SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladygibbs

Kerdi Questions & No Pre-Slope

ladygibbs
6 years ago

Ugh!

My shower quotes came back around $7k. Which is NOT in the budget. So apparently I'm learning how to waterproof and tile. After lots of research I decided to use Kerdi-Board. I see a lot of mixed reviews, but I think it would be the easiest for a DIY like me.

The only thing I am scared about doing is the mortar bed. So I am letting my contractor do it. He isn't comfortable using a Kerdi drain so he is putting in a traditional mortar bed/liner. Kerdi (well everyone) recommends putting a pre-slope under the pan liner. My contractor absolutely refuses to put in a pre-slope. I just got off the phone with him after we argued back and forth, which ended with him saying he has always done it without, and none have ever leaked, etc.

He is the person with all the experience, and I am just a girl who does a lot of reading. He won't budge. Is my shower floor going to be a disaster without a pre-slope? :(

Can I put Kerdi membrane over the mortar bed for extra protection even though there will already be a pan liner below the mortar? I had planned on it, so I have already purchased the membrane. But I read somewhere that doing double waterproof might cause problems. Doubling up would make me feel more comfortable...

If I don't use the membrane on the floor, how do you waterproof the bottom of the board where it meets the mortar bed?

And lastly. The contractor is saying the Kerdi Board walls are way too flimsy and going to crack tile as soon as you lean on them. I am following the installation instructions with 16" stud centers. I am thinking it will firm up once it's all screwed down and tiled. Has anyone had any problems with it being too flimsy?

Help! I'm panicking!

PS. I can not find anyone else to do the mud pan. No one has worked with Kerdi around here and refuses to do the mortar bed if I'm going to use Kerdi for the walls.

Comments (40)