SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brian78_gw

Help with pre-slope removal and drain

brian78
11 years ago

Hello all,

I am in the middle of a tile shower remodel and while I have done considerable research (including reading the Kerdi Shower part deux post about 30 times) am I nonetheless stuck on what to do with the existing pre-slope mortar bed.

I removed the tile, mortar bed and vinyl liner with relative ease and now am left with the pre-slope and traditional drain. I was planning on doing the kerdi shower kit but about 15 min into trying to chip out the pre-slope to create the required flat level surface, I realized that there must be a better way :-)

Here is what the existing pre-slope looks like. You can see the left corner looks wet where I was chipping it out. (the right corner is wet because that's where the leak existed that caused mold damage to our adjacent bedroom carpet - hence, this project)

I had hoped to reuse the pre-slope and simply put the kerdi membrane over top but in my completely inexperienced opinion, the pre-slope doesn't look like it was constructed very well...it certainly doesn't look like the pictures in Mongo's thread.

Question 1. The kerdi pre-formed shower pan has to sit on a flat surface, is there any option that doesn't involve me chipping out this pre-slope mortar bed? From the picture does it appear that the pre-slope is OK to reuse? or can I "repair" it, level it, fill it in...sprinkle magic fairy dust on it to make it instantly flat and perfectly sloped?

Question 2. The drain - as you can see from the pictures, the drain is flush with the pre-slope. I am unclear on what needs to happen here. Do I need to get that drain out of there? or is this where I would use the kerdi drain adapter thingy - meaning I bought the wrong kerdi drain? (note: this is a slab foundation, no access from below)

A bonus question - if you are so inclined - the bench is built into the shower already (see pics) and originally had a vinyl membrane over it down into the pan liner. Can I just kerdi over it as is? Treat it like any other seam? i assume yes but maybe someone in the know can confirm.

I can't begin to express my gratitude for all of the knowledge you share so freely in this forum. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and (hopefully) help me.

-Brian

Comments (13)