocery store manager and some of his friends make $200,000 as district managers! Hey...what's wrong with that?! NOTHING!!!!

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Susie, I think it is great that you are enjoying your job. There's nothing wrong with having family working in the same place either. In fact that's really fun, when you are all home it probably makes for some interesting conversations.

Nancy

• doucanoe
    12 years ago

So glad you found a job you love, Susie! And the rest of the family, too!

I went to dinner with a group of girlfriends the other night. There were six of us. Not one of us love our jobs, actually most of us don't even like what we're doing. But we all feel stuck until the economy gets better...if it ever does, that is.

So more power to ya!

Linda

• sissyz
    12 years ago

I think it's awesome that you and your entire family are working! There is never shame in working and taking pride in your job.

• donnar57
    12 years ago

I like shopping at Wal-Mart. So far I haven't found a Wal-Mart that I disliked, and we rely on them a lot when we travel. Of course, I was introduced to WM when in college - - my then-boyfriend (now hubby) took me to the one in his hometown. Come to find out, it was the 25th Wal-Mart ever built.

My hubby has been unemployed for awhile, and applying at WM has been something he's thought about, after we get back from this trip (burying his mom). Like the OP, it would be a short commute - - heck, he could WALK!

Donna

• dedtired
    12 years ago

My only gripe with WM is that they are killing Main St America. Of course, shoppers could choose to shop on Main St, but go for the bargains instead -- and why not? The Main St of the small town my parents came from was hanging on by a thread. A Walmart opened nearby and that spelled death for Main St. It is very sad to see all the boarded up shops. Of course, they probably all work for WM now!

• jessyf
    12 years ago

Susie, good for you and your family. I remember thinking that although you were devastated, you would land on your feet - I posted 'change is good'. Sounds like for once I was right!

• mtnester
    12 years ago

But, Pam, the downtown shopping districts were dying long before Walmart came along. In my hometown in CT, a large mall opened in 1960; the stores on Main St couldn't compete, and pretty soon the center of town was a dead zone. The same thing happened in the 1970s here in Baltimore, where the four major department stores all opened branches at suburban malls and eventually closed the downtown stores. People want to shop where it's safe and parking is free and convenient. Bright, clean environments, competitive prices, and friendly staff attract customers, too. I'm sorry that so many downtowns have died (some cities have revitalized them, but with cultural attractions, not just shopping), but I don't think Walmart and Target are to blame--at least, they are a small part of a much bigger picture.

Susie, I'm really happy that your misfortune last year turned into such a great opportunity for you!

Sue

• lsr2002
    12 years ago

I'm glad to hear that you all are happily employed. It makes for better sleep at night.

Lee

• spacific
    12 years ago

Susie_que,

Congratulations to you and your family! Your positive attitude and hard work truly paid off. It was a pleasure to read your account of your family's success at Walmart.

Ann

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

Susie, that's great! I'm glad the job has worked out so well for you.I just wish the Walmarts near had that kind of service. The staff is always very helpful, but I don't think I've ever seen any of them in the apparel departments. Maybe they're understaffed here in PA.

• sayhellonow
    12 years ago

I'm not in this forum very often, but I lurk a lot. I just wanted to say that I'm glad you're in a place you enjoy. It has been said many times, but it's especially true in this economy: Work is a privilege! Congratulations to you, Susie.

• pkramer60
    12 years ago

Susie, congratulations on loving your job at Walmart. I have always been a WM supporter and you have nothing to be ashamed about. Say it with pride.

Walmart isn't killing main street America. Those that do not shop there and the store owners that can't meet the costs are killing Main Street.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

Regarding Main St America. I just think that America has outgrown that type of store. There are just way too many people now for a Mom and Pop store accommodate such a huge population. There are just so many more people now than there were even just 20 years ago and a little 2000 sq ft dime store just isn't going to cut it like it could even 20 years ago!

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

Susie, How great that your unemployed gap was small. And what a bonus that you all are happy with your employer and the proximity to home. I get together quarterly with colleagues from a previous employer (2200 laid off)--all complain that they dislike their new employers for a variety of reasons (in the dark ages technologically speaking, not employee friendly, lack of adequate training, etc.)

Perhaps you will be entertained when an Anti-Walmart Flash Mob Turns Up at your store demanding pensions and benefits for employees or else. If the do, set them straight.

• KatieC
    12 years ago

Congratulations! Work is good, work with a chance of advancement is even better, and work you like is the best.

• Tracey_OH
    12 years ago

So happy for you Susie! A good job that you enjoy is something special. Living in a small southern town, I spend a lot of time (and money) at the Walmart:)

Tracey

• paulines
    12 years ago

It sounds as if you have been impressing the boss, way to go! (and I like shopping at Walmart, especially for toiletries and DH's work jeans)

• lowspark
    12 years ago

I'd like to add my congratulations too. Having a job you look forward to going to is a huge thing. It adds immeasurably to your quality of life. Good for you!!

I for one am not a fan of the Unions! OK so they had their reasons for existing but I believe that now they are doing more harm than good!
    I couldn't agree more. I don't want to get politicial, but I will say that in this day and age, I can't see anything constructive in viewing our employers as "the enemy".

I also agree that the WalMarts & Targets have not been singularly responsible for the death of Main St. America. In fact, suburbia has! Why travel into some central business district to go shopping when you live in the 'burbs and everything you need is right there?

Also, I don't see "Main St. America" as being synomous with "mom & pop" establishments. There are plenty of mom & pop businesses that I know of. The trick is to offer something that the bigger retailers can't or don't. IOW, find a niche and fill it. But isn't that, in fact, what running a business, any business, is about?

• sally2_gw
    12 years ago

Susie, I'll add my congratulations to the list. Way to go. You're so fortunate to find a place you enjoy working at, and people that are good to work with. I don't shop at Walmart often, but when I do, I've found the employees to be very friendly. That's got to be why you fit right in.

Sally

• User
    12 years ago

I couldn't agree more. I don't want to get political, but I will say that in this day and age, I can't see anything constructive in viewing our employers as "the enemy".

May, it isn't just the unions that are guilty. Companies are just as guilty of viewing their employees/union as the enemy.

Ann

• annie1992
    12 years ago

ann T, I agree. Here we had a county administrator whose main focus was to "bust the union". Michigan is an "at-will" state, so people like me who do not have union protection can be fired for no cause. Although I cannot protect my own job, I made darned sure all my staff were union members.

susie, I'm glad you enjoy walMart. I don't go there. Ever. I guess there are Walmarts and there are WalMarts, but I have an Aunt who has worked at the one in Big Rapids for several years. She was told by other co-workers that only men would ever be promoted, and they treat her like carp. She has great employment reviews but will be working in the jewelry department until she dies/retires/quits. She has missed the past four family weddings because they wouldn't give her a Saturday off work, even with two months' advance notice.

So, be happy you have a supervisor you can get along with, it doesn't happen everywhere, or even very many places.

Annie

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

Susie, I am so happy that you sound happy. Good for you!!!

• lowspark
    12 years ago

Ann,
    I'm sure you're right! An adversarial relationship between employer and employees is never good. I am very lucky in that I've always been priveleged to work for companies who value their employees and do not foster or condone that kind of working relationship.

Annie,
    I take it that what you are trying to protect your staff from is arbitrary firings based on something like personality for example? Or is it more like discrimination based on race or sex?

Like I said, I don't want to get political or into any kind of argument about unions, so I won't say more.

As for shopping at Walmart, we have a "neighborhood store" very close to my house -- it's what they call their grocery stores. I never shop there because their produce is abysmal. The other Walmart which is fairly close by, is a full size store. I seldom shop there though because it is in the wrong direction for me, and honestly, I don't think they have anything I really need that I'm not already buying elsewhere for a reasonable price. I'm not one who boycotts the store, though.

• nancylouise5me
    12 years ago

Congratulations Susie and to your family members. Sounds like it is turning into a promising career for you. Although I also don't shop at Walmart, it doesn't mean I can't be happy for you. NancyLouise

• annie1992
    12 years ago

May, I guess since I work for a politician, it is political. When you work for an elected official, and there's an election every 2 years or 4 years or whatever, there's a chance you'll get a new boss with every election. Most of them have friends/family/etc. that they'd like to bring into their employment.

That's what's happening to me now. After 33 years, Chrystal retired and the Judge appointed a friend's kid to take her place. The new guy wants to bring in his own secretary to take my place. It wouldn't be politically astute to fire me, so he's been talking to me about retiring, with the end result being an open position for his old secretary. The longer I wait to retire, the more pressure I get and eventually it will be so difficult to stay that he'll either fire me or I'll retire. He has to run for election next year, so he really doesn't want to fire me, but he doesn't have to make it pleasant for me to stay. If he loses that election, the next guy could fire her, and all the lawyers on staff, if it suits him/her. And yes, it happens.

Can't fire for race, sex, weight, etc., that's discriminatory and illegal, but they can fire you just because and that's legal. Go figure.

Annie

• lowspark
    12 years ago

Wow Annie. That stinks. Like I said, I've been very fortunate having worked for good employers in my career.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

yes, you are. And that's why unions have their place. My support staff are union members and their contract says they can be fired for good cause (drinking on the job, conviction of a felony, physical violence in the workplace, not coming to work, stealing county property, etc). They cannot be fired, however, because someone wants to give his cousin a job.

Annie

• Lars
    12 years ago

I'm also glad that you found a job that you love and that is close to where you live. I don't shop at Walmart either, partly because I do not like big box stores, although I do shop at Home Depot. Another reason is that there is not a Walmart close to me, as the real estate in Western Los Angeles (where I live) is too expensive for Walmart. I never saw a Walmart in San Francisco either, and I think WM avoids the areas where I like to live and shop. I don't like shopping at Target either, but there are a couple of Targets close to me, and so I will go there on occasion. The Target stores smell like cheap plastic or formaldehyde and that is another reason I do not like to shop there. When I do shop, I like to go the trendy streets like Melrose in Hollywood, Third Street Promendate in Santa Monica, or Santa Monica Blvd in WeHo, but I tend to avoid Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills because that's still above my budget and the clerks there are irritating to deal with. I don't like closed shopping malls, but Century City is nice because it is open air.

Still, I am thrilled that you are happy, and I do not think you should feel any stigma attached to working at Walmart. In this economy, it is great to have a job where you can be happy.

Lars

• jothrive
    12 years ago

I'm so glad you enjoy working at Walmart. I certainly like shopping at Walmart, and I was so happy when a Super Walmart opened near our home.

I'm a senior citizen, and I am delighted at how nicely the Walmart staff treats me. It makes shopping at Walmart a pleasure.

I think that how Walmart treats its customers is one of the reasons it is so successful. :)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I'm glad you found something that works great for you!

I shop at Wal Mart all the time and have few complaints about it. The store is clean, the people nice, the stock fresh, the Redbox and McDonald's convenient and the manager is my next door neighbor. If I have any real complaints I know where to go!
    It helps that WM and 2 other grocery stores are all in a 1/3 mile radius in my little town and I can easily hit all three in a short time.

I think because I always shop early in the morning I avoid a lot of the irksome people associated with Wal Mart. At ten there are no families of twelve behind one shopping cart ambling along, or teenagers in packs, or(few) mothers with children. Mostly elderly people alone or with their spouse. And I usually enjoy going there.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations