SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bolters100

help with smell in living room please guys!!

bolters100
10 years ago

hi guys

i have a strange problem, i get an old dirty/musty smell in my living room but strangely only when i open the windows??

i live in a flat in a block containing 8 properties, i keep my flat very clean and it never smells at all at any other time, i don't have the same problem in any of the other rooms.

with summer approaching this is becoming a huge problem.

i've lived here for 3 years now, it's only been happening the past 1- 1 1/2 years.

the living room smells fine, i have wooden blinds that i've taken down and cleaned thoroughly, i've cleaned the windows and window panels, nothing individually smells in the living, it all smells fine, then when i open up the window the air outside smells fresh and fine so it's not the air coming from outside, everything in the livingroom smells fine but within a few minutes the room smells of like an old hospital, a really old dirty musty smell, like an old charity shop if you can imagine?

i just cant work it out, i thought it was the air reacting with the blinds but i have the same wooden blinds in the kitchen so it's not that, when i moved in their was already carpet and i don't know how long it's been here so i'm leaning towards that being the culprit.

it's only when i open the windows in my living room that this happends, the air outside snells fine and everything in my living does also so i've deduced that the air is interacting with something to create this smell?

my guees is the carpet but it will cost a minimum of �600 to replace which i don't have and the carpet otherwise doesn't really smell

can anyone help please, any ideas?

i'm dreading the summer coming and not being able to have the windows open in my living room

thanks guys

Comments (15)