SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

What would do with limited space?

ncamy
13 years ago

Currently on the drawing board is a linen closet in our guest bath that will only be 13 inches deep. This makes the guest closet on the other side of the common wall only 22 inches deep. Both are almost 6 feet long. I know that neither is the perfect size or even ideal, but also neither of these spaces will ever be used on a long term basis by us. We tend to have guests about two weekends out of every month.

I suppose I need the linen side more because I will have to store towels, extra toilet paper and cleaning supplies for the bathroom. A dry walled linen closet is a lot cheaper for us to build than cabinetry. So my question is should I leave the dimensions as is or should I steal an extra inch from the guest closet making it 21 inches deep? I know a clothes closet should be 24 inches but believe it or not the 75 year old house we are renting now has closets that are only 19 inches deep and yes, full-sized hangers do fit in them...barely. On the other hand I also currently store towels on a shelf that is only 8 inches deep and they overhang it to about 12 inches. So I'm pretty sure that I can squeeze the towels into the 13 inch deep linen closet.

Elimenating the linen closet would leave me with nothing but a 27 inch sink base for storage and would make the empty guest closet 41 inches deep by 6 feet long. Reducing the depth of the closet would leave an awkward jag in the room. I would prefer to have a continuous straight wall.

Bottom line: does my proportion (of 13/22) seem to be the best with what I've got to work with? Thanks for your insight.

Comments (8)