SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
d_dub_gw

Air Tubs: Bain Ultra vs Oceania??

d_dub
16 years ago

We have researched a number of "air tubs" and read many comments in the threads on this site. We have narrowed our choices down to two manufactures/models.

BainUltra Amma 6636

Oceania Providence 40

Our requirement of of greater than 46" length of inner basin and less that 68" outer length of tub focuses us on 5.5' tubs. We are leaning toward the BainUltra Amma 6636 because of style, integrated arm rest and grip rails. However, it seems that some sales representatives as well as the technician at Oceania believe that the air produced and injected into the Oceania tub is warmer and due in part to the use of a muffler, the Oceania turbine is quieter than the BainUltra system.

BTW: The BainUltra Turbine Spec. sheet suggest that a muffler is added to the turbine if you get the UR5002 remote option. Is this true? Does anyone have any information on it making a difference in noise level of turbine.

Is Oceania's injected air hotter than BainUltra's?

Is Oceania's turbine quieter than BainUltra's?

Is there a superior 5.5' tub manufacture/model we've missed?

Any decision support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (20)

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

d dub, can you tell me about this UR5002 remote? I have a Bain Ultra sitting in the garage awaitng installation. Due to remodel constraints, we had to go with the Thalassa55. I'd like to know about this muffler and remote if you know any more about it. Sorry, I don't know anything about the Oceania air tubs.
    Thanks,
    Monica

• d_dub
    Original Author
    16 years ago

monicakm,

I understand well the concept of remodeling constraints. Although we are leaning toward the additional air jets afforded by the inverted V-back and raised seat of the Amma 6636, we might miss the additional 2" of width in the hip area of the Thalassa 55, which was at the top of our list.

The UR5002 is a waterproof remote control unit offered as an option on the Amma 6636, Thalassa 55, as well as many other, if not all, Bain Ultra tubs. The remote just allows you to control the turbine and lighting w/o having to reach out the water for a tub mounted control. The remote has two components, one handheld component that you can jump in the tub with and the other component, which can be mounted anywhere in the bathroom within a reasonable range.

You may not have to worry about the "muffler." What I found out from a specific conversation with a technical representative at Bain Ultra today is that the "muffler/filter" is a turbine noise mitigation feature that was included with those who upgraded from the standard control unit to the UR 5002 remote controller. However, the current generation turbine that Bain Ultra is using on all of there tubs does not require the muffler/filter. The older generation turbine that was use a year and a half to two years ago had a noise level of 70-80dB and the muffler reduced the noise level a little bit. The current generation turbine has a noise level of 50-60dB at maximum speed and the muffler/filter has neglible to no effect in reducing noise further. Thus, the technical representative states that the muffler/filter was something that was brought over from the old generation turbine and will be phased out. This probably has something to do with noise frequency and muffler/filter design. I'm thinking that Bain Ultra has decided that once you get the turbine down to the 50-60 dB range, the air bubbles make more noise than the turbine.

This actually answers the turbine noise question:
    Ocenia turbine: 68 dB
    Bain Ultra turbine: 50-60 dB

The new generation turbine being used by Bain Ultra is quieter than Oceania from a technical perspective. My guess would be that Oceania is possibly using a muffler/filtered version of a turbine similar to the prior generation turbine used by Bain Ultra. Oceania's current muffler/filter allowed them to be a bit quieter than the prior generation turbine used by Bain Ultra.

monicakm, your Thalassa 55 surely has the new generation turbine and operates within the 50-60dB range. According to the Bain Ultra technical representative, the muffler/filter is not necessary and does nothing to further improve the performance or noise level of the new generation turbine. Otherwise, the remote (UR5002), if you choose to get one, can be an expensive perk.

Sincerely,
    d_dub

• Related Discussions

Bain Ultra Air Tub 'Hidden' Features!

Q

Comments (2)
    wow thanks! I just used mine once, just moved back in after remodelling. Our remodel took so long that our tub is obsolete, no longer sold! (pro meridian 55) but I love it. And I don't have the manual (long story, lost in a flood) so thanks again for the tips!! I love how bubbly it makes bubble bath!
    ...See More

Air Tubs - Bain Ultra Basa vs Maax Pearl

Q

Comments (3)
    I have had nothing but problems with my Bain Ultra jet tub. My tub would turn on randomly throughout the night, so I would be in bed and hear air rushing from the tub in the middle of the night. Within a year of installation the lights on the keypad stopped functioning. Called their customer service department and they will not honor their warranty. Apparently their electronics and keypads are poorly constructed. The Bain employee I spoke to suggested I replace the tub altogether.
    ...See More

BainUltra Amma AirTub - need help with faucet placement

Q

Comments (2)
    could you maybe angle it towards the middle but place it closer to one end than the other so it isn't sticking so far into the tub? the water could still flow out at the middle of the tub, but maybe have the actual hole for the filler be farther up towards one end? if it swivels, you could push it out of the way once the tub is filled as well. also, try thinking about placing the 4 parts (filler, hot & cold, spray) separately & see what ideas you come up with. i have a different tub but similar style & have my hot/cold on the opposite end from my filler since there was not enough room for all three on either end. lisa
    ...See More

Bain ultra Air tub

Q

Comments (2)
    Why don't you contact customer service at Bain ultra ? I am sure they will be able to help you better than anybody else . They will also know if there is a defect and can send you the parts if needed .
    ...See More
  • monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

d dub, I KNOW I'd miss the extra hip area (lol). That was my top priority..first width and then depth (within the overall width we could handle). I liked the inverted V and the leg area of the Amma too but wanted it to be as spacious inside as I could get and fit in the existing space.
    Thank you for all your tech support/advice :) DH will do what he can underneath with insulation to help with turbine noise...bubble noise is a given. As for the waterproof remote...I think I can manage to reach ALL the way up to the controls without suffering too much (g) But, it's nice to know that there is an option :) Are you getting the chromeathearpy lights? I did. Can't wait till it's installed! Have you made up your mind yet as to which tub you're buying?
    Monica

• d_dub
    Original Author
    16 years ago

monicakm, I will be definitely one to miss the extra hip area (lol). Interestingly, our selection priority is first length, with a minimum width of, say 19", then arm rest, grab bars, and style within underlying space constraints. The great thing about Bain Ultra is that we could select between a number of great tubs including: Amma 6636, Thalassa 55, Azur 55, TMU 533, Pro Meridian 55, and the Origami 6636. Alternatively, Oceania only has one tub in two different size that will work for our installation, namely Providence 36 & 40, neither has the length of the Amma 6636. Both Bain Ultra and Oceania are actually willing to only mold tile flange to the head and foot of the tub for our desire installation.

Yes, we are stretching and getting the chromeathearpy. :-)The chromeathearpy lights became a must for us after reading on this list where a person didn't desire it, yet the tub they purchased came with them, and now they wouldn't want to live without the chromeathearpy. Many others really seem to enjoy the feature.

My additional conversations with multiple tech support people on both the Bain Ultra and Oceania sides suggest the following:

Turbine Noise Level: Bain Ultra is quieter than Oceania
    Injected Air Temp: Oceania is warmer than Bain Ultra

I got different numbers from different technical representatives, but according to the numbers, Oceania puts out a warmer air temperature than Bain Ultra from the blower. Then Bain Ultra looses some air temperature through convectively heating the back rest. It only makes sense that the air arriving at the tub would be warmer for the Oceania units.

Oh yeah, after much prayer and research we have decided to go ahead with the Bain Ultra Amma 6636. As tom_p_pa reiterates, the general sentiment with both suppliers and blogs is that Bain Ultra is tops. Moreover, the Amma 6636 is just flat out a beautifully designed tub, whereas the Providence by Oceania is just a square tub. Hum..., it is our hope that the air injected into the tub by Bain Ultra is warm enough, as the Bain Ultra Amma 6636 wins on all other counts for our installation.

Sincerely,
    don

• dlm99
    16 years ago

I am remodeling my master bath & decided on the Amma Oval 7242. How do you like your BainUltra ddub? Is it worth the extra $ for the upgraded control?

• cindyasahi
    16 years ago

does bain make a two person tub

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

Yes, they have several 2 person models.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bain Ultra Line Up

• onztown
    16 years ago

Check out their web site www.bainultra.com. Forget the Oceania. Bain Ultra is the leader in the air bath industry. By the way, you can remote the turbine I believe up to 15 feet away. That might help on some of the noise. Their customer service can also help you with anything. Give them a call.

• brendamc
    16 years ago

Any input or photos on the looks of the BU Elegancia 7242? It's overmounted with a curvy, yet rectangular shape... Love the looks of it on the website, but I can't find a live one anywhere...

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

onztown, I was concerned about the inevitable noise from the turbine on my BU Thalassa. The only place we could locate ours was in a closet directly in front of the tub. It's such a non-issue. Rarely hear it and when I do, it's just faint high pitched whine. Mostly all I hear is the air rushing thru the channels and the bubble noise. I'm SO happy I chose this brand of air tub...thank you GW Bath Forum :)

• bonnieg011
    16 years ago

I have the Bain Ultra thermal oval 55 ---in a box in my bedroom.....tomorrow the box gets opened and they will begin the installation. But, I'm still about a month away before the work will be finished in the bathroom so I'll won't get to enjoy the tub for a while. Glad all of you who have the Bain Ultra are so happy with it. (in spite of the hidden menu).

• peggross1
    16 years ago

Have any of you Bain Ultra owners added insulation when installing your air tub so that the tub better retains heat? Or have you discussed this with the tech people at Bain Ultra and if so, would you please share what they said?

We have the Thalassa 50 and I've read elsewhere on GW that people planned to insulate with a spray foam insulation.

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

DH put took the paper off of batting style insulation and stuffed it around the cavity of our Thalassa 55. He also wrapped the (air) pipes with pipe insulation. Something I've done to keep the water hotter longer is not fill the tub as full as I'm going to want it, turn on the jets, then turn off the cold water and turn the hot water stream down so it will slowly fill the tub using a slow stream of hot water only. It steadily compensates for the air's cooling effect on the water.
    Monica

• lwolff_comcast_net
    15 years ago

Wish I'd seen this link sooner but I'll post my 2 cents...

The air issue is a biggie! We have the Bain Ultra Amma and it came with dual back heaters. When we installed it, the back warmers didn't heat and the air jets were cold. The tech support was fantastic and they immediately shipped me a new motor. Unfortuantely, It didn't help much. I guess remotely locateing the motor just has the air cool too much making the run?? I LOVE the chromatherapy. I generally don't use the air jets in winter b/c it cools the water in the tub too quickly. :-( So I basically have a beautiful large bathtub with really cool lighting.

Their tech support is awesome but unfortunately the air is what it is... An inline heater is not an option with this tub b/c both ports are used up with the worthless back heaters...

Here is a link that might be useful: my tub

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

Lisa, I'm sorry you're not happy with your tub :( According to my manual, the dual back rest tubs have an in-line heater. I can't understand why they do and the single back heated tubs can't have one. You can't even add one (according to tech support). Do you know that the intensity of the air is directly related (on my tub anyway) to the warmth of the backrest? The more intense the air flow, the warmer the backrest. Might be different with yours tho. That's one of my favorite things about the tub (and the chromatherapy) :) How far away is the motor? My water does cool down but getting it hotter in the beginning or keeping a bit of hot water running compensates for that. LOVE my Bain Ultra tub!!
    Monica

• lwolff
    15 years ago

Thanks Monica -- Mine are linked too... I've only used it on the highest intensity!

• hyerground
    15 years ago

Both are fine quality airbaths. My preference is BainUltra, they were creators of airbaths and have really done a fanstastic job perfecting it. Not to mention there customer service is absolutely fabulous. They definitely know there product inside and out

• rtwill
    12 years ago

I have had nothing but problems with my Bain Ultra jet tub. My tub would turn on randomly throughout the night, so I would be in bed and hear air rushing from the tub in the middle of the night. Within a year of installation the lights on the keypad stopped functioning. Called their customer service department and they will not honor their warranty. Apparently their electronics and keypads are poorly constructed. The Bain employee I spoke to suggested I replace the tub altogether.

• Elaine Summers
    9 years ago

Our Bain Essencia has not worked correctly since installation. The two lights either do not work, or are different colors or flash and then stop working. Sometimes one light stays on, red, all the time regardless if the tub is shut off. While Bain has shipped us a replacement Blower/controller as well as 3 replacement light controllers, the lights still do not work. We have had the local distributor's Bain expert install the new parts and troubleshoot, still no solution. We also have the blower installed about 14 ft away and we have the problem with cold air and unheated backrests. We only have the 700 watt heater in the blower and no inline heater.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm