SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soshh

Question for tile experts re: marble mosaic vs. hex in shower

soshh
16 years ago

Help! I had decided on using 4x4 nero marquina in our bathroom, with the shower being the same tile in a mosaic, running bond. Great!

However, our master closet it attached to our bath and our contractor has suggested we tile the closet. It used to be our bathroom, so the wood floor is not intact. I thought maybe we'd carpet, but since we might walk in there after showering, I decided that's probably not good.

I don't want to spend the $18 or so per square foot on flooring in the closet. It's about 5x9 feet, so while not huge, it's not an extra $800+ expense we need. also don't necessarily want to have to get three kinds of tile, the 4x4 nero marquina, the mosaic nero marquina and another tile for the adjoining closet.

I wondered if we did a hex tile in black in the shower would it work? Then we could use the same lesser expensive tile in the closet. I have read several posts about marble in showers, and if it's thought that porcelain or ceramic is a better option it may sway my choices.

FWIW, the wall tile will be a combo of subway and 6x6 with a fine crackle finish, and the vanity top is honed jet mist granite. I am going for a vintage/ slightly Victorian/slightly retro look.

Thanks for any advice or opinions!

Comments (9)