SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Wolf or Thermador gas range - both on sale - WWYD?

kaysd
12 years ago

I am really torn between buying a 30" Thermador Pro Harmony gas range (PRG304GH) and a Wolf 36" gas range with 4 burners and grill (R364C). I had planned on a Thermador because I can get it for 25% off with an employee discount. I had never even considered a Wolf because of the price point, but then I saw a display model available for about 25% off retail. The Wolf looks to be in good shape except for a lot of scratches on the SS grill cover. The Wolf is about $1,000 more than the Thermador, basically because of the larger size and grill. The larger size is both a pro and a con - it will look more impressive, but also make me re-jigger the kitchen re-model design because of the loss of 6" of cabinet and counter space. I do not know if we would ever use the grill on the Wolf since we BBQ outside year round.

Based on the specs I can find, it appears the Thermador may have better burners. The 4 Thermador burners are 18,000 max BTU and can simmer as low as 375 BTU. The Thermador has star shaped burners that would heat more evenly across a pan bottom than concentric circles supposedly, comparing only sealed burners. The Wolf has 16,000 max BTU burners with 2 rings and a 500 BTU simmer. I honestly do not know enough to know if the difference in BTUs will make a difference to me, since my prior range was a GE Profile.

The Wolf has a larger oven, but that will also mean more time pre-heating, I assume. The Thermador has a 23,500 BTU bake and 20,000 BTU broiler. I could not find comparable info for the Wolf. The Thermador comes with telescopic racks - for the Wolf you have to buy them separately - I do not know if they will make a difference since I have never had telescopic racks before.

Based on the burner power and the racks, the Thermador seems like a better deal, at least on paper. At the same time, I know the Wolf has a great reputation. I know Thermador had some issues in the past, although I do not know if there were any problems with the gas ranges. Gas ranges have such simple parts that it is hard to anticipate what would break down that would be a big deal.

The Thermador is $1,000 less and plenty big for our needs based on how we have cooked in the past, but I keep thinking about the Wolf, especially since it is so rare to get a bargain on one. I would appreciate any advice, as I need to act very quickly if I want the Wolf.

Comments (7)