SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shmeal_gw

Is a front entry closet necessary?

shmeal
12 years ago

We are meeting with our designer tomorrow for hopefully our last review and update of our floorplans. I'm trying to tweak a few more square feet for my project room which will be combined with our laundry room. The best way I can see accomplishing this is to lose the front entry closet. Realistically, when friends drop by they take off their shoes and kick them against the wall, and their coat ends up on the couch or they drop it over the bannister. Even though we had a coat closet in our last house, the only time people used it is if they were staying as guests for several days and only then if I physically took their coat and hung it up.

So, I'm wondering if adding a mudroom type bench with hooks above for guest's shoes and coats wouldn't be more practical and more used. We live in an area where people wear jackets or coats for about half the year. I'm thinking that folks don't like opening other people's closets to hang up or get out their own coats and if they saw a hook, and a storage area for shoes they would understand that they could / should use it for their coats and shoes.

Also, if I do this, should I center the door on the total width of the entry - which is 8'? Or should I center the door on the remaining floor space (6 1/2') which would mean the door would not be centered on the exterior entry as you walk up to the front door.

We will have a mudroom off the garage for family coats, shoes, etc.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert