SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2cohen

Need advice on cancelling contract w/ builder....

mom2cohen
14 years ago

Small background: We signed a contract to build a home with a set price (with the exception that the land prep costs were "allowances" and therefore would be flexible based on what needed to be done to prep the land for the house site). Anyhow, hubby and I have 5 acres and told the builder that "x" was were we wanted to build and he came out to tell us that it was a good spot.

Now, after 30 loads of dirt/rock (totalling $2,800) and $4,000 grand in labor to create the dirt pad, the builder has called to tell us the land is unstable and that we basically "picked the worst spot on the land to build our house"!!!! WTF....shouldn't they have told us that prior to doing all this work!

Anyhow, we told them we were calling it quits and we needed to get the settlement statement so we could see what we owe at this point. Well, I called today to see if they had everything ready and they said that they were still getting invoices in but the total thus far was $15,785!!!! Are we really out all of this or should the builder pick up part of this since they approved the home site without any site testing or evaluation?

They are charging US for everything!!!! Closing Costs, Energy Star Certification, Drawing up of plans, labor, materials, consultations, etc, etc.

I am afraid we are just going to have to give in and pay it but it sure seems like they have SOME responsibility in this matter?!?!? What do you think?

Comments (8)