SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bulldog09

Bench and hooks instead of foyer closet?

bulldog09
15 years ago

Hi--We are in the planning stage of an arts-and-crafts style home in Wisconsin. We have three young kids (ages 3-8) and plan to stay in the house until the youngest drives off to college in a rusty 2006 Volvo (fingers crossed for both the kid and the Volvo).

What do you think about a bench and hooks at the front door instead of a foyer closet? Linked is an inspiration photo. Our floorplan is small and there is really no other place for a coat closet. We will have a big mudroom off the garage and nice closet space in the bedrooms upstairs for our off-season coats.

Our lifestyle is very casual. When we entertain, our friends automatically stoop and take off their (usually) snowy boots at the front door. They might hand me a dish to share while I talk and greet their kids--getting heavy coats on a hanger is a hassle. So I think a bench and hooks would work well for our lifestyle.

I wonder if there is a way to do it so it could be easily converted to a closet for resale? For instance, building it into a wall alcove the dimensions of a closet?

Many thanks, Liz

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!